The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Comic for May 10, 2023: Nice Catch!

#16 Post by Eclipse »

Dreamfox wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:18 pm
Eclipse wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:29 am
AmigaDragon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 am Raine: "I... don't think I'm the one who did that."
Why wouldn't she know it wasn't her? Wouldn't she feel the magic if she did it, even it it ended up being a joint save with Trace? Did Trace remember that spell from before his amnesia or did he (re)learn it in books since then? Or was it more instinctive magic than learned?
Because she can't fully control her magic yet. She might not have enough skill/experience to be able to entirely know what she's doing.
Just like I don't think anyone knew that you could boost a teleport in progress before she id it.
Exactly. Raine doesn't know her own strength, she seems to be much more powerful than she can handle right now so she doesn't full control.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#17 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:45 pm
AmigaDragon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 am Raine: "I... don't think I'm the one who did that."
Why wouldn't she know it wasn't her? Wouldn't she feel the magic if she did it, even it it ended up being a joint save with Trace? Did Trace remember that spell from before his amnesia or did he (re)learn it in books since then? Or was it more instinctive magic than learned?
Because she can't fully control her magic yet. She might not have enough skill/experience to be able to entirely know what she's doing.
Just like I don't think anyone knew that you could boost a teleport in progress before she id it.
Exactly. Raine doesn't know her own strength, she seems to be much more powerful than she can handle right now so she doesn't full control.
Tom is on record saying that Raine is the single most powerful non-dragon character in the cast. It makes sense she wouldn't know her own strength; nobody does. Also doesn't help that she never got any formal training, and pretty much grew up alone...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#18 Post by AmigaDragon »

But she did intend to do it to Carver, somehow recognizing a teleport and pushing.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Eclipse
Templar Master

#19 Post by Eclipse »

Bellhead wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:15 pm
Tom is on record saying that Raine is the single most powerful non-dragon character in the cast. It makes sense she wouldn't know her own strength; nobody does. Also doesn't help that she never got any formal training, and pretty much grew up alone...
Even more powerful than Trace? Wow, that's kind of surprising. Whatever the case yeah, difficult to control your powers or tell if you're even using them when you have that level of power and that kind of upbringing.

Strongfang
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#20 Post by Strongfang »

Bellhead wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:15 pm
For clarification, as this has been brought up and asked on stream recently. Raine's raw magical capacity, as in her magical reservoir, how much mana can be stored in the body, barring dragons, is the highest amongst the cast, and yes, she does have a lot of potential to grow, but her raw magical power is still inferior to Trace's.

She can use more magic than him without burning out, as her magical capacity is higher, and with training she can definitely be a force to be reckoned with, but Trace's magical power output, is still the highest of the main cast. Basically Trace at his best, is more powerful than Raine at her best, but she would be able to use more magic than him, as her body can store a larger amount of mana.

S'aaruuk
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#21 Post by S'aaruuk »

Strongfang wrote:Trace at his best, is more powerful than Raine at her best, but she would be able to use more magic than him, as her body can store a larger amount of mana.
Would that explain why Trace, while not outwardly showing any actual strain or particularly excess effort while catching Natani, seems to be quietly grunting just a bit and exhaling "phew" at the end when Keith now has her?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#22 Post by Bellhead »

S'aaruuk wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:19 am
Strongfang wrote:Trace at his best, is more powerful than Raine at her best, but she would be able to use more magic than him, as her body can store a larger amount of mana.
Would that explain why Trace, while not outwardly showing any actual strain or particularly excess effort while catching Natani, seems to be quietly grunting just a bit and exhaling "phew" at the end when Keith now has her?
I'm not so sure. Back in chapter 6, he did so without even a hint of strain, or huffing, or anything. And don't forget that Trace was Grand Templar. You don't get to that position by chance, and it doesn't happen without immense magic ability. Granted, he stole the position, but still. His strain is probably because his magic still hasn't recovered. He still has a black hand, after all, and I'd bet with his body the way it is, that little bit is all he can do at the moment. Like lifting weights with a freshly healed broken arm.

Raine, on the other hand, never had the black magic corruption that Trace did/does. I'd bet even Red could have caught him, if he wasn't an exhausted, semi-unconscious keidran hater. Raine is probably the only magic-using one left uninjured at the moment, which would explain why she hasn't shown any strain.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#23 Post by jacobc62 »

S'aaruuk wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:19 am
I'm assuming that would be Keith giving a sigh of relief as Nat lands in his arms. The poor guy was running to try and catch Nat not knowing if he was going to make it, or if he was even going to be successful at it.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016