The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for December 10th, 2021

#16 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:13 am
Bellhead wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:10 am Oh, probably, but 'round here, "two" is a handful. We don't really have the massive amount of traffic we once did.. :|

Back on topic, Does Flora look right to you guys? Might just be my monitor, but she looks a little less orange to me.
Nah, if anything the room they are on has some weird lighting which may affect her color.
I thought of that, but... I dunno. Something just looked.. off.

Eh. Probably just me.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Elemental Templar
Merchant

Re: Comic for December 10th, 2021: Letting Go

#17 Post by Elemental Templar »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:50 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:15 pm So it was the real Rose, she just wasn't her normal self. And that, I think, is a pretty good way for this to play out.

I remember we speculated quite a bit on the last few pages about Trace's evil side coming out to play, but I for one am glad he didn't. Things would get messy. But I'm also glad that Flora, knowing who -and what- Trace used to be, tried to step in to be there for him. Rose really didn't have a choice, or another course of action, with Flora involved; she had no choice but to test Trace. Even if it wasn't who she really was, she had to know for sure. Well played. Very well played.

And I'm not sure if Rose here was intentionally appearing staticy at the beginning, but if she was, it was a nice touch. She was a pretty clear demonstration of what he did, and threw it in his face. I don't think I could have done better.
Speak for yourself i had high hopes for Evil Trace to come and play and have 2 parallel battles. Clovis vs team b and half team a and Dark Trace vs everyone else.

Well you can't get everything you want in life. Besides i like this one very much, really like how Tom does emotions, it "gets" to you. It is not simply: Rose sad, be sad please. You can see the anguish on her face and kinda o feel it yourself. Or maybe i am simply weird...

Besides now we can focus on the fox/wolf think playing inside the dragons head and maybe advance the plot a bit faster
As interesting as it would've been to a conflict between Trace's Evil Side and Rose and/or Detritus; I think this was much better from a narrative standpoint: We not only get further cementation of Traces newfound resolve; we also finally get a genuine glimpse as to how Saria's death affected Rose, which makes this all the more heart-wrenching. I can't imagine the feeling of being effectively caught a state between life and death, forced to continue on with those feelings of grief and sadness, unable to gain any form of closure; and (ironically) worst of all never being able reunited. What Technic said about how well Tom handles emotional moments is definitely apparent here, in a few simple panels Rose go from a cold, heartbroken, calculating automaton; to a vulnerable & regretful person who just wanted to see the one person in the world who cared about her.

Moreover, I can't believe that no-one is talking about how Amazing Flora's character has been in this chapter. I briefly mentioned this in the discussion thread for page 1106; but I absolutely love that Flora knows Trace to the point she can keep him calm in his darkest moments. And hear we not only see it again, but we also see that she's incredibly emotionally mature and content with the fact that Trace will outlive her.

I'm reminded of something my late Grandmother told me when her husband of 40 years(my Grandpa) passed away:

Our time on this earth may be brief, but so too is the pain we feel for those we've lost. For it is the love we've shared together, and the love we continue to share with those we hold dear, that will last forever.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

Moonsong
Fav. Twokinds Character: Trace

#18 Post by Moonsong »

Can someone please provide me with a link to the page where Trace met Sarias ghost?

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#19 Post by Tornir »

Moonsong wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:07 am Can someone please provide me with a link to the page where Trace met Sarias ghost?
It starts here, and covers the next few pages.

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#20 Post by Rasol »

So, Rose WAS complicit in this. And not just being forced.
Spoiler!
Called it.
And honestly? I feel for her. She lost Saria too. The ONE person she truly loved. The one person who truly cared, even after her OWN FAMILY abandoned her.
I have absolutely zero doubt Saria's passing was every bit as traumatic for Rose, as it was for Trace. Possibly even more so.
And here, on the precipice. With the power to see her again. One more time. I cant even say I blame her for wanting it, even if not 100%.
Trace got his closure. He got to see her again. Rose did not.

I don't think this was a test. I think she wanted it. At least partially. But she doesn't have the resolve, or the lack of morals, much less the power & skill to do it on her own.
Leaving it up to Trace meant she could absolve herself. At least in her own mind.

And for what its worth? Trace made the right call.
He can NEVER undo what he's already done, but he can choose to stop making it worse.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#21 Post by Bellhead »

To those saying this page shows that Rose was complicit in everything, I disagree.

Peer pressure is very common in getting people to do the things they don't want to do, have never done before, etc. But it can also be used to convince someone to make a decision they're on the fence on, or leaning away from. Rose just heard that Saria, what we assume was the real Saria, met up with Trace, and said her final goodbyes with words conveying that she wanted him to move on. Any friend of hers in that situation would want to be there, regardless of whether or not they were involved.

Trace's plans held Rose on a short leash. I highly doubt she was complicit in his activities, but she was definitely close enough to know his pain and suffering. She was more than close enough to be able to tilt him back down the wrong path, if he wavered and she did so choose. What we see here is indeed her trying to do that; she's deliberately trying to send him down a dark path. Evil Trace would have shown his true colors, or reacted violently, or threatened her, or some other less-than-pleasant outcome. New Trace, however, reacted with sorrow and regret, in the blatant face of his former self and what he not only had done, but would have continued to do without a second thought.

Let me ask you this.
If you knew a bully, a particularly violent one, who claimed to have changed, or claimed to have have amnesia... what-have-you, and you wanted to be sure they really did change, and had the power to stop them if they didn't, how would you do it? How would you find out for sure? How would you know? Without being hunted, darkness can remain hidden from light nearly indefinitely. The only way to be sure, would be to try to send them back to the darkness, back down that path, show how they followed it before, and see how they react.

Rose tried to send him back to the darkness, but he stayed in the light. We know from her earlier comments that she could "arrange [his] demise" should she choose to. It makes far more sense, to me anyway, that she was trying to send him down the dark path so, if and/or when he were to show his true colors, she would have him in a position/location where she could take him out and prevent further loss. But, seeing has he had shown her that he changed, she wanted to believe him. She had enough compassion not to just kill him, through whatever means she has now, but chose to test him instead.

Thoughts?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Moonsong
Fav. Twokinds Character: Trace

#22 Post by Moonsong »

Tornir wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:59 am
Moonsong wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:07 am Can someone please provide me with a link to the page where Trace met Sarias ghost?
It starts here, and covers the next few pages.
Thank you.
It's been so long that I read this that I completely forgot in the meantime. 12 years is quite a while.

Tom
The Artist

#23 Post by Tom »

Moonsong wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:09 am Thank you.
It's been so long that I read this that I completely forgot in the meantime. 12 years is quite a while.
Tell me about it! lol

Someday I'd like to do a short recap comic, just to help people out with all the major events, so it doesn't require 18 years worth of digging. :kathrin:

Ainoko Ironrose
Citizen

#24 Post by Ainoko Ironrose »

Tom wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:54 pm
Moonsong wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:09 am Thank you.
Tell me about it! lol

Someday I'd like to do a short recap comic, just to help people out with all the major events, so it doesn't require 18 years worth of digging. :kathrin:
Please do, we would love it and can wait
I found my thrill...
On Blueberry Hill...

It was there...
I made my first kill...

Joachim de Toul
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kathrin

Re: Comic for December 10th, 2021: Letting Go

#25 Post by Joachim de Toul »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:50 am Besides i like this one very much, really like how Tom does emotions, it "gets" to you. It is not simply: Rose sad, be sad please. You can see the anguish on her face and kinda o feel it yourself. Or maybe i am simply weird...
Yeah, I feel like that too, I really love Tom's ability to do it. Well, he made me cry again. (;_;) You're not weird, don't worry. Or we both are, maybe, but who cares ? I think it's well to be emotional.
As far as I'm concerned, I prefer this way than having Trace going berserk again. We don't need that, I think, and I wouldn't have loved that, poor Flora.
:kathrin: is love ; :kathrin: is life !

Warrl
Grand Templar

#26 Post by Warrl »

Rasol wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:13 pm So, Rose WAS complicit in this. And not just being forced.
For SOME definition of "complicit".

That definition could have been "staying alive, or at least around in some sense, until I have an opportunity to sabotage this horrible plan".

DragnMastralex
Apprentice

#27 Post by DragnMastralex »

Arcus_Acer wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:48 pm Comic for December 10, 2021: Letting Go

"Humans live such long lives"
Nora: "yeah.... no. compared to dragons humans are a blink"

Vakaaja
Fav. Twokinds Character: Reni

#28 Post by Vakaaja »

Warrl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:55 am
Rasol wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:13 pm So, Rose WAS complicit in this. And not just being forced.
For SOME definition of "complicit".

That definition could have been "staying alive, or at least around in some sense, until I have an opportunity to sabotage this horrible plan".
Or Rose was ready for some sacrifices in hopes that Saria's influence could stop Trace from doing even worse things.

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#29 Post by Turaiel »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Please take some time to review our rules, especially with respect to replying to very old threads. viewtopic.php?t=9841

Thread locked.
Website Administrator