Rant/Vent/sad thread

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#21946 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tesla Foxtrot wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:26 pm How many new and old legends have come and gone ? :kathrin:
Mr Tesla glad to see your a well!

The forum has bee slow as usual a bit more due to the pandemic. But We did get a small surge of users like a month ago.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#21947 Post by Spazoid »

Had to leave the only fencing club I've ever belonged to after 25 years. We're moving to a smaller space and there's no room for my armory....plus, when the owners straight up tall you that you can;t sell gear at the club anymore, then change that to you can sell, but we get 30% of your sales AND any non-member coming in for armory services has to pay the club an additional floor fee....it's time to get out.

They're going to do sales when they know nothing about the gear from a sales POV and I've been doing it for 20 years...that'll work well. And repairing the club gear? They may be able to fix the small stuff, but when it comes to the floor reels and scoring boxes, they're WAY out of their depth (again....20 years as an armorer for me, including several national and international events).

Spent a few hours clearing my gear out of the office and putting it into storage....not a good feeling at the end.
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21948 Post by Warrl »

Spazoid wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 am Had to leave the only fencing club I've ever belonged to after 25 years. We're moving to a smaller space and there's no room for my armory....plus, when the owners straight up tall you that you can;t sell gear at the club anymore, then change that to you can sell, but we get 30% of your sales AND any non-member coming in for armory services has to pay the club an additional floor fee....it's time to get out.

They're going to do sales when they know nothing about the gear from a sales POV and I've been doing it for 20 years...that'll work well. And repairing the club gear? They may be able to fix the small stuff, but when it comes to the floor reels and scoring boxes, they're WAY out of their depth (again....20 years as an armorer for me, including several national and international events).

Spent a few hours clearing my gear out of the office and putting it into storage....not a good feeling at the end.
Leave them your contact information and a (high) price list for common repairs you think are beyond them... while informing them that payment for needed materials will be received BEFORE the work is done. Because it sounds like the owners are trying to turn it from a pays-its-own-way hobby to a cash cow, and I think they'll milk it dry and then kill it fairly quickly.

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#21949 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 am [
Mr Tesla glad to see your a well!

The forum has bee slow as usual a bit more due to the pandemic. But We did get a small surge of users like a month ago.
Hope youre well too!
Have decided to come out. So its mrs now :squirrel:
Hope all you new guys have an great time!
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#21950 Post by Spazoid »

Warrl wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:44 am

Leave them your contact information and a (high) price list for common repairs you think are beyond them... while informing them that payment for needed materials will be received BEFORE the work is done. Because it sounds like the owners are trying to turn it from a pays-its-own-way hobby to a cash cow, and I think they'll milk it dry and then kill it fairly quickly.
They've had my contact info for years...I predate their tenure at the club by a LOT....they were in kindergarten when I started!

Re the repairs...I already told them I'd do NO armory for the club, and there aren't that many active armorers in our area.

They'll hit a repair wall soon enough.
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#21951 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So no Aprils fool comic yet. Thank god.

I really really hate this day. Over the past years jokes, if you can call them that, have gone downhill, boring and pointless specially since corporate entities like google, decided to also post april fool jokes too. Fortunately they decided against this year. Considering Covid and all that I can only call that common sense.
On top of that given my country i have to endure this think twice a year, once on april first every English based thing i follow decides to put their funny hat on and fail at making jokes and December 28th the same think happens with all Spanish media I follow.... Not fun....

Also nothing against Tom april fools sketches they are one of the few instances were they are actually funny.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Chicken Man
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The pizza

#21952 Post by Chicken Man »

I'm an autistic chicken and I just want to be loved.
(;_;) (;_;) (;_;) (;_;)

Cuckooooo!

The chicken cries for companionship but none is found.

My high school English teacher was one of a few educators that know I am autistic and enjoyed my writing. She encouraged me. Most people told me to stop... I treasure those that didn't. I dedicate this existential expression to her.

:potatoes:
Representing the bagged off state of autism. People reach in the bag for what they want but then leave the rest stored away and out of sight. When the potatoes come out on their own it is an inconvenience...

Is the art clear now?! Is the autistic artistic expression lain bare?!

