Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Last Man Posting

#15136 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Not so long ago i started to look for extra stuff to do at work to stave off the boredom. At this point i ran out of extras too....

In any case I do keep a couple of personal projects on the side whenever i have some time to kill.

Believe it or not a not insignificant amount of home built computers go with liquid cooling. Personally i don't thing any home computer dissipates enough heat to require it but the option exist and i think it is quieter

Also you can use mineral oil if you really want a submersible PC. Maintenance is a pain though.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15137 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:26 am Also you can use mineral oil if you really want a submersible PC. Maintenance is a pain though.
How about this for a submersible PC? (With real submersible!)

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15138 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Awesome. I still prefer Linus attempt though.

A submersed oil cooled PC is the peak of overkill don't see any situation where that would be practical over other solutions even then as the article you link points out under serious load you get almost boiling oil in a canister, not good. Microsoft did attempt to sea cool its server once though.

But i also understand if you do that it is not because you need to, is because you want to! And as long as you are having fun it is fine by me.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#15139 Post by Tornir »

Dunno if it's true, but years ago I heard a story about someone who'd swapped the water in their liquid cooling system for mercury, because of it's better thermal conductivity.
Everything was fine for a while, but the stuff was dissolving the aluminum fittings from the inside, and ended up spilling out all over the computer, destroying it, and making a serious mess.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#15140 Post by Bellhead »

Yeah, don't use a conductive liquid to cool an electronic device. That's what we call, a stupid move.

In my complete lack of experience, I think what I'd do instead would be to use solid copper to transfer the heat somewhere else, like laptops do. In that case, any method of cooling could be used without risk to the computer's hardware, even blowing heat on your feet in the winter.
... how well does copper transmit heat over distances? Too lazy to do research at work...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master

#15141 Post by Tornir »

IIRC... Copper is about the best material you can get; thermal transter is around twice that of aluminum.
Gold is better than copper, ans silver is better than gold, but getting enough of those to reach your feet from the computer might prove to be a little costly.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15142 Post by Bellhead »

Oh, absolutely. The cost of the metal itself, let alone shaping and forming, would be astronomical. Copper would be leaps and bounds cheaper than gold or silver, but still crazy expensive. But I wasn't thinking of routing copper plate from the CPU to my feet, I was thinking more along the lines of routing the copper outside the case, and using a much stronger cooling system from there. You could use just about anything at that point, since you're cooling basically a metal plate, isolated from any nearby components.

Hell, you could even rout them into a nice big tank of liquid nitrogen, just for kicks. Now THAT, would NEVER overheat. might freeze the whole room, though.

Heh..
"Hey, mom? Can we turn the heat on?"
"No. It's 95 degrees out. Open a window."
"I did. It's still 40 in here. The computer's running cold again."
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master

#15143 Post by Tornir »

In that case, you could just use a stock high quality dual-fan CPU cooler. Flip one of the fans over so it blows air out, and block off the top/sides of the heat sinks radiator vanes. Fit some extractor fan type flexible ducting from the blowing fan to the inside of a vent mount in the case, then some more from the outside down to point at your feet.

Nitrogen in an open container in a closed room could be a problem. As it evaporates, it'll change the composition of the air in the room, displacing the oxygen. Since this (unlike a build-up of CO2) doesn't trigger a physiological suffocation response, you may not notice, and pass out from hypoxia when you're in there.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15144 Post by Bellhead »

The point wasn't where I want the heat to go, it was that I could cool the CPU by almost any method imaginable without putting anything within the case at risk, while maintaining maximum cooling capability. I just thought it'd be cool.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15145 Post by Technic[Bot] »

There are completely passive solutions for PC cooling:

For example Monsterlabo and Noctua Some weird motherboards also allow you to set the passive coolers outside the case so you can have an external cooling solution.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#15146 Post by Kellard »

Pasta

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15147 Post by Neutral Smith »

Liquid metal.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15148 Post by Bellhead »

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15149 Post by Neutral Smith »

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/prod ... ctonaut-en that kind of liquid metal.

But to be honest, I prefer paste. I have the gut feeling that it's better for longer use.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15150 Post by Bellhead »

Simplicity is key. Never overcomplicate something you might have to fix one day.