Comic for December 25, 2021: Forgiveness

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for December 25, 2021: Forgiveness

#16 Post by Rafe »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:32 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:50 pm Well, it's about time. Finally Rose has gotten the hug I've wanted someone, anyone to give her since 2013, heh. It doesn't make up for everything she's gone through, of course, but it's still cathartic to see. And damn, not touched another person in five or six years? That's harsh. Keidran seem to be at *least* as tactile of a species as humans, if not more so, and that'd already be torture for one of us. We aren't meant to be alone like that! Even before her... integration... to be stuck almost completely alone in a echoing, empty mansion with only a madman for dubious company, never feeling the touch of another being, for a period that would be a good quarter of an average lifetime for a keidran... it's a wonder she's even *remotely* sane anymore. But now maybe she can finally have peace. And I love the symbolism in the last panel. This whole time in this backgrounds for the atrium there's been rose petals all over the place and indistinct red splotches on the plants that might be more petals or rose buds, but I believe this panel is the first time Tom has drawn actual rose *flowers* in the background.

Rose's actual physical body is old - you can see in comic 1115 that her hair is faded and streaked with white, for example. What we've been seeing now and for the last few comics is still the projection, as evidenced by the 'glitch' and fading effects that Tom has been drawing on her in the past few comics, the same ones he used for the Maren illusion previously.

That said, I think from everything we've seen of Rose and how she's interacted with the others since we've arrived at the mansion that her projection might as *well* be her, at least from her point of view, she can obviously hear/see/feel/etc through it as if it actually were her real body. So I think the distinction is relatively academic at this point.
I am very touch averse so I cant comment much. But yeah Rose has had it hard. Not that any of the cast has had a particularly nice life, even sans necromancy experiments living with Trace could not have been nice, specially the darker he got. We got the 20ish year old widows who went mad with grief, the girl who grew up sequestered because her mom either wanted to protect her or was ashamed of her, the young exile who is also almost a widow at 18 and the child soldiers one who is likely a cripple for now.

I think she is not dead yet more like on life support her body wont stay functioning if unplugged from the manor. Hopefully she will be able to rest and see her girlfriend again in the near future.
It's obvious that something is going on with the changes in Rose's (or her projection's) appearance suddenly becoming youthful, and as MuonNeutrino pointed out, the roses blooming instead of shedding their petals. Something is causing some kind of powerful, youthful energy to affect Rose, whatever her nature is. So far, she hasn't even seemed to notice it. It all seemed to start when Saria was mentioned.

Talking about the painful lives we see in the characters here, there is one which I would consider to be the worst to endure, that of Euchre. I'm sure if there was any way to save Rose from being hanged, he would have done it - probably to the point of sacrificing his own life. As it was, anything he would have done would have probably ended up with both of them dead. Rose was saved, of course, but Euchre loses his lover Mary Silverlock, and Rose, both of whom despise him for betraying them. Plus, his position and future are gone, and he has no contact with his daughter. Everyone who was close to him ended up hating him. The fact that he never asked for forgiveness probably means that he thinks what he did was so awful that he cannot even forgiven himself. I could see Euchre trying to help Rose with her pain, perhaps in some final bit of self-sacrifice. But he would probably never want anyone else to know he was responsible. "Forgiveness" might be the title of this page, but it's something Euchre may never see.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#17 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Since nobody else is bringing it up, has anyone else noticed that this was apparently replacing the "Christmas filler" tradition at least for now? I just find it a nice spin on things.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#18 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Rafe wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:41 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:32 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:50 pm Well, it's about time. Finally Rose has gotten the hug I've wanted someone, anyone to give her since 2013, heh. It doesn't make up for everything she's gone through, of course, but it's still cathartic to see. And damn, not touched another person in five or six years? That's harsh. Keidran seem to be at *least* as tactile of a species as humans, if not more so, and that'd already be torture for one of us. We aren't meant to be alone like that! Even before her... integration... to be stuck almost completely alone in a echoing, empty mansion with only a madman for dubious company, never feeling the touch of another being, for a period that would be a good quarter of an average lifetime for a keidran... it's a wonder she's even *remotely* sane anymore. But now maybe she can finally have peace. And I love the symbolism in the last panel. This whole time in this backgrounds for the atrium there's been rose petals all over the place and indistinct red splotches on the plants that might be more petals or rose buds, but I believe this panel is the first time Tom has drawn actual rose *flowers* in the background.

Rose's actual physical body is old - you can see in comic 1115 that her hair is faded and streaked with white, for example. What we've been seeing now and for the last few comics is still the projection, as evidenced by the 'glitch' and fading effects that Tom has been drawing on her in the past few comics, the same ones he used for the Maren illusion previously.

That said, I think from everything we've seen of Rose and how she's interacted with the others since we've arrived at the mansion that her projection might as *well* be her, at least from her point of view, she can obviously hear/see/feel/etc through it as if it actually were her real body. So I think the distinction is relatively academic at this point.
I am very touch averse so I cant comment much. But yeah Rose has had it hard. Not that any of the cast has had a particularly nice life, even sans necromancy experiments living with Trace could not have been nice, specially the darker he got. We got the 20ish year old widows who went mad with grief, the girl who grew up sequestered because her mom either wanted to protect her or was ashamed of her, the young exile who is also almost a widow at 18 and the child soldiers one who is likely a cripple for now.

