Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14776 Post by Bellhead »

"Normal" is a setting on a washing machine. I prefer "passably sane", or at least, "not completely crazy". Derp.
The Simpsons Movie wrote: No, rats can't be trapped this easily. You're trapped like... carrots.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14777 Post by Technic[Bot] »

As I grow old and meet and interact with more people o have come to realize I am much less quirky, weird and unique than i thought. In fact in the grand scheme of things turns out I am quite a boring person. At least more than I expected that is for sure.

Also never saw that movie which again i suppose doesn't surprise anyone anymore.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14778 Post by Bellhead »

The general definition of "weird", as it pertains to social interaction, from my experience, is loosely defined as, "Somebody whose actions do not make logical or rational sense to others nearby," or possibly, "Somebody that behaves in a manner which does not befit a member of modern society and/or the group they are in." And yes, I made that up based on personal experience, nothing more.

With that in mind, the only reason people still see me as weird, is that I've been antisocial for so long that even to this day, some of my mannerisms and habits are so far out of style as to be considered archaic, and I'm stubborn enough that I don't want to change them to fit modern customs and ideals. I function primarily based on habit with no filter when I'm comfortable with my social and physical environments, and my habits are based on a life of outdated equipment, stubbornness and antisocial behavior.

It's 9:30 local time and I'm tired. This is the time of day that conversation.dll clocks out, but brain.exe keeps running for a while. I've literally caught myself talking for over a half hour, to nothing, during this period. Turns out, empty space is a really good listener... It's when it starts responding, that you have an issue.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14779 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Archaic? If you do not mind me asking: how so?

I do talk to myself more than I would like to admit. In my case mind.elf sometimes works to fast and overflows and conversation.so is the only place where it can go. But i try not to do it in public as I get some weird looks.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14780 Post by Bellhead »

I usually try to have a "chivalrous" approach to introductions, where I use terms like Sir or Ma'am, and "Pleasure to meet you" and such. I call people "dingbat" and "nimrod", which are insults that went out of style decades ago. I'll walk around barefoot on a nice day, and I listen to chill, background-type music, which is.. well, very me, but also still outdated, though still unique.

I really feel like I would seem right at home in the 1980s.. Maybe '70s. Minus all the racist crap of that era.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14781 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Are that type of introduction not common over there?

For all of my life all formal introductions are address with honorifics: Mr/Mrs superceded by the profession. So unless is people I am already friends with, it is always Mr Fernandez, Mrs Ortega, Professor Villanueva etc.
I am not very familiar with honorifics in the US but despite not being that popular as before i was under the impression sir and ma'am are still widely used.

I always wanted to call someone a 'nilcoomputer' unfortunately never had the chance.
And climate over here is always either to hot or to wet and terrain to unwelcome to go barefoot at least if you value your feet. but you reminded me of a professor who usually went barefoot on his office.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14782 Post by Bellhead »

Using "sir" or "ma'am" is uncommon, but not quite rare. It's more of a professionalism thing. But I use it all the time.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14783 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Maybe it is just a language difference.
In spanish "Señor-Señora" is equivalent to Mr/Mrs we do not really have a Sir/Madam unless you are actually a knight. Meaning it is very common to go "Mr Perez" and "Mrs Garcia". Unless you are in a really informal setting or with close friends.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14784 Post by Bellhead »

Language. The very reason the Chevy Nova didn't sell well in other parts of the world.
Spoiler! Size

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14785 Post by Neutral Smith »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero also had a different name in the Spanish speaking countries. (and the UK)
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14786 Post by Technic[Bot] »

They nova really doesn't go anywhere.

Did they really names a car like that?

Did no one in the whole development team speak any Spanish?

Edit. Oh they changed the name to shogun. They did have someone speaking Spanish then
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14787 Post by Bellhead »

I think they named the Nova after "supernova", the birth of a black hole. Probably had some meaning in Latin that I don't know about.

They were nice cars, back in the day.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14788 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Was talking about the Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun. Thankfully they did changed the name for Spanish speaking countries. It would have made for some fun commercials though

The nova i think is latin for new and the term for a termonuclear reaction but in most romance languages it can also mean "no va" or doesn't go. Actually i had read about that one of my high school English books .
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14789 Post by Kellard »

Nova does mean new, but not in Latin. In Portuguese. Hadn't thought of it as No va though.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14790 Post by Bellhead »

Ah, words. Causing misunderstandings for millennia.