Comic for November 30, 2021: Detritus to Detritus

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Comic for November 30, 2021: Detritus to Detritus

#16 Post by Eclipse »

Yeah I'm not convinced that Rose is acting herself either. She seemed pretty enthusiastic about Trace marrying Flora if only to see how the rest of Mekkan would react. And I don't think she'd want her dear friend and former owner to be turned into some dark magic Frankenstein experiment, especially not considering the cost they would have to pay to complete the ritual, which is probably also a cost that Saria probably wouldn't want to pay. I don't think Rose really wants anything to do with this mess, I think she's being controlled either by Old Trace's protocols or Detritus.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#17 Post by Tornir »

So...
Rose would have remained free had Trace not freed her from her restrictions.
Raising the dead kills the spells caster by draining their life.

Hypothesis: Starting the ritual by containing Maren also locked down and controlled Rose because Old Trace planned to use her as the life force donor, and he didn't want the sacrifice resisting.
(Saria would never forgive him, but Old Trace was insane, and likely hadn't considered that.)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#18 Post by Bellhead »

I wonder if he did consider Saria's reaction, though. He was twisted enough that he'd probably use the "You're alive, that's all that matters" excuse.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:16 pm I wonder if he did consider Saria's reaction, though. He was twisted enough that he'd probably use the "You're alive, that's all that matters" excuse.
All this ritual is not for Saria is for himself. Old Trace was a egotistical [censored] who never considered what others wanted. It was his loss not anyone else. He is not doing this to bring back Saria nor he is planning to kill all Keidran for justice. It is doing it for himself and mending his own wound.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Esn
New Citizen

#20 Post by Esn »

How likely is it that this isn't actually Rose but an illusion, like the fake Maren?

Given the white eyes, and the breaking up of the image around the edges..

Alanari
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#21 Post by Alanari »

Rose was Sarias employee (slave?). There is a possibility that they became friends.

https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/963/

This would be an interesting plot twist.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#22 Post by Bellhead »

Alanari wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:55 am Rose was Sarias employee (slave?). There is a possibility that they became friends.

https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/963/

This would be an interesting plot twist.
If you haven't read The Dragon Masquerade, I'd recommend it.
Spoiler! TDM
Saria and Rose rode to the ball together, and she asked Rose not to speak so formally when they were alone. Saria also lost her cool when discussing Trace and Nora for a moment, which wouldn't happen outside of a highly trusted friendship.
There's also several sketches on Tom's Patreon between the two of them from when Rose first started work, which may or may not suggest something.. slightly different. :wink: Feel free to hunt for them, though it might take a while.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Kyrit
Templar

#23 Post by Kyrit »

Esn wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:03 am How likely is it that this isn't actually Rose but an illusion, like the fake Maren?

The question isn't whether or not this Rose is an illusion; the Rose we've seen moving about the estate always is. In fact, you can see actual Rose's feet and the tip of her tail just above the illusion.

The question is; who is in charge of the illusion right now. So far what we've seen of Rose definitely implies that she would be happy to be able to just move on, but we don't know how much of that has been an act (after all, she already admitted the Stern Old Lady attitude is just an act). Back after Trace lifted the restrictions on her she did have a moment to herself where she comments "I'd almost forgotten. ". Forgotten what? That she is practically a zombie? That she agreed to this ritual to bring Saria back? That she was actively assisting in the ritual? We all want the illusion to be Detritus's doing, but there is the possibility that it is Rose and that while she was happy for Trace to move on before she remembered they could have Saria back she might be less inclined to let them just move on now. She could be testing Trace as others have mentioned, or she could just not want to let go either.

Elio
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora,remi

#24 Post by Elio »

Oh damn it now we either have to kill rose and since she tied to mansion, this is going to be rough for trace having release the care taker entity that trace sought to save from death and now be confronted by rose that loved saria and allowed evil trace to make rose a test subject...

If anyone needs me i'm going into pillow bunker and hunker down with biggest pillows and blankets it has and get ready for feels... :maeve:

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#25 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Kyrit wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Esn wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:03 am How likely is it that this isn't actually Rose but an illusion, like the fake Maren?

The question isn't whether or not this Rose is an illusion; the Rose we've seen moving about the estate always is. In fact, you can see actual Rose's feet and the tip of her tail just above the illusion.

The question is; who is in charge of the illusion right now. So far what we've seen of Rose definitely implies that she would be happy to be able to just move on, but we don't know how much of that has been an act (after all, she already admitted the Stern Old Lady attitude is just an act). Back after Trace lifted the restrictions on her she did have a moment to herself where she comments "I'd almost forgotten. ". Forgotten what? That she is practically a zombie? That she agreed to this ritual to bring Saria back? That she was actively assisting in the ritual? We all want the illusion to be Detritus's doing, but there is the possibility that it is Rose and that while she was happy for Trace to move on before she remembered they could have Saria back she might be less inclined to let them just move on now. She could be testing Trace as others have mentioned, or she could just not want to let go either.
You bring a fair point. Maybe Trace even blocked Rose some of her own memory. Which damn that is messed up. But at that point why not control her completely? She even commented on wanting to eliminate Trace, so it is not like she has not thought about it before and given how Trace was before why take the risk? Turning her into a mind controlled vegetable to assist in the manor operation would have been simpler.

I think there is a chance she is part of this. But i still feel Tom would need to bend the plot over backwards to accommodate that. Again so far Rose being a into this does not make much sense to me.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#26 Post by Thomas Rot »

It's not as relevant now that the new page is out, but I did think it was interesting that Rose carried on talking with her "normal" speech bubbles here. So far Tom's indication seems to be that the only time the "real" Rose talked was indicated in green text (how are Rose's physical vocal cords still functioning?), and ironically that the illusion-Rose of the past, oh, two hundred pages or so has the same speech bubbles that normal, alive characters do.

Given the way things seem to be progressing (and the fact that this illusion-Rose has pretty much the same blanked eyes, glitches, et cetera that the illusion-Maren did) Rose is undoubtedly far more in control of things: whatever is going on inside the crystal and whatever Trace's reaction to this turns out to be. Presumably Detritus too if it reforms, because I refuse to believe it went down that easily.