New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Comic for March 24, 2021: Seeing Things

#1 Post by Aevere »

HSishi
Citizen

Re: Comic for March 24, 2021: Seeing Things

#2 Post by HSishi »

That foggy shadow thing pretty much looks dragon-ish :) .

Nibs for sure isn't a common squirrel. Knowing the Keidran magic weakness (the need of Mana crystals) is something a common squirrel usually doesn't pick up by accident.

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by TheMouse »

There's not really a surprise here, but it's nice to see that we're most likely correct that Nibs is a baby dragon. Yaaaaay!
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#4 Post by Elemental Templar »

Well...
this more-or-less confirms that Nibs is a dragon in disguise; however, what I'd like to speculate on is what her relation is regard to the other dragon characters we've seen?

My Theory

She's Reni's Younger Sister

Proof?

1. From her character reference section, which in-canon was penned by Raine (i.e. mostly made up), we show that her age is around 6. Which although technically on the older side of age for actual squirrels, it would be practically infantile for the Dragons of Mekkan; moreover, for a dragon raised among humans and thus with their frame of reference, she would quite literally be a child.

2. As Raine said on page 967, baby dragons often shift into animals to explore the world; hence the reason for her to sneak out in the first place; furthermore, if the previous speculation is correct, Nibs being a rather young dragon would explain why she's a squirrel in the first place. She probably doesn't have the knowledge and/or the experience to shift into anything other than small quadruped.

3. She both has a massive immunity to and a massive disregard towards danger: She's been hanging with predators this whole time, just survived a fire blast, getting slammed into tree after launching herself at an angry fox to save her new friends, and jumped into a hot-spring without fearing that she could've been "Boiled Alive"

4. Like Reni, Nora and likely most of the Royal Dragon Lineage, she has no reservations about holding affection for those outside her species; the main difference being where most of her kin most prefer humans, she prefers Keidran*.

5. Her apparent fear of Reni: Of everything that's happened with the group(s) thus far, the only time Nibbly has shown genuine fear was when Reni came Crashing Down. Likely due to the fear of her being caught & scalded for leaving the capital without anyone's knowledge (As little kids tend to do).

*Yes, I am well aware that if this theory does hold true and Nibs is in-fact a six-year-old little dragon girl in disguise, that it would be very inappropriate to romantically ship her Sythe; but, for the sake of the story I could see her being like a Tag-Along Kid kind of character with a crush on him, kind of like Patty Fleur from Tales of Vesperia.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

NinjaWithAStick
Merchant

#5 Post by NinjaWithAStick »

Elemental Templar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:32 am Well...
this more-or-less confirms that Nibs is a dragon in disguise; however, what I'd like to speculate on is what her relation is regard to the other dragon characters we've seen?

My Theory

I agree with everything you wrote here; Nibbly being a dragon seems very likely. However, I dread the possibility of what if she's not?
And that's just my walking stick...

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#6 Post by Him »

Perhaps I'm stubborn... but I'm not convinced she's a dragon still. Her black form with yellow eyes is similar to the dark figure on chapter cover 848 https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/848/

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#7 Post by Cosmacelf »

My Theory

Proof?

1. From her character reference section, which in-canon was penned by Raine (i.e. mostly made up), we show that her age is around 6. Which although technically on the older side of age for actual squirrels, it would be practically infantile for the Dragons of Mekkan; moreover, for a dragon raised among humans and thus with their frame of reference, she would quite literally be a child.

2. As Raine said on page 967, baby dragons often shift into animals to explore the world; hence the reason for her to sneak out in the first place; furthermore, if the previous speculation is correct, Nibs being a rather young dragon would explain why she's a squirrel in the first place. She probably doesn't have the knowledge and/or the experience to shift into anything other than small quadruped.

3. She both has a massive immunity to and a massive disregard towards danger: She's been hanging with predators this whole time, just survived a fire blast, getting slammed into tree after launching herself at an angry fox to save her new friends, and jumped into a hot-spring without fearing that she could've been "Boiled Alive"

4. Like Reni, Nora and likely most of the Royal Dragon Lineage, she has no reservations about holding affection for those outside her species; the main difference being where most of her kin most prefer humans, she prefers Keidran*.

5. Her apparent fear of Reni: Of everything that's happened with the group(s) thus far, the only time Nibbly has shown genuine fear was when Reni came Crashing Down. Likely due to the fear of her being caught & scalded for leaving the capital without anyone's knowledge (As little kids tend to do).

*Yes, I am well aware that if this theory does hold true and Nibs is in-fact a six-year-old little dragon girl in disguise, that it would be very inappropriate to romantically ship her Sythe; but, for the sake of the story I could see her being like a Tag-Along Kid kind of character with a crush on him, kind of like Patty Fleur from Tales of Vesperia.
This! Bravo!

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#8 Post by Cosmacelf »

For those that worry that Nibbly isn’t a baby dragon, you have to explain why she is really nervous around Reni.

Aevere
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#9 Post by Aevere »

Cosmacelf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 am For those that worry that Nibbly isn’t a baby dragon, you have to explain why she is really nervous around Reni.
Probably because dragons are quite large and squirrels are quite small. My dog used to be scared of horses lol.
I do subscribe to baby dragon theory though.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#10 Post by Bellhead »

Called it. Shadow-covered quadruped dragon form. A bit smaller than I first thought, but still. Also, THANK YOU TOM for not going for a scene switch right then. This is VERY much appreciated.
Cosmacelf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 am For those that worry that Nibbly isn’t a baby dragon, you have to explain why she is really nervous around Reni.
Well, I'm in the "baby dragon" camp myself, but it's not that hard to figure out why any creature would be afraid of dragons, short of other dragons, or masks. Or basitin, for some reason. Dragons are notoriously powerful, immune to time, only grow stronger with age... Incredible magic abilities, shape-shifting and telepathy.. The list goes on. Even if Nibs were some kind of weird shadow-creature, even then she would know not to mess with the likes of one of them.

Be that as it may, I still believe she's a dragon, and what we see here is her using her abilities to scare and/or attack Remus and this is the aftermath. It would make plenty of sense for her to use her end-game final form in the scariest way possible; such as covering herself in a shape-shifting black aura. I suppose it's also possible that she's some kind of dark mana creation, which would explain both the waterfall reflection and her aura here.. but if that were the case...

Would Raine (daughter of the former GRAND TEMPLAR, and the most raw-powerful person in-comic),
Carver (a mage who recognizes people with power),
and Rose (basically made of magic at this point and connected to the manor's defenses against who-knows-what)
ALL have missed it? Seems like a bit of a stretch.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by aitaituo »

Him wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:21 am Perhaps I'm stubborn... but I'm not convinced she's a dragon still. Her black form with yellow eyes is similar to the dark figure on chapter cover 848 https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/848/
I didn't buy it until this page. In the previous page, you can clearly see that Nibs' right ear was smouldering with smoke coming off of it. On this page, it's unharmed. Unharmed. How is that possible that a normal squirrel could recover that quickly? Even a magically enhanced squirrel would have to have a rapid healing enhancement, which makes no sense on anyone's squirrel and would probably require an embedded soul gem mana crystal.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#12 Post by tony1695 »

We simply don't know enough about the world to be entirely sure what she is. Tom has been very sparse when it comes to details about what kind of creatures outside of the ones we've encountered exist, with Patreon sketches that act as lore-building probably better treated as "non-canon until it crops up in-story". While a dragon does seem like the most plausible explanation with this page, maybe there's something else she could be that we simply don't know about yet.

And as much fun as her being a dragon would be, that feels... stale, predictable. I wonder, could a dragon have viable offspring with any member of any species?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#13 Post by Cosmacelf »

For those that say, well anyone would be afraid of a dragon ... Nibbly was NOT afraid of Carver, Remus, the hotspring, carnivores that should have eaten her, etc. There is no reason why she should have been afraid of Reni and not afraid of the others. They all could have killed her - oh wait, two of them did.

No, Nibbly was worried about Reni for some other reason than her life.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14 Post by Technic[Bot] »

First:
Thanks Tom for throwing us a bone and not simply switching perspective to somewhere else.

My Theory

-snip-
Personally I prefer thinking she is Trace/Nora lost child, yes the one Nora decided not to mention after Trace went full genocidal maniac. Unlikely but I think it is more interesting than just any other dragon.
TheMouse wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:39 pm There's not really a surprise here, but it's nice to see that we're most likely correct that Nibs is a baby dragon. Yaaaaay!
Well she definetely looks serpentine.
NinjaWithAStick wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:45 am

My Theory

I agree with everything you wrote here; Nibbly being a dragon seems very likely. However, I dread the possibility of what if she's not?
Exactly this, despite looking in general, like a dragon she may be something else. My dragon lore is rusty and my DnD lore is non existent but i do not remember hearing of dark/smoke based dragons before. Considering the only things we have seen that remotely look like here are Dark Trace's remnants inside Traces head, aka smoke hallucination, and detritus I am gonna diversify my assets and bet some on her being some eldirth abomination or necromantic experiment gone awry. In any case whatever she is we still do not know what her motives are, maybe she just thinks Sythe is big and cool and took a liking to him as a paternal figure or something. Or maybe she wants to eat [better not ellaborate there]. This is in my opinion even more scary we know she is not what she seems but have no idea what she intents.... I am gonna have sciurine nightmares now :/ ....
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

steelabjur
Council Member

#15 Post by steelabjur »

Good old unreliable narrator trope, since we're seeing Nibs from Sythe's POV, and even he thinks he may have a concussion, we can't be certain of anything other than the last panel.