Woe I say! Woe unto me much misfortune and sorrow.
I'll cross the road and cluck with you.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#21953 Post by Bellhead »

The DeLorean factory service manual was written by engineering dropouts and proofread by literature students, and includes no relative diagnostic information, and finding even partially relevant information is exceedingly difficult, given the almost complete lack of a Table of Contents, and the complete lack of any form of indexing, lack of page numbers, and (since I'm a mechanic by trade, I know this) doesn't know how electrical components work.

"If the thing isn't working, it's the relay." is an actual thing this book says. The wiring diagrams are almost illegible, too small to read anyway, have no real labels (only numbers) and no key to find anything. Information between the book itself is even inaccurate.

The car itself has a fair amount of power, but the transmission craps out every 20K miles, if your lucky. It handles like a go-cart due to its drive setup, but the brakes work like crap. It's a complete [censored]-box. "It's fun to drive, when it works" is probably the only nice thing I can say about it. Besides the washer nozzles built into the wiper arms. That's cool. When it works, anyway.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#21954 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So sorry for the rant but want to get this off my chest.

There have been recent changes at my work. No fortunately I have not been fired on the contrary i received a tiny raise, however i do not think it was for the best reasons. Turns out a new director came out of for a section of the company, I am talking really upper management here, lets call him Director. So they decided to transfer some projects to him for whatever reason. So they carved half of my department to give it to him. This slashed our headcount by half at least, and we were not even given a heads up, our senior director asked for a department wide meeting and said, "the project will be moved to this new director along with a bunch of you" they also did not even asked the guys if they wanted to be transferred they just did.

Let me take a second to mention that the project, Lets call it Ap had been in our department for over a decade now it was already end-of-life but there was still maintenance stuff to be done and the Ap++ version, the newer a modern version of the same project also got transferred, so two of my bosses got the work of basically their whole careers snatched from them. I mean that is the nature of things but no one even bothered to tell them. It was as much as a surprise for me, the new guy as for them who have been almost 20 years in the company.

Again fortunately no one got fired, there are a lot of other stuff the company has to do and we were on a prime position to take over those projects. For the moment it did not affected me as the part of the department i work in was left as it was, they project i work on did not got transferred. But people we clearly rubbed the wrong way by this whole ordeal, for a moment it became clear the company can simply take you job and give it to someone else. No wonder 3 guys resigned in the following months, they decided to find some better place to do their thing and I do not blame me. Personally I have problems with getting HR departments to notice me, I cannot leave even if I wanted to.

And it is not the worst part yet, the new Director clearly has a vision of how to keep working on Ap and Ap++, which is basically scrap the whole thing and build B. This again did not sit well with my colleagues as the new requirements are quite a tall order, on top of that the new managers under Director are way more strict than they were used to and their proposed timeframes are unrealistic. Basically management expect everything to work simple because they say so. Yet they do not have enough personnel to do all they want to do in so little time:

Over here we have the same issue, at least the new Director is doing the same thing we were doing before, there is a lot of experience and know-how that is easily transferred between projects. But the new that they assigned to us. Well not so much, over a couple of weeks I could see a lot of colleagues worried because the new project was far outside their area of expertise. On top of that management failed to properly size the project both in scope, time and personnel so what was already a complicated task became even worse. Last time I checked they were a month behind schedule. And let me stress these are some really talented people working on it. Management simply failed to realize this project was as important and complicated as it turned out.

So how does management deals with bad decisions? By making worse decisions. They decided to transfer my direct Boss, someone i really like, to that other project. Hoping he could miraculously fix the mess they were carrying, I mean he is extremely talented and has immense technical and managerial skills but he is no thaumaturge. Also they still expect the project he left. What i actually do if i may add, to not get delayed in any form. Again let me stress, this is not cause we are incompetent we either need more time or more people they cannot fix this mess Director caused by simply shuffling people around and expecting thing to magically solve themselves.

On top of that my Boss was his boss right hand man and that clearly threw him off. He is basically on denial and is completely over encumbered by his own work, I have no idea how he is to do everything my Boss used to do. I guess i will end up doing it and 😩😩😩😩😩. There is a reason people say we quit managers, not jobs...

So yeah TL;DR New Director appeared company proceed to carve my department to give something to him and move everything around. Poor management then caused everything to fall apart and as the department is running around like a headless chicken is trying to shuffle people around to patch the mess they are in.