I think she is not dead yet more like on life support her body wont stay functioning if unplugged from the manor. Hopefully she will be able to rest and see her girlfriend again in the near future.
It's obvious that something is going on with the changes in Rose's (or her projection's) appearance suddenly becoming youthful, and as MuonNeutrino pointed out, the roses blooming instead of shedding their petals. Something is causing some kind of powerful, youthful energy to affect Rose, whatever her nature is. So far, she hasn't even seemed to notice it. It all seemed to start when Saria was mentioned.

Talking about the painful lives we see in the characters here, there is one which I would consider to be the worst to endure, that of Euchre. I'm sure if there was any way to save Rose from being hanged, he would have done it - probably to the point of sacrificing his own life. As it was, anything he would have done would have probably ended up with both of them dead. Rose was saved, of course, but Euchre loses his lover Mary Silverlock, and Rose, both of whom despise him for betraying them. Plus, his position and future are gone, and he has no contact with his daughter. Everyone who was close to him ended up hating him. The fact that he never asked for forgiveness probably means that he thinks what he did was so awful that he cannot even forgiven himself. I could see Euchre trying to help Rose with her pain, perhaps in some final bit of self-sacrifice. But he would probably never want anyone else to know he was responsible. "Forgiveness" might be the title of this page, but it's something Euchre may never see.
To be fair both Euchre and Trace are the only characters who kinda managed to [censored] it up on their own terms. The rest got [censored] up by something beyond their control. But I agree. I always saw Euchre as someone who flew to close to the sun and burned himself. He was put into an very horrible situation and then proceeded to blunder it properly. I agree with you there where no clean solutions out of that, Sirius was up to Euchre throat and everything was stacked against him. But i also think any other course of action would have been better.

Now i think Euchre only wants to help but he feels to guilty, or to prideful, to just go and help the party, thus setting up all these proxy situations where he can help from afar. Of course my reading may be wrong and he is still intent on conquering the world or something.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Warrl »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:39 amTo be fair both Euchre and Trace are the only characters who kinda managed to [censored] it up on their own terms. The rest got [censored] up by something beyond their control.
"Time is a total slut...she screws everybody." - April Abbott
But I agree. I always saw Euchre as someone who flew to close to the sun and burned himself. He was put into an very horrible situation and then proceeded to blunder it properly. I agree with you there where no clean solutions out of that
I disagree. He could have invented keidrans as slaves or employed servants of either his family or a neighboring family (if his story is suitable, perhaps fellow-servants alongside his parents), thus justifying him being able to speak the language, and then said that Rose had come to inform him that his mother was dying.

The hazard there would be that if he left to go visit his mother, Mary Silverlock - his lover at the time - might have wanted to go with him. It could have been tough to find an excuse why she shouldn't. I think they didn't yet know she was pregnant.

Rafe
Council Member

#20 Post by Rafe »

Warrl wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:53 pm ...I disagree. He could have invented keidrans as slaves or employed servants of either his family or a neighboring family (if his story is suitable, perhaps fellow-servants alongside his parents), thus justifying him being able to speak the language, and then said that Rose had come to inform him that his mother was dying...
There's a couple of problems with that. First, every Keidran slave we've seen can speak Human. Rose couldn't. Biggest problem was that she was caught using magic to disguise herself. A Keidran using magic is bad enough, but magically disguising herself as a human in that war-time period pretty much guaranteed that she was a spy or saboteur and was going to die. I do agree with your basic reasoning, though. There might have been some kind of explaination that Euchre could have come up with. I assume he just couldn't come up with one in time that would get past Sirus.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#21 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Rafe wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:01 pm
Warrl wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:53 pm ...I disagree. He could have invented keidrans as slaves or employed servants of either his family or a neighboring family (if his story is suitable, perhaps fellow-servants alongside his parents), thus justifying him being able to speak the language, and then said that Rose had come to inform him that his mother was dying...
There's a couple of problems with that. First, every Keidran slave we've seen can speak Human. Rose couldn't. Biggest problem was that she was caught using magic to disguise herself. A Keidran using magic is bad enough, but magically disguising herself as a human in that war-time period pretty much guaranteed that she was a spy or saboteur and was going to die. I do agree with your basic reasoning, though. There might have been some kind of explaination that Euchre could have come up with. I assume he just couldn't come up with one in time that would get past Sirus.
I do not think there was an active war at that time. But yeah a Disguised Keidran sneaking into Templar grounds was a big red flag regardless. However if it had not been for Sirius I think she would have been executed without further alerting Euchre or anyone else. Sirius wanted to get him.

I do agree that Euchre could have come up with something better of course but i do believe at that moment he was cornered and there was no neat way to solve the issue. He could have sacrificed his position and lie to get away with Rose and never come back, but he choose not to. He would have been persecuted after that in any case
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide