Moderator: Moderators

rwstyles
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: mrs nibbley

Re: Comic for May 9, 2022: Saria in Maren

#16 Post by rwstyles »

Eclipse wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:05 pm
text deleted for clarity

Also I do wonder how long Saria is going to hang around. Is it just a few pages to say her goodbyes or is she going to be inhabiting Maren's body while they're fighting Clovis and Brahn?
She'll need to hang around until they are certain detritus is gone.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#17 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Lets see if that DIY alexa stays down for good. To be fair Tom said his only directive was to bring saria back, now that she is. Kinda. He had not reason to exist and terminated. Kinda sad character, in a way another of Traces victims.

I do see Saria leaving Maren body and taking her good friend with her into their afterlife, those two deserve it. Saria has been brought back twice and Rose has not been allowed to die. Do wonder who, if any, will train Rain. Or if this will be a point of contention later on?

Raine may blame Trace for killing or removing all her family, she is right. Maren may be angry he seduced her only to steal her body. Red may hate him now because she tried to kill his childhood friend/cousin. Sythe already had reasons to hate him being a genocidal maniac and all that. I do look foward to see that conflict after the Manor arc ends.

I am a bit sad OG dark genocidal maniac Trace did not come out and play. And we also did not get an 'et tu brutus' moment either. But hey liking it so far!
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Kyrit
Templar

#18 Post by Kyrit »

jacobc62 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:35 am
Bellhead wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:26 pm I wonder if that was Old Trace coming back partially, defending Saria, or if that was just Trace snapping at Sythe for yelling at somebody who's gone through so much.
'lil bit of column A, 'lil bit of column B?

To be fair to Sythe though, he does have a point. This whole ordeal was started due to Trace's possessive obsession with Saria and not being able to let go after her death.
I'd say a little heavier on the column A. If you zoom in on the panel where Trace is yelling he's got red tinted pupils, which is more of an Old Trace kind of thing. Even when he was first calling out Detritus for the insanity of the ritual he still kept his normal black pupils. The text from the sketch is also a bit different, with it originally having him say to leave Saria alone. That definitely comes off more as old Trace coming in a bit to me.

More interesting to me is a difference in Nib's location on the sketch.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#19 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Kyrit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:31 am If you zoom in on the panel where Trace is yelling he's got red tinted pupils, which is more of an Old Trace kind of thing.
I think that was just a minor coloring error. In my opinion, Trace was just trying to get Sythe to calm down and listen to Saria's side of the story.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#20 Post by Bellhead »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:03 pm
Kyrit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:31 am If you zoom in on the panel where Trace is yelling he's got red tinted pupils, which is more of an Old Trace kind of thing.
I think that was just a minor coloring error. In my opinion, Trace was just trying to get Sythe to calm down and listen to Saria's side of the story.
To be fair, we also saw Trace's red pupils back when Eric mentions Flora's lifespan, back on the ship. But at that point, it was less Evil Trace, and more.. Determined Frustrated Trace. Times like those, I see it more as the attitude of Evil Trace, but with the mindset of New Trace.

It's been my point of view for a while, that New Trace is his own person, but has been influenced many times by the memories of his past self. Such memories would cloud his judgement, by reminding him that he's obscenely overpowered, and is basically unstoppable, and that mindset gives him a VERY short temper when he's told that something can't be done, especially when dealing with those he cares about. *cue reference: every time he lost control thus far*

In this situation, though... It's complicated. Old Trace cared about Saria WAY too much, and by extension, Maren's body. New Trace even met Saria, and surely feels a certain way toward her as well. Seeing Sythe, a wolf (hated by Old Trace to an unrealistic degree) yelling at Maren (Saria), would make either one of them mad. Old Trace moreso, for obvious reasons, but if both their minds have the same thoughts, even just by a little, then that thought takes over, regardless of who's in control.

Sorry for the rant. Am slightly tired.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#21 Post by Hulk10 »

Bellhead wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:57 pm
To be fair, we also saw Trace's red pupils back when Eric mentions Flora's lifespan, back on the ship. But at that point, it was less Evil Trace, and more.. Determined Frustrated Trace. Times like those, I see it more as the attitude of Evil Trace, but with the mindset of New Trace.

It's been my point of view for a while, that New Trace is his own person, but has been influenced many times by the memories of his past self. Such memories would cloud his judgement, by reminding him that he's obscenely overpowered, and is basically unstoppable, and that mindset gives him a VERY short temper when he's told that something can't be done, especially when dealing with those he cares about. *cue reference: every time he lost control thus far*

In this situation, though... It's complicated. Old Trace cared about Saria WAY too much, and by extension, Maren's body. New Trace even met Saria, and surely feels a certain way toward her as well. Seeing Sythe, a wolf (hated by Old Trace to an unrealistic degree) yelling at Maren (Saria), would make either one of them mad. Old Trace moreso, for obvious reasons, but if both their minds have the same thoughts, even just by a little, then that thought takes over, regardless of who's in control.

I think you might be right.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#22 Post by Eclipse »

rwstyles wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:48 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:05 pm Also I do wonder how long Saria is going to hang around. Is it just a few pages to say her goodbyes or is she going to be inhabiting Maren's body while they're fighting Clovis and Brahn?
She'll need to hang around until they are certain detritus is gone.
Yes, but is she capable of leaving whenever she wants or does she have to wait a certain amount of time before she can leave? Certainly what she would want to do is make sure Detritus is gone, say her goodbyes, transfer to Rose's body, and for the two of them to leave this world together, but does she have control over that? I would guess it's not that simple. I have a feeling Saria is going to hang around a bit longer than she would like, perhaps during the conflict with Clovis and Brahn and then departs when the other characters are ready to leave the Estate.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:57 pm

I mentioned many times before i expected Trace to regress back into his own self maybe not permanently but yes for an epic Manor battle. Sadly i do not think it will be the case anymore. We had discount DIY alexa be the mini boss and then Clovis transformend/mentally linked with Reni and that seems to be the big bad of this chapter. Not Old trace. Again i had hoped him to pop up, beat everyone a bit and then, maybe with the help of Sarien/Marian, be repressed once again but i simply do not thing that is how the chapter will go anymore.

For now i expect Saria to say her goodbyes and finally move on with Rose to the afterlife. Only for the party to have to now focus on Clovis and Reni.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#24 Post by Insomniac »

Bellhead wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:26 pm I wonder if that was Old Trace coming back partially, defending Saria, or if that was just Trace snapping at Sythe for yelling at somebody who's gone through so much.

To be fair to Sythe though, he does have a point. This whole ordeal was started due to Trace's possessive obsession with Saria and not being able to let go after her death.

.... Internet Cookie to the person to can name me a character from a leading film franchise that shares that character flaw.
Do animated serieseseses count? If so, Doctor Strange in What If, full stop.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#25 Post by jacobc62 »

Insomniac wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:35 pm

.... Internet Cookie to the person to can name me a character from a leading film franchise that shares that character flaw.
Well considering I specified film franchise, then no. Besides, Strange in the film(s) was not possessive of Christine.

The correct answer was Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars. No one gets internet cookies. Not even me.

To swing this back to Twokinds to stay somewhat on topic....:

Trace prior to his memory wipe (and kinda currently in the story) has a very similar story to Anakin's. Here's the full list of comparisons I've drawn between the two:
  • Both Trace and Anakin were brought into an order of mages (Templar/Jedi) at a young age.
  • Both became obsessed (to the point of it being possessive) with their respective love interest (Saria/Padme).
  • Both were insanely powerful in their respective forms of magic, and quickly rose the ranks of their respective orders.
  • Both eventually married their respective love interest after initially getting their advances rejected.
  • Both wives were fatally injured when they were pregnant (Saria's was physical (poisoned arrow), Padme's was mental (lost will to live)).
  • Both Trace and Anakin turned to darkness due to their wives' deaths (Trace went mad due to dark mana, Anakin joined the Sith, albeit it was due to visions of Padme dying prior to her actual death)
  • Both tried to cheat/overcome death to save their wives (Trace by reviving Saria using Maren's body, Anakin by using the Force to keep Padme from dying)
  • Both led a coup against leadership/members of their respective mage orders to eventually have the power to enact their plans to cheat/overcome death (Trace's rise as Grand Templar, Anakin's (and the 501st's) March on the Jedi Temple)
  • Both failed in their bid to save their loved ones, and would be at the head of an oppressive, tyrannical faction (Trace as Grand Templar, Anakin as Darth Vader)
  • While both were leaders of their tyrannical faction, they set up a small group of fellow mages to assist with various tasks or missions (The Master Templars/The Inquisitors)
  • Both would have a chance at redemption later in their lives (Trace currently with Flora, Anakin when he saved Luke and killed Palpatine)
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#26 Post by IHeartMaeve »

jacobc62 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:39 am
Insomniac wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Well considering I specified film franchise, then no. Besides, Strange in the film(s) was not possessive of Christine.

The correct answer was Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars. No one gets internet cookies. Not even me.

To swing this back to Twokinds to stay somewhat on topic....:

Trace prior to his memory wipe (and kinda currently in the story) has a very similar story to Anakin's. Here's the full list of comparisons I've drawn between the two:
  • Both Trace and Anakin were brought into an order of mages (Templar/Jedi) at a young age.
  • Both became obsessed (to the point of it being possessive) with their respective love interest (Saria/Padme).
  • Both were insanely powerful in their respective forms of magic, and quickly rose the ranks of their respective orders.
  • Both eventually married their respective love interest after initially getting their advances rejected.
  • Both wives were fatally injured when they were pregnant (Saria's was physical (poisoned arrow), Padme's was mental (lost will to live)).
  • Both Trace and Anakin turned to darkness due to their wives' deaths (Trace went mad due to dark mana, Anakin joined the Sith, albeit it was due to visions of Padme dying prior to her actual death)
  • Both tried to cheat/overcome death to save their wives (Trace by reviving Saria using Maren's body, Anakin by using the Force to keep Padme from dying)
  • Both led a coup against leadership/members of their respective mage orders to eventually have the power to enact their plans to cheat/overcome death (Trace's rise as Grand Templar, Anakin's (and the 501st's) March on the Jedi Temple)
  • Both failed in their bid to save their loved ones, and would be at the head of an oppressive, tyrannical faction (Trace as Grand Templar, Anakin as Darth Vader)
  • While both were leaders of their tyrannical faction, they set up a small group of fellow mages to assist with various tasks or missions (The Master Templars/The Inquisitors)
  • Both would have a chance at redemption later in their lives (Trace currently with Flora, Anakin when he saved Luke and killed Palpatine)
Well, dingus. I'm a Star Wars fan and I never noticed all these similarities. Evidently, if this was on purpose, Tom does a really good job concealing this kind of stuff.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#27 Post by Technic[Bot] »

We had discussed the Anaking/TRace similarities a couple years before but... seems the go deeper than i expected
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide