For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14596 Post by Bellhead »

It's a '68 CJ. There's SO much room.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14597 Post by Technic[Bot] »

After a quick Google search seems the is enough room under one of those cars to set up a sleeping.

So a campaign car that doubles as a tent?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14598 Post by Bellhead »

The main selling point of the original CJ's was, as sexist as it is, "A farm vehicle you can take your wife to church in." It was a utility vehicle that it was socially acceptable to show up to church in; a veritable halfway marker between tractors and sedans.

As such, it can do just about anything short of high speeds and extreme maneuverability. Rolling it into a shop and laying underneath on a creeper with a blanket is pretty easy for something like that. Honestly, though, it's more of an "I sleep really well when I'm laying underneath it" kind of thing. It calms me. Best night's sleep I ever had was on a creeper underneath that Jeep, with my knees bungee-corded to the undercarriage, wearing a car work suit. Slept like a baby for something like 6 hours.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14599 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Not entirely sure why but whenever I see that particular car, not very often mind you. I can't help but to imagine it in a grainy black and white film of the african theather in WWII or something like that.So at the end of the day in my mind that is a war car. Not necessarily something to take my darling wife to Sunday service.

Also sorry but I have to ask. Why do you tie yourself to the car? Or is just my bad English going sideways?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14600 Post by Bellhead »

The first jeeps were military utility vehicles, but after the war, civilian jeeps, or the CJ series, started becoming popular.

And no, you heard right. The human body, physically, when sleeping on your back, tends to be more comfortable with your knees elevated. So I tied them to the frame to keep them elevated. Slept like a rock.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14601 Post by Technic[Bot] »

They indeed become popular, it is shame modern models are soo expensive. I would really like one....
By the way as a corollary of my previous post everytime you talk about your Jeep I imagine you and your jeep fighting the African theater on WWII.

May try the knee trick sometime, never heard about it before but seems worth a try
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14602 Post by Bellhead »

I should find a way to upload a picture of it somewhere this computer can access. It's very clearly not a military vehicle... Looks cool, though.

On another note, I have successfully diagnosed a no-start concern on a 1981 DeLorean DMC-12. We knew it wasn't getting fuel, so we checked the fuses. Then we pulled the pump connector, and powered it manually, and it worked, so we had a brilliant idea: check the manual. After much searching, we found a very valuable piece of information: "Failure of the relay is indicated by the failure of the related component." Because that very clearly cannot ever be caused by ANYTHING else.

Very smart, these people were.

Now we just have to deal with the misfiring, hesitation, transmission that lasts 20,000 miles, taillights that refuse to work right, the automatic locks, power window harnesses, and that weird thing it does when you drive it as a daily for two or more days and it will miraculously refuse to start for some unknown reason.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14603 Post by Technic[Bot] »

To be fair even the modern keeps designed for mother's with kids still have a hint of military. At least for me.

Nobody likes writing manuals. That is the issue. the engineer who made the stuff can be [censored] to document it. And the guys stuck having to write it would prefer doing anything else. They also have no idea how it's works and barely even understand what they are writing.

That being said in my job our lead technical writer has a master on english language and I have never read such a beautiful manual. He is also a pleasure to work with. Sadly only me and him seem to read it customers don't even seem to know there is a manual.

Also problem sounds electric.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14604 Post by Bellhead »

Fuel pump relay, which had already been replaced, failed. Swapped it, and it ran fine.

And the issue isn't that they just knuckle-dragged their way through it. There's actually an immense amount of detail into certain things. The specifics are there, it's the general basic stuff that they screwed up royally.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14605 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So the relay blew got replaced and blew again? That is likely electric. There is a reason Delorean went under.

The manual thing sounds like the usual:
Engineer: "But we haven't finished it yet. "
Manager: "It is good enough as is ship it"
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14606 Post by Bellhead »

Honestly, it very well could be electric. But that relay hasn't gone out in... 30 years? Give or take a decade? Could just be that it wore out.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14607 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I did not know relays could last that long
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14608 Post by Bellhead »

A relay is an electromagnet and a pair of contacts. If it's made right, it can last just about forever. Thicker coil wires, flyback voltage protection, only in use when the load side is unloaded.. There are a lot of ways to reduce wear.

But if you think that's impressive, my father remains one of the only people capable of booting a machine where he works that still runs DOS on it's original harddrive, from the '80s when he started. Scary thing is, they still need it for certain things..

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14609 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Precisely that is why everything is solid state this days. Relays rely (pun intended ) on mechanical contacts they will eventually simply wear themselves out after commuting one too many times. That is why I was surprised.

The machine is still more impressive though. I am pretty sure the mechanical drives are not rated for decades of use.
Also I think the scariest part is that they still need it.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14610 Post by Bellhead »

That moment when you realize the aqueduct system you made last year, that caught every roof leak before they "fixed" the roof, is now completely useless because now it leaks in different places.

Fun times. Back to the world of placing buckets on the floor...