Comic for October 13, 2021: Dragons, Coming Through!

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Comic for October 13, 2021: Dragons, Coming Through!

#1 Post by Bellhead »

Welp, I guess we know how Reni's fight went... And now we know that Clovis is stronger than an adolescent dragon with that amulet. If some of the people in that manor right now didn't have the strength of a small militia, I'd say that was very bad, but there are still SO many ways this can go.

Also, the sound effect of Reni smashing through the floor changed from "smash" to "boom" between sketch and color. I wonder what the reasoning was.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Comic for October 13, 2021: Dragons, Coming Through!

#2 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well seems we were rigth. Clovis was not gonna go down that easily. And seems we have two fronts now.

True a lot of the people currently in the manor are professional soldiers and/or know how to figth but there is also a lot of non-combatants here, something that Clovis is likely to exploit. On top of that most warriors are tired or hurt. This is gonna get messy.

By the way great way to kill the tone of the last pages with Reni bleping into unconsiouness with swirly eyes. I mean it is cute but kinda out of place.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:01 am By the way great way to kill the tone of the last pages with Reni bleping into unconsiouness with swirly eyes. I mean it is cute but kinda out of place.
Funny story: the first thing to come to mind when I saw that was a Pokémon reference in the form of an imagined referee saying "Reni is unable to battle!"
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Naldru
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#4 Post by Naldru »

In Pokemon, wasn't it often following the trope where you almost get knocked out but start fighting again (like standing at the count of eight) and then come back with a surge of energy to win the final victory. We also don't know what Clovis looks like at the moment. You know, the "But you should see the other guy trope."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#5 Post by Technic[Bot] »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:01 am By the way great way to kill the tone of the last pages with Reni bleping into unconsiouness with swirly eyes. I mean it is cute but kinda out of place.
Funny story: the first thing to come to mind when I saw that was a Pokémon reference in the form of an imagined referee saying "Reni is unable to battle!"
I did think of pokemon too but given, i do not think, Tom ever has made a pokemon reference I thought it was just a happy accident.
Naldru wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:39 am In Pokemon, wasn't it often following the trope where you almost get knocked out but start fighting again (like standing at the count of eight) and then come back with a surge of energy to win the final victory. We also don't know what Clovis looks like at the moment. You know, the "But you should see the other guy trope."
Fair enough he may be just a charcoal brickette by now. But i bet Team B2 and A2 will still have to deal with him

Also obligatory
Reni I choose you!
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

rwstyles
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: mrs nibbley

#6 Post by rwstyles »

Makes sense that an explosion that happens literally around your neck would do more damage than one a few feet away. Not that "sense" matters all that much.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#7 Post by stlsf4003 »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:47 am
IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 am
I did think of pokemon too but given, i do not think, Tom ever has made a pokemon reference I thought it was just a happy accident.
Naldru wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:39 am In Pokemon, wasn't it often following the trope where you almost get knocked out but start fighting again (like standing at the count of eight) and then come back with a surge of energy to win the final victory. We also don't know what Clovis looks like at the moment. You know, the "But you should see the other guy trope."
Fair enough he may be just a charcoal brickette by now. But i bet Team B2 and A2 will still have to deal with him

Also obligatory
Reni I choose you!
They'd better hope that the blast that sent a dragon crashing through the floor was enough to reduce Clovis to ash. Otherwise, they don't stand a chance against him in that kind of powered-up state.
the lurking furry railroader

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#8 Post by CrRAR »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:30 amAlso, the sound effect of Reni smashing through the floor changed from "smash" to "boom" between sketch and color. I wonder what the reasoning was.
“SMASH” in this context feels to me, while being a very appropriate storyboarding action word and account of what’s happening, far less cataclysmic and severe than “BOOM” when you take the damage being done is to layers of heavy stone and marble. Certainly much more cringe-inducing sinking-feeling sound that lends to the extreme amount of damage being done.

“BOOM” just feels more... tectonic.

Reni wrote:Grawgrle blarg...
Is that... no... is that the sound of OVERWHEMING magical prowess I hear!? Well maybe just a sudden overwhelming blast of something, at the very least!
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Foxbrethren
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#9 Post by Foxbrethren »

CrRAR wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:36 am
Bellhead wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:30 amAlso, the sound effect of Reni smashing through the floor changed from "smash" to "boom" between sketch and color. I wonder what the reasoning was.
“SMASH” in this context feels to me, while being a very appropriate storyboarding action word and account of what’s happening, far less cataclysmic and severe than “BOOM” when you take the damage being done is to layers of heavy stone and marble. Certainly much more cringe-inducing sinking-feeling sound that lends to the extreme amount of damage being done.

“BOOM” just feels more... tectonic.
I agree, but I'd also like to point out that "smash" is less an onomatopoeia and more of a word for an action that causes an onomatopoeia. Not that such logic has stopped comics in the past from using actions as such, but it at least makes sense for that to be a consideration for why such a change was made.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#10 Post by Dreamfox »

Is this the showdown? Clovis, his magic items and that one pure crystal vs. Natani and that raw power of that pile of crystals she has?
Clovis vs. Natani on a soul level?
And I thought this was interesting before.

Esn
New Citizen

#11 Post by Esn »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:01 amBy the way great way to kill the tone of the last pages with Reni bleping into unconsiouness with swirly eyes. I mean it is cute but kinda out of place.
Yeah, I agree. It's rather odd. It would feel appropriate in a more light-hearted part of the story, but here it just seems kind of forced.

trantor
Apprentice

#12 Post by trantor »

I think due Clovis exellent magical defense skills, our team need to get close enough for some hand to hand combat to bring him down. That wouldn t be an easy job.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#13 Post by Tornir »

I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet that Clovis survived that with the shield he's already demonstrated.
I doubt there's anything the gang could blast him with, that would overcome a defence that'll stop Nora's magic.
I also don't think the gang would survive long using mêlée weapons against someone with an attack that can blow a derg through the ceiling...

However...
It's not necessary to directly attack Clovis in order to kill him.*
Natani knows the Aerismentis spell, and has a bandage load of crystals available.
Explosive decompression would cause massive pulmonary barotrauma, and hypoxia, since the shield evidently isn't gas-tight.

*(The Maginot line strategy; when faced with an impregnable defence, go around it.)

Dreamfox
Citizen

#14 Post by Dreamfox »

I don't know. Clovis is probably well protected against anything physical and no stranger to airtight shields considering the item he gave Carver.
There is one spell that might go around his defences, that might even drain his magic given time. Right now he might even be more vulnerable to it than ever before. 'Heart's Desire'.
Even if it doesn't distract him, it would be interesting to see what really makes him tick. People usually aren't just greedy. Usually that has a reason, a starting point.
We'll see.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#15 Post by Bellhead »

We also have to consider his current motives, having (from his point of view) defeated Reni. Will he simply leave, assuming Romulus and Remus succeeded, or will he go after Zen and/or Natani himself? If he assumes his henchmen succeeded, we may have some time before he comes for the group, at which point they would have made preparations for it.

But if he heads directly for Zen or Natani, we have several injured fighters scattered throughout the manor, and Sythe and Reni are the only ones that have even seen Clovis, and Zen probably hasn't even considered that Clovis might have appeared in person. Sythe might not even know who Clovis is, Reni's unconscious, and the rest of everyone is probably not even thinking about it. This has the potential to end very badly.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.