Comic For August 20th, 2022: Traditional Diplomacy

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic For August 20th, 2022: Traditional Diplomacy

#16 Post by Warrl »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:47 pmWe know that Keidran aren't fertile until a week after they've been in heat
And we have no idea when Therie was most recently in heat. So it's entirely possible that she's already pregnant (or will be within minutes due to what she's already done - let alone her plans for tonight).

It has long been known that humans and keidran are mutually infertile. Under even the most expansive plausible interpretation of what Neutral changed, there hasn't been time for much proof that things have changed - yes there are pregnancies contradicting it, and probably lots of them particularly among teenage humans and teenage-equivalent keidran, but nobody's seen the newborns yet because none have been born yet. That leaves miscarriages, and probably there hasn't been all that much study of what fetuses look like at various points.

Further, we've been told that the tigers live relatively isolated. When word does get around, it will likely be slow to get to them... except to the extent that it originates with them.

And I get the impression that Dahlia approves of (or at least doesn't strongly object to) her daughter's actions.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#17 Post by Eclipse »

Warrl wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:05 pm And we have no idea when Therie was most recently in heat. So it's entirely possible that she's already pregnant (or will be within minutes due to what she's already done - let alone her plans for tonight).
Well we don't know one way or the other, so it's hard to say for sure, but I have a feeling Therie was in heat pretty recently. Sleeping with a human sounds like something you'd come up with while you're horny.
Warrl wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:05 pm And I get the impression that Dahlia approves of (or at least doesn't strongly object to) her daughter's actions.
Well yeah. She's fondly reminiscing on her youth as she's seeing her daughter's antics, which implies she may have done something similar herself. Not quite sure if it went to the extent of sleeping with a human but it sounds like she got around a bit as many Keidrans tend to do. The only thing she might have an objection to is doing so with a human if she had those kinds of prejudices, but it doesn't sound like she does (she probably wouldn't be the one negotiating on behalf of the Tiger Tribes if she did).

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#18 Post by Hulk10 »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 pm
Warrl wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:05 pm And we have no idea when Therie was most recently in heat. So it's entirely possible that she's already pregnant (or will be within minutes due to what she's already done - let alone her plans for tonight).
Well we don't know one way or the other, so it's hard to say for sure, but I have a feeling Therie was in heat pretty recently. Sleeping with a human sounds like something you'd come up with while you're horny.
Warrl wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:05 pm And I get the impression that Dahlia approves of (or at least doesn't strongly object to) her daughter's actions.
Well yeah. She's fondly reminiscing on her youth as she's seeing her daughter's antics, which implies she may have done something similar herself. Not quite sure if it went to the extent of sleeping with a human but it sounds like she got around a bit as many Keidrans tend to do. The only thing she might have an objection to is doing so with a human if she had those kinds of prejudices, but it doesn't sound like she does (she probably wouldn't be the one negotiating on behalf of the Tiger Tribes if she did).
Indeed. But she knows that her daughter's antics don't help diplomacy.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#19 Post by Bellhead »

Hulk10 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:28 pm
Does she though? I know it was a thing for quite a while that... *ahem* consorts, may be sent to foreign diplomats to help.. improve relations. *gently steps off very fine line* That said, Dahlia seems like the type to believe in physical diplomacy between peoples. I'm sure that, to her, this is practically advised under some circumstances. "Become friends with them", as it were.

Related:
Bill Engvall wrote:I believe that the way to a man's heart is not through his stomach. It's a little further south.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.

#20 Post by Hulk10 »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:10 am
Hulk10 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:28 pm
Does she though? I know it was a thing for quite a while that... *ahem* consorts, may be sent to foreign diplomats to help.. improve relations. *gently steps off very fine line* That said, Dahlia seems like the type to believe in physical diplomacy between peoples. I'm sure that, to her, this is practically advised under some circumstances. "Become friends with them", as it were.

Related:
Bill Engvall wrote:I believe that the way to a man's heart is not through his stomach. It's a little further south.
True but she also clearly wasn't entirely amused by her daughters actions.

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#21 Post by Bellhead »

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:21 am True but she also clearly wasn't entirely amused by her daughters actions.
To be fair, I'm sure Therie was told, for this specific visit, to behave in a manner suited for human interaction.. But I'd also cite Dahlia's reaction in panel 3. That's a smug proud grin if ever I did see one. I'll also cite her words in panel 4; she seems more irritated at the way things have been progressing with their human counterparts during these negotiations. With that in mind, her reaction in that last panel would be influenced by her thoughts mere moments ago.

