Comic for November 30, 2021: Detritus to Detritus

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Comic for November 30, 2021: Detritus to Detritus

#1 Post by Bellhead »

I sincerely hope Rose didn't fall into the same pit that Old Trace did...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Esn
New Citizen

Re: Comic for November 30, 2021: Detritus to Detritus

#2 Post by Esn »

Yikes.

I think it would be a good idea for Trace to tread really carefully here. Rose was supportive of the new Trace, but that was back when there seemed no chance that the "process" would actually have a chance to get started anytime soon. I imagine she's rather more conflicted now, and it strikes me as a singularly bad idea to have her as an enemy, even if she IS starting to break apart in that last panel.

I wonder if Trace realizes yet that he actually did speak to Saria in that illusion village. He's seen paintings of Saria since then. Does he realize the significance?

It might be a good idea to tell Rose about it, if so...

Also, I'm actually feeling kinda sorry for Detritus. It can't be much fun living your life as an Eldritch abomination (as he had all of Trace's memories, he would've remembered being human), and then to fail at your one goal in life and be reduced to a slag heap by the one person that you were sure you could trust...

Flora even called Detritus an "it", but I don't think that's right.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3 Post by Technic[Bot] »

We have heard, from Detritus, that Rose was actually a willing coconspirator. Which for me still makes little sense. The way she spoke before about getting rid of Trace and loosing hope of anything getting better is not how a willing partner speaks. Besides given her age she could have simply waited a bit to see Saria again

But let's see where this goes. Maybe the whole process of being kept on life support and the ritual starting got into her head
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Dreamfox
Citizen

#4 Post by Dreamfox »

Rose could simply testing him. Just making sure he was ready to let Saria rest in peace.
Just because she can't see it, this might still be some unnecessary convoluted scheme of his. Rose hasn't many ways of testing if he was telling the truth. Especially with her niece involved.

HSishi
Citizen

#5 Post by HSishi »

Ok, THIS is creepy.

I can literally hear a zombie-like voice in my head asking what "Rose" asked ...

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#6 Post by Tornir »

If Rose is "back online", how long is it going to be before she notices the mess the folks downstairs have made of the estate? :shock:

Rafe
Council Member

#7 Post by Rafe »

I'm not convinced that what we're seeing is Rose. Maybe Rose is in there someplace, but I get the feeling someone else is doing the talking there.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#8 Post by Tornir »

Rafe wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:42 pm I'm not convinced that what we're seeing is Rose. Maybe Rose is in there someplace, but I get the feeling someone else is doing the talking there.
Looking at her eyes, there's no green iris. I think you're right that this may not be "Rose".

Starcat5
Citizen

#9 Post by Starcat5 »

"Would Saria have wanted any of this? The genocidal war, the corruption of the Templar... stealing an innocent woman's body? Assuming she doesn't simply commit suicide, she'd leave us both and never look back."

...or, you know, something along those lines. There is "turning one's back", and then there is "simply not doing a thing the person I'm doing it for would never forgive me for".

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by Bellhead »

Starcat5 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:52 pm There is "turning one's back", and then there is "simply not doing a thing the person I'm doing it for would never forgive me for".
This. Precisely this.

Trace, in his current mindset, would have the sense to acknowledge that Saria is dead, and should have the decency to suggest honoring her memory, rather than fulfilling his former self's, and now Shadow Rose's, selfish desires.

Rose of all people should realize that the whole thing is just wrong. So yeah, I'll agree with Rafe and Tornir here, and say that something's definitely not right with her.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

MatyMaty
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#11 Post by MatyMaty »

Rose is clearly not testing Trace. She could have said "are you ready to let her go" or something along those lines. But "turn your back to Saria" imply he's betraying her.
Tornir wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:38 pm If Rose is "back online", how long is it going to be before she notices the mess the folks downstairs have made of the estate? :shock:
I don't think she cares. The whole thing... Detritus, the manor, her becoming tied to it and living far longer than a keidran should, and her current undead like state, all were done just to resurrect Saria. That was the end goal of everthing, and of their pact. Without it, she has zero reason to show loyalty to the manor and to Trace.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#12 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:58 pm
Starcat5 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:52 pm There is "turning one's back", and then there is "simply not doing a thing the person I'm doing it for would never forgive me for".
This. Precisely this.

Trace, in his current mindset, would have the sense to acknowledge that Saria is dead, and should have the decency to suggest honoring her memory, rather than fulfilling his former self's, and now Shadow Rose's, selfish desires.

Rose of all people should realize that the whole thing is just wrong. So yeah, I'll agree with Rafe and Tornir here, and say that something's definitely not right with her.
Yeah something does not quite adds up here. Maybe Trace has more failsafes on Rose that he bothered telling her?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by Bellhead »

Oooh... Wait a minute..

What if Detritus, just as Rose was, was only a projection? If that's the case, Detritus could be using Rose's form, just as it (probably) did Here, and is trying to throw Trace off by using a familiar face? That would explain everything.

steelabjur
Council Member

#14 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:55 pm We have heard, from Detritus, that Rose was actually a willing co-conspirator. Which for me still makes little sense. The way she spoke before about getting rid of Trace and loosing hope of anything getting better is not how a willing partner speaks. Besides given her age she could have simply waited a bit to see Saria again.

But let's see where this goes. Maybe the whole process of being kept on life support and the ritual starting got into her head
You're assuming that Rose believes in an afterlife (when there is no evidence she does), you're also assuming that the afterlife she believes in is a universal one that includes both Human and Keidran souls (which flies in the face of what we know of the Masks and Human/Keidran society in general). Remember when Natani and Keith visited the Basitin graveyard to see Keith's mother's grave? Natani mentioned that her people burned bodies and scattered the ashes and remains in the forests so they could return to the earth.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#15 Post by tony1695 »

Would it even be Saria? I still think the whole Ghost Laura thing was a bit of foreshadowing about just how bad an idea this whole mess is. I wouldn't be surprised, if Rose decided to go through with it, when the "Saria" that comes through discards Rose as a tool that has served its purpose. A twisted echo created and influenced by the memories of those who created it, one filled with Evil Trace's hatred of Keidran. The only reason Trace kept Rose around was because she could help bring back Saria, after all.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD