Komi Can't Communicate

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Komi Can't Communicate

#1 Post by Bellhead »

Is it possible to necro an entire board? Nobody comes in here anymore...

Anyway. Show's a slice-of-life comedy about the prettiest girl in school, who's so nervous and timid that she literally can't talk. On the surface, it's a decent comedy, complete with eccentric reactions and hilarious misunderstandings, but as somebody who was once at that level of shyness, I empathize with her a bit. Not to the level of being practically mute among any besides family, but it is an issue I feel is important to address among less social people, and it's not often shown to this degree.

Still on-going at time of writing, but I like where it's going so far.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Komi Can't Communicate

#2 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Yeah I expect Hayate to come here and close the whole subsection to prevent further Necro posting....

Bad jokes aside. I actually watch this once, i know even i am surprised. I turn on the tv once every blue moon and they were airing this so decided to give it a go.

Ok no more Jokes. I find this little anime endearing and hilarious. I think it is quite wholesome for the main cast to help Komi who has crippling social anxiety to make friends with the bunch of weirdos who atten that high school.... Well when you say it out loud like that....

Animation is lovely, script is fun and endearing, characters are funny if a bit over the top. The only issu i have is adaptation. Originally Komi can't communicate was a manga and a very popular one at that. And a los of the visual humour does not really translate well from print to screen. Specially the excessive use of text boxes that i can't read.

I am also a shy person too but thankfully i have never experienced that level of social anxiety.

Anyhow lovely show will probably watch all of it.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Hayate
The Hidden User

#3 Post by Hayate »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:02 am Yeah I expect Hayate to come here and close the whole subsection to prevent further Necro posting....
I’m just out here trying to lock the entire forum. Can’t break the rules if nobody can post anything, right?

Really tho, I did start watching this the other day. It seemed really familiar to me. I’m not sure if I read some of the manga at some point or if someone else told me about it or something.

It’s kinda cute and I like the funny way they’ve done all the expressions. Slice of life type anime have been more commonly among my favourites these days.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Komi is , for what i understand, not some obscure manga. On the contrary it is quite popular.

So it is very likely we all saw it before even if just passing or in tangential media
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Bellhead »

Honestly, I never did, until I saw a clip pop up in my Recommended feed on Youtube. Never even heard of it before. Glad I found it, though.

Also, that scene in the ramen shop... :grin: :heart:
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#6 Post by Technic[Bot] »

What i meant to say is that Komi is popular enough that it is possible that we have seen fan art or similar without noticing before. Hence her familiar looks.

Also which Ramen scene? Which chapter was that?

I really found the off bran Starbucks scene adorable and hilarious. I have, in the past, struggled to order stuff... As i say i am a shy guy.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Hayate
The Hidden User

#7 Post by Hayate »

I feel like I’ve seen Komi in memes forever. I had assumed it was a manga I came across in high school or something, but it’s not nearly that old.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:59 am Also which Ramen scene? Which chapter was that?

I really found the off bran Starbucks scene adorable and hilarious. I have, in the past, struggled to order stuff... As i say i am a shy guy.
Not sure about the manga, but in the anime it's episode 5, starting roughly halfway through.

I will say, in regards to the Starbucks thing.. When I was in elementary and middle school, I regularly went into Dunks to order hot chocolate for me and coffee for my mother. Doing that daily gave me enough confidence to go to the store alone. The trick I came up with is that there is a generic relation between server and customer, and if I played my part as simply as possible, nobody ever really noticed me, and I never drew attention.

EDIT: Dunks, more commonly known as Dunkies, is officially known as Dunkin', formerly Dunkin' Donuts. 'Round here, they're more common than any other coffee shop. As my mother used to say, "You can't swing a dead cat. It's great." ... she drank a lot of coffee...

EDIT II: Just saw the new episode. I really like seeing the wholesome interactions between Komi and her father. They can have nearly a full conversation with glances and slight gestures. And for a character who usually doesn't even have a mouth, or any facial expressions, the animators did a fantastic job of showing her mood. Especially with that playground scene. Calming music with an expressionless character, but using effects to show her mood... It worked very well.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Oh... I had not seen the 5th episode....

Yeah that scene made me hungry and sadly it is not easy to get ramen in these parts.

And for the record i still had a hard time ordering stuff until i was 15 or something. Now it is much much better. Still remember my first time at a Starbucks... It was funny in retrospective

I really like how Komi is portrayed as having crippling social anxiety but it is not played for comedy nor she is just used as comedic relief. She is a person and the rest of the cast cares about her.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#10 Post by Insomniac »

I'd never heard of this show before I saw the trailer. Komi is ME, but a girl and pretty. I WILL watch this anime eventually.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Bellhead »

Insomniac wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:02 pm I'd never heard of this show before I saw the trailer. Komi is ME, but a girl and pretty. I WILL watch this anime eventually.
I definitely recommend it. It's rare to see any show with characters that are this kind of relatable, but also very believable.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#12 Post by Bellhead »

Latest episode of season 2 features the school trip. Slight spoilers, but I found it quite heartwarming to see how Komi was able to open up with her group throughout. Still one of the few shows that when I see has an update, it just makes me smile...

But given her reactions to certain.. shall we say.. situations, I do wonder what the season finale will end up being. One can only hope. :)