Comic for May 25, 2023: Reni's Wrath pt2

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

rwstyles
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: mrs nibbley

Re: Comic for May 25, 2023: Reni's Wrath pt2

#16 Post by rwstyles »

Dadrobit wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:04 pm I mentioned this in Picarto chat, but I think it maybe warrants a more permanent posting here as well. If this page and maybe the next are of Reni genuinely killing Clovis's soul, then it is quite the frightening character development for her indeed, due to Tom's implementation of souls as tangible objects in TwoKinds.

As a baseline, I think the concept of a soul in most stories is one that is implemented as something of a comforting idea. The thought that living is only the first step in the journey, and that choices have consequences for people after death, both good and bad. But in TwoKinds souls are nearly corporeal even while the person themselves are still alive. We have seen souls being damaged, repaired, summoned, enslaved, consumed, and possibly here even destroyed. And quite horrifyingly, all of this is being done not by Gods, but simply by other mortal beings with more resources. Yes, the dragons engaging in this practice are certainly powerful beings, but they are still just characters going about their days as anyone else, far cries from literal Gods. I don't think people who casually read through the comic may completely comprehend what an honestly terrifying reality Mekkan is for the people who live there. Where you might not only be murdered, but like, TURBO-MURDERED. Not just killed and sent for afterlife/judgement like everyone else, but having that even that stripped from you as your very essence is erased from all existence.

Which brings me back to Reni who has so far has been doing a pretty good job of a non-lethal run by making sure to take both Brutus and Sera alive previous to this page. Brutus in particular was even taking part in firebombing the town and still Reni stayed her hand.... Mostly...

I'm not saying that Clovis doesn't deserve his fiery comeuppance, or that Reni has gone too far, or that I don't understand her rage after what Clovis just did to her. But I am saying that jumping from refraining from killing someone who was helping firebomb children, to full blown turbo-murdering Clovis is one helluva jump and it is absolutely a notable change to her character. I just hope Tom takes some time in the comic for Reni to actually reflect on what she did here and it doesn't just get glossed over because "d'awww cute nerdy derg blushes".

'Course, that's all assuming this is her killing his soul and not just like, severing the link or just hurting him. :mrgrin:
They do "destroying the soul" in some other comics. DMFA & Project Future for one. It's a high crime, but done.

There is an erotic comic where it is done causally, as light entertainment and a power source.

targetdrone
Traveler

#17 Post by targetdrone »

hmm.. getting fwoooshed in the mindscape... thats a neat form of lobotomizing someone i guess ;)
Insert signature here

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#18 Post by BadFoMo »

Is it just me, or does anyone else see Reni only metaphorically killing Clovis? As in she's only destroying his personality and memories; sort of like what happened to Trace.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Vakaaja
Fav. Twokinds Character: Reni

#19 Post by Vakaaja »

I think Reni is just trying to get free instead of destroying the soul of Clovis. The pain may force Clovis to break their connection, or Reni may overwhelm the weakened magic holding her. If she gets free, she will likely try to capture Clovis alive.

targetdrone
Traveler

#20 Post by targetdrone »

BadFoMo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:05 am Is it just me, or does anyone else see Reni only metaphorically killing Clovis? As in she's only destroying his personality and memories; sort of like what happened to Trace.
well... considering that trace has his episodes, i'd say, the cases are different. His memories don't seem to be destroyed, more... buried?
I don't imagine clovis in the real world being more than a drooling husk. sooo, unless they have a soul on hand in need of a foxy body, said body will probably cease working in short order.
Insert signature here

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#21 Post by AmigaDragon »

I think perhaps part of the result of this may be Clovis burned out, unable to do magic for some time. What is the longest we have seen or heard of someone on Mekkan being burned out? In El Goonish Shive, Nanase was burned out for weeks, I think, after the angel/guardian spell.

I've been wondering how much of the fight damage (broken horn, shiner and stab) will translate back to his folf body when he loses the dragon form.

Also, maybe Nora's curse resurfaces (merely covered/suspended by the amulet, not removed).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#22 Post by Sky Shatter »

That "update every Wednesday" is slipping more and more every week!

Ainoko Ironrose
Citizen

#23 Post by Ainoko Ironrose »

Sky Shatter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:15 am That "update every Wednesday" is slipping more and more every week!

https://twitter.com/TwoKinds/status/166 ... 62050?s=20
I found my thrill...
On Blueberry Hill...

It was there...
I made my first kill...