Thanks for reading my rant and sorry to bore you with pointless office politics, it is not like i can chat with my bosses about this and it has been a stressful weeks (all this mess started in january if you are curious)

*Yes he really looks like that, except he does not like wearing suits.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Trabian
Templar Master

#21955 Post by Trabian »

Sorry to hear that ^^
So sorry for the rant but want to get this off my chest.
This is exactly what this thread was made for... *checks thread age* err... 13 years ago.
Growing old is obligatory,
Growing up is optional.

If Waaagh ain't helpin wif yer problem, you is not using enuf.

- Herbes, Black Orc.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21956 Post by Warrl »

It's becoming more and more apparent that software projects need historians.

Starting when?

Starting the first time anyone, in any of the meetings discussing requirements, says "that's a bad idea because..." or "we tried that on this other project and..."

And note, this is NOT just someone recording what's said in the meeting. This person, or their successor in the job, must be prepared to sit up in another meeting years later and say "That sound familiar, let me look... yes, that was discussed on June 11 2011 and the idea was rejected because..."

(One some forum I'm on, somebody talked about their role as the institutional memory, stopping the reinventing of the wheel, saying "we tried that 5 years ago and it didn't work because... and we tried it 15 years ago and it didn't work because..."
... and I replied that it sounded like he was stopping the reinventing of the square wheel.)

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#21957 Post by tony1695 »

So, it's my birthday on Friday. Don't care, haven't cared in years. If it was up to me I'd get a pizza and lock myself in my room, not much different from what I normally do.

But do I get to do that? Nope, parents have made plans without my input and expect me to nod along like a good little robot. And they wonder why I don't interact with them outside of the bare minimum. Doesn't help that I'm currently living with them still, but... It'd be nice if they let me make choices about things like this.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#21958 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:46 pm So, it's my birthday on Friday. Don't care, haven't cared in years. If it was up to me I'd get a pizza and lock myself in my room, not much different from what I normally do.

But do I get to do that? Nope, parents have made plans without my input and expect me to nod along like a good little robot. And they wonder why I don't interact with them outside of the bare minimum. Doesn't help that I'm currently living with them still, but... It'd be nice if they let me make choices about things like this.
I felt that way for a while... Moreso at school than at home, though. My mother wasn't the type to plan a surprise party, so I always had that kind of input. My friends at school, however, would always try to celebrate it in ways I would never want, especially back in those days. It made me more reclusive, than anything.

Honestly, though, it's always seemed to me to be more of a traditional gathering of people than a celebration. At most, these days, I get a few texts, maybe a phone call, and everyone knows I'm happy with it. I'd hate to sound stereotypical, but I'm assuming you've tried talking to your parents about this?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#21959 Post by tony1695 »

Bellhead wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:50 am
tony1695 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:46 pm So, it's my birthday on Friday. Don't care, haven't cared in years. If it was up to me I'd get a pizza and lock myself in my room, not much different from what I normally do.

I felt that way for a while... Moreso at school than at home, though. My mother wasn't the type to plan a surprise party, so I always had that kind of input. My friends at school, however, would always try to celebrate it in ways I would never want, especially back in those days. It made me more reclusive, than anything.

Honestly, though, it's always seemed to me to be more of a traditional gathering of people than a celebration. At most, these days, I get a few texts, maybe a phone call, and everyone knows I'm happy with it. I'd hate to sound stereotypical, but I'm assuming you've tried talking to your parents about this?
I haven't. Dad's got the emotional range of a brick wall, my mother's Japanese and can't seem to understand the idea that I don't want to do it, and both would just try to guilt-trip me into going along with it. Couple that with how my mother thought that pushing me further and further into depression was the same thing as 'parenting' and... not surprising that I avoid interacting with them.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#21960 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:16 am
Bellhead wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:50 am

I haven't. Dad's got the emotional range of a brick wall, my mother's Japanese and can't seem to understand the idea that I don't want to do it, and both would just try to guilt-trip me into going along with it. Couple that with how my mother thought that pushing me further and further into depression was the same thing as 'parenting' and... not surprising that I avoid interacting with them.
Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, then. There's not much I can even suggest in that situation... Aside from counselling, but if your parents are like that, they may well take it as an insult if you so much as suggest it. If there's anything we can do for you, say so. And for what it's worth, I hope your birthday goes by without major incident.