Also, "doing well at diplomacy", rather than "getting acquainted/friendly", or "getting around", or "enjoying [ones]self". For a mother, and a matriarch at that, it's an odd phrase to think about behavior you disagree with. I'd say her disagreement is moreso with the fact that her daughter sleeping with a guard is getting more done than she is. Which, quite frankly, would annoy anyone in her position... :roll:
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#22 Post by jacobc62 »

I took Dahlia's thought about Therie's antics as being semi-sarcastic. Basically, the same tone as what Kei's thought about Daniels' half of it is.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Warrl
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Warrl »

Remember, the tigers were going to marry Flora off to a wolf as a diplomatic measure...

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster

#24 Post by Hulk10 »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:03 am
Hulk10 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:21 am True but she also clearly wasn't entirely amused by her daughters actions.
To be fair, I'm sure Therie was told, for this specific visit, to behave in a manner suited for human interaction.. But I'd also cite Dahlia's reaction in panel 3. That's a smug proud grin if ever I did see one. I'll also cite her words in panel 4; she seems more irritated at the way things have been progressing with their human counterparts during these negotiations. With that in mind, her reaction in that last panel would be influenced by her thoughts mere moments ago.

Also, "doing well at diplomacy", rather than "getting acquainted/friendly", or "getting around", or "enjoying [ones]self". For a mother, and a matriarch at that, it's an odd phrase to think about behavior you disagree with. I'd say her disagreement is moreso with the fact that her daughter sleeping with a guard is getting more done than she is. Which, quite frankly, would annoy anyone in her position... :roll:
Yeah you are probably right.

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#25 Post by Cinnibar »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:02 pm Also, first official communication from Therie, and we find out she's a friggin' princess, who may or may not be carrying the child of a lowly human town guard.
I'm sorry, I think you mean Ambassador Daniels. :D

He did seize, um, the initiative in relations

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#26 Post by Tornir »

Cinnibar wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:16 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:02 pm Also, first official communication from Therie, and we find out she's a friggin' princess, who may or may not be carrying the child of a lowly human town guard.

I wonder if the Matriarch can officiate at weddings?
If the sketches can be taken as canon, then they will be getting hitched.
Also, Trace and Flora still want to get married, and I'm sure she'd see the future Duke/Duchess of Edinmere being half-tiger as a massive political and diplomatic coup.

trantor
Apprentice

#27 Post by trantor »

Tornir wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:16 am
Cinnibar wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:16 am

I wonder if the Matriarch can officiate at weddings?
This is not said - we have also a lot of not canon sketches.
As far as I see this: -> They barely know each other. It was also action out of curiosity - see https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/900/
So it could be that this lead to further actions, but it is not a must.
If this should really go further it will still take some time - and this mean in this comic 1-2 years minimum (time between page 900 and now is how long?)

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#28 Post by AmigaDragon »

trantor wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:02 amAs far as I see this: -> They barely know each other. It was also action out of curiosity - see https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/900/
So it could be that this lead to further actions, but it is not a must.
If this should really go further it will still take some time - and this mean in this comic 1-2 years minimum (time between page 900 and now is how long?)
No more than a day or two, we've only seen one sleep cycle at the estate.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Eclipse
Templar Master

#29 Post by Eclipse »

Tornir wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:16 am I wonder if the Matriarch can officiate at weddings?
They probably will eventually, but I doubt they will soon unless Therie is discovered to be pregnant with Daniels' child (and even then, they might wait until after the baby is born to confirm that Daniels is really the father). Again, Keidran fool around with multiple partners all of the time and use sex to get to know with their partners. So just having sex with Daniels once isn't going to be enough for Dahlia to want them to get married. She probably won't insist on it until there's a baby in the picture, otherwise she'll just let it happen on its own time.
Tornir wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:16 am Also, Trace and Flora still want to get married, and I'm sure she'd see the future Duke/Duchess of Edinmere being half-tiger as a massive political and diplomatic coup.
You know, I hadn't considered the connection between this diplomatic negotiation and Trace and Flora's marriage. But Kei and Dahlia could perhaps use this to their advantage if they find out about it before it happens. It would only be a political and diplomatic coup if it happens under their noses. But if they know about it and give it their blessing, it might actually help the situation. Marriages can help alliances, if they make the ceremony part of the affairs and smooth out the political implications, I doubt they'll be mad at all. Especially not Dahlia, as it'd make Edinmire MUCH more tiger-friendly if its Duchess and future heir are tigers themselves.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#30 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Love how Therie is confused on why Daniels is wearing 2 sets of pants.

To be fair i doubt they are expecting... yet even in the side sketches they seemed to... liaison for a while, Daniels even presented her to his parents, before they realized they were pregnant and/or made it formal. Imagine it is still a couple months away from next Therie cycle... after that? Well i do expect them to see those two in lynknoll as a cameo in the far future
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide