Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#15436 Post by Bellhead »

Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying anything less. But human brains, despite being only 60 watts-- ish, can still compute and calculate at frightening speeds when used to even just a part of their full potential.

What I meant more, was their efficiency, and the effectiveness of that much power when used properly. I mean, think about how many iterations the human brain went through to get where it is. Though, to be fair, mental processing power doesn't typically lose energy to heat, soo.... yeah.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15437 Post by Neutral Smith »

Brain.exe is shutting down for the night.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15438 Post by Bellhead »

Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15439 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I have figured out how to update my brain kernel without having to sleep! So i need not to sleep anymore!

Ok bad jokes aside sometimes I do wonder what I could do with extra 12 waking hours a day?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

The Blue Fox
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Laura

#15440 Post by The Blue Fox »

Neutral Smith wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:38 pm Brain.exe is shutting down for the night.
Brain.exe file not found.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15441 Post by Bellhead »

If I had 12 more waking hours in a day, I would be SOOO BORED... I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster

#15442 Post by Neutral Smith »

Next weeks are going to be work offshore.

12 hours on, 12 hours off, normally it will be for 2 weeks without a day off.

But thanks to a certain pandemic my first 5 days will be being locked up in a hotel room for quarantine.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15443 Post by Bellhead »

In other news... there are other things that happened.

Also, this weekend in new England: Warning, language: The Forecast!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15444 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So applied to another job.

This is a position for someone who has 2 years or more of experience. First of all they asked me to fill a written interview, that is new, as they are to lazy to actually set up a web conference. Even more weird the test had a lot of questions about how i fared in high school. Just.... why?
I graduated high school over a decade ago i fail to see how my performance back then would have any bearing on this job. Moreover I was a teeneager back then I did my homework and played videogames which is what most people that age do! No i did not hold any position of leadership back then because it was [censored] high school, not a job at UN!

Sorry needed to get that out of my system....
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

The Blue Fox
Traveler

#15445 Post by The Blue Fox »

Oh, don't even get me STARTED on the absolute horse manure that is jobsearching.

I find employers tend not to even give you the time of day if you have little to no paid work experience like I ended up having, even with supposed entry-level jobs.
I guess they want to see that another employer gave you a shot and you didn't dissapoint.
But you see then we get into a catch-22 situation;
You need experience to get a job.
You need a job to get experience.

Oh and I've seen people on the internet complaining about employers demanding you have ridiculous levels of experience.
Like 7 years experience in computer software that's only existed for like 2 or 3 years.
Like one time I saw even a dev for some software come across this, saying they made that particular software relatively recently compared to the mountains of experience a position that uses their program was asking for.

I think that image sums it up pretty accurately.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15446 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I find jobsearching to be emotionally draining. Nothing too see good jobs that you would love to do only to realize they require like 7 years of experience on something very especific, moreso when you realize the more time you spend not in that job the harder it will be to get that kind of job.

Oh yes FastApi tweet: It is a classic at this point

To be fair i was recently asked to interview some people for my work, as we are hiring, these are entry level positions straight out of college and also interships. Do not ask me how but a not insignificant amount of candidates had 0.5 to 1 year of experience on the area before they even left college. So yeah there is indeed people with a lot of experience straight out of school
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

The Blue Fox
Traveler

#15447 Post by The Blue Fox »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:43 am I find jobsearching to be emotionally draining. Nothing too see good jobs that you would love to do only to realize they require like 7 years of experience on something very especific, moreso when you realize the more time you spend not in that job the harder it will be to get that kind of job.

Oh yes FastApi tweet: It is a classic at this point
Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean about jobsearching being emotionally draining. It's a real slog.

And yes, I believe I've seen that tweet before.
Perfect example of exactly what I said, more years of experience than the actual program has been around, and even with the dev of the program calling it out!
Do...do employers not know stuff like how long a program has existed or something?

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster

#15448 Post by Neutral Smith »

They know. It's easy to pick out the liars who say they have that knowledge (while they don't even have any knowledge)

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15449 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Usually HR has not a clue of what the work they are hiring for actually entails. So they just get a broad list of requirements from the requiring team (Experience, college hire etc) do some translation and post it.

Also sometimes not even the requesting department does: Excerpt from my pal real interview:

Tec's Pal: Oh so you use Go, you create that language didn't you?
Hiring Manager: Not really sure, but i believe i should know that 😅
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15450 Post by Bellhead »

For context, New England just got hit with a friggin' BLIZZARD. Upwards of 20" in under 24 hours, high winds, white-out conditions. I'm half the plow crew, which means I get to go to work before the plows are even out, so I can plow until the snow stops. And, since it was light and fluffy, every gust of wind sent drifts all over the place.

Me: *wrapping up an 18 hour plowing shift*
My boss: "Any chance you could come in on your day off tomorrow and salt the lot?"
Me: