For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#15196 Post by Bellhead »

OK, boomer.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15197 Post by Neutral Smith »

Shut up milennial :reni:
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15198 Post by Bellhead »

Heyheyhey! Don't go grouping me in with those entitled snotnose good-for-nothings!
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15199 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well at least we are not zoommers.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15200 Post by Bellhead »

... get off my lawn.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#15201 Post by Kellard »

Y'all old

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15202 Post by Bellhead »

I'm only old at heart.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15203 Post by Tornir »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:47 am I'm only old at heart.
Bellhead wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:36 am ... get off my lawn.
Ah, working on perfecting the very grumpy bit of your .sig now? :mrgrin:

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15204 Post by Bellhead »

Funny story, I COMPLETELY forgot I put that there. XD

But in all seriousness, I am regularly reminded that my way of life went out of style a few decades ago. XP-based computer playing pirated Youtube music through a dual cassette boombox with a wooden swivel bar stool as a chair, tools you'd only see in cartoons... I still prefer landlines over cell phones, though I still miss my flip phone.

This era just doesn't like me that much.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15205 Post by Neutral Smith »

I do like the modern technology, but not what's done with it.

I like modern computer technology, pushing things as far as consumers can do, but I do not like all the unicorn RGB gaming vomit that they put behind the windows in cases.

I'm not that old fashioned that I prefer command line, but I do like a basic looking interface where you can tinker with a lot of settings.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15206 Post by Bellhead »

Indeed. Customization should be easier with this level of technology, but for some reason, just about everyone has put in their utmost effort to limit each device's individuality. It's quite a shame.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15207 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I do like how computers have advanced leaps in so little time and cost have gone down. I really do not like how that technology is used these days. Back in the early 2000s computers and the web seemed like a new frontier where you do anything, build everything and meet everyone. Fast forward 20 year and we are firmly stuck with facebook and google and other mass surveilance software :/

I love RGB lights! i think they are the most beautifull way to waste good electricity! Wish i knew who started that silly trend, at least non RGB components have become somewhat cheaper as a result. Hopefully i will finally be able to ensemble my own PC in the near future, no RGB mind you.

I do work on command lines every day, it gets far easier when you get the hang of it. Look ma no mouse! Despite all this talk of innovation most tech companies are reliant on old stuff. Most servers run software built in the 90's. Current versions of Unix (linux) and windows kernel (NT) both originated in the same decades. And of course you can trace back that software to the venerable PDPs in the 70's. Make no mistake technology is a traditionalist industry.

There is nothing preventing you to make your computer look like this But it is not gonna be easy and it is almost impossible on windows. From a commercial standpoint is easier to remove control from the end user as the more knobs and dials you provide the more likely something will break and you will have to support it.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15208 Post by Bellhead »

Customer concern: "Vehicle has lost the going forwardness capability."
Advisor: *squints* "Seems legit."
Technician: "Y'all done got the collective intelligence of a sack of potatoes."

Honestly not quite sure if I dreamed this while napping, if I saw it happen, or if it was made up by the bunch of us while bashing the advisors for little things.

That said, this was an actual concern I got: "between 25/435 mph, car makes a gurgle gurp noise like a fan is working too hard". My first question to the advisor: "So it goes away at exactly 436 mph, right? I can't duplicate that, so I have to ask."

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15209 Post by Tornir »

435 mph? Probably the warp core coolant pump then.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15210 Post by Bellhead »

Not 435, 436. If they only got to 435, they wouldn't know that the noise went away above that. Besides, we already replaced the warp core coolant pumps. Did a flush of the system, too. 8) :roll: