What happened in 1? How big is that lake?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

mongoosemazanec
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

What happened in 1? How big is that lake?

#1 Post by mongoosemazanec »

I am about 2/3 through the archive.
I love maps and chronologies.
Is there canon/fanon/WAG what started the Mekkan Epoch (ala Jesus birth, Rome founding, etc.)?
Any handle on how big that lake is in the middle of the continent? Say, compared to Lake Erie (I am a lifelong Clevelander)
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

mongoosemazanec
Traveler

Re: What happened in 1? How big is that lake?

#2 Post by mongoosemazanec »

Oh btw, I also like cladistics.
Any guess what order Basitin might belong in? At first I naturally thought Lagomorpha based on ears, but they really don't look anything like rabbits otherwise...not even in the ears. Fictional order?
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3 Post by IHeartMaeve »

First of all, try not to double-post next time.

And second, the Basitins appear to be a kind of mix of assorted animals, like rabbits and cats. It's kinda hard to explain. As for the timeline, Mekkan is kind of its own world, not meant to be overthought in terms of time placement.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

As far as we know, by lore given by Tom through streams and DeviantART posts, Mekkan as we know it was created a few hundred years ago by the Masks; Neutral, Order and Chaos. Neutral, or Ephemural, represents the Keidran races, and we believe Order represents the Basitin and Chaos represents Humans. To that end, these three are demigods, and they "created" the world for their "game". Last race standing wins. Remember when Euchre mentioned rules? That's what he meant; interfering with the Masks' game. The only outlier there is the Dragons. Their race is old; older than this world, and they are not a part of the Masks' game.

As for the size of Mekkan.. Hmm...

Based on the Twokinds World Map, we can make a few estimates. For instance, we know it took about a month to sail from Wreathwood to the Basidian isles, with less-than-favorable winds. Based on a quick google search, the distance from London to New York took roughly 6 weeks travel with favorable weather, so... Wreathwood to the Basidian isles is roughly Colorado to the tip of North Carolina? Give or take? That would make Mekkan from south Basidian to the arctic north roughly the size of Eurasia. I think. And if that's the case, "Great Lake" would be about the size of Lake Michigan, maybe a little smaller, and the East and West seas roughly the size of the Mediterranean.

Then again, this is all relative to a google search based on average sailing ship voyage durations from 200 years ago. So I could well be WAY far off.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

mongoosemazanec
Traveler

#5 Post by mongoosemazanec »

So the races are only a few centuries old (assuming Mekkan years are the same as Terran ones)? That would explain why there are only three languages. They have not had time to diverge. It took Latin almost a couple millennia to become our Romance Languages. So East Basitin and West Basitin might be dialects like British and American English (separated by similar durations).

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

mongoosemazanec wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 am So the races are only a few centuries old (assuming Mekkan years are the same as Terran ones)? That would explain why there are only three languages. They have not had time to diverge. It took Latin almost a couple millennia to become our Romance Languages. So East Basitin and West Basitin might be dialects like British and American English (separated by similar durations).
There are four separate dialects in Mekkan, but East and West Basitin are not separate. Human and Basitin are their own languages, and aside from accents of various regions, are essentially compatible with other native speakers. Keidran, on the other hand, have "High Keidran" and "Low Keidran", used for nobility and commoners, respectively. Natani, for instance, speaks low Keidran, while Eric can speak high and low Keidran. I don't know how different they are, but there is a distinct difference. Near as I can tell, it's a level of refinement of the language; such as adding different tenses, phrasing differences, etc.

Side note, in the Keidran languages, personal pronouns are different between Males and Females, hence how Natani was able to keep his secret so long with obviously feminine hair.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.