The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Comic For March 18, 2021: Remus Revenge

#16 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:56 am
aitaituo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:45 am
Spiffydragon wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 pm Whelp, I guess Remus is dead soon since he tried to roast a pet and wants to continue in his antics. yes, Nibs is the last window, note the shadow ears on each side.
Looking closely, I think Nibs' right ear is partially scorched black and smoking. I know we all want her to be a fireproof dragon that unleashes hell on the next page, but I think instead we are going to find that Remus' aim is just not that good.
My take is that Sythe is gonna faint we switch perspective to another group, Trace and Flora perhaps. A couple months later, couple hours in comic, we find out Sythe has no idea what happened to Remus nor how he survived. when he woke up it was just him and Ms nibs.

Second theory: despite being an eldritch abomination Nibs decided to be discreet and used the mana cristals to cast a fireproof spell on herself then jump on to Remus and make him stumble upon his death down the stairs.

Third theory Remus incapacitated by pain failed his shot miserably and Nibs survived. However before being able to kill Sythe he is massacred by the manor defenses. Did anybody else noticed the background has been getting reddish and dark over the past few pages?
Yeah, I'm feeling like we're not going to find out what Nibs is next page either. Either we switch perspective (I agree, Trace and Flora is probably the next scene, we haven't seen what they've been up to in a while), Sythe passes out and doesn't see what happened, or Nibs just knocks him off the balcony.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#17 Post by Cosmacelf »

Zaigan wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:24 am Oh, neat! Nibbsy is a smoke monster, like her waterfall reflection.
Um, missed that one. What are you referring to?

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

#18 Post by Spiffydragon »

For some reason "Legion" comes to mind, (good show btw)...
Remus may end up being disfigured which causing them to not be twins anymore; something that would probably upset his brother and add in more revenge elements. I Still have my fingers crossed that the twins / Remus aren't just a plot piece to develop Mrs.Nibbly and Scythe but I'm afraid it is what it appears to be. Since Remus seems bent on gutting Scythe (seems to be a reoccurring theme with him), the situation can't be helped. I suppose Clovis might grab him on the way out if he is still alive after the fall.

steelabjur
Council Member

#19 Post by steelabjur »

BadFoMo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:26 am I thought this page was cut.

Anyway, is anyone else worried about what this could do for Nibbly's character/the story as a whole? I know it's been heavily implied that she's a baby Dragon (or at the very lest not a normal Squirrel), but what if it goes in a completely different direction that come right out of nowhere?
It was reworked into two pages.

Also it hasn't been implied that she's a dragon, that has been a fan best guess given our limited knowledge of Mekkan, lack of a bestiary, and what we've witnessed in the comic regarding her, I.E. her intelligence, her survival of Carver throwing her against a tree, her willingness to hang around a Wolf and general fearlessness around predatory Keidran and humans, her (justifiable) fear of Reni, etc. She could be a type of creature we've yet to see before. For example, Remus even suggested she might be a "familiar" on the previous page. In other settings a familiar is a creature (typically a household or wild creature) that serves a magic user in various ways and is typically smarter and stronger than a typical example of their species, they might even be a supernatural spirit in animal form in some settings (think Witch's black cat as a common version). The animal spies employed by the Master Seer's daughter might also be familiars (not suggesting Nibs is connected to the Master Seer's daughter, just to head that off).
Cosmacelf wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:31 am
Zaigan wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:24 am Oh, neat! Nibbsy is a smoke monster, like her waterfall reflection.
They're referring to this page, last panel. Note Nibs tail reflected in the waterfall (she's hiding under the towel on Sythe's shoulder with only her tail exposed, some mistook it as his ponytail, but if you look at the second to last panel, it's clearly Nibs tail. It's also not a distortion of the water if you compare it to other things being reflected and their color).

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#20 Post by Cinnibar »

Give it up, Remus.

As most who have wandered through a tabletop RPG know full well, if the squirrels are after you, it is not going to be a good day.

Like Doctor Who, the first...and last... thing you notice is that they are unarmed....

:squirrel: Go Nibs! :squirrel:

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#21 Post by Zaigan »

steelabjur wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:35 am
Cosmacelf wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:31 am
They're referring to this page, last panel. Note Nibs tail reflected in the waterfall (she's hiding under the towel on Sythe's shoulder with only her tail exposed, some mistook it as his ponytail, but if you look at the second to last panel, it's clearly Nibs tail. It's also not a distortion of the water if you compare it to other things being reflected and their color).
Yep! Thanks for giving the link. Yeah in the last panel you can see that Nibs' tail has a longer tendril of "smoke" or "spirit essence" that extends and coils beyond the tail length of her squirrel form. I think it's intentional, although I'm not sure what she is, just that whatever it is seems to be made up out of wispy, probably shadow energy.

If you look close on the last panel of this page, you see the curve of a head with two large, squirrely ears with wisps coming off them, framing the shot of Remus. While some might say it's just because she was on fire, I don't think that's it, since it lines up with her previous true form tease.

I can't say if we will see what her reality is in focus. Sythe seems to be on the verge of passing out, though that could give one more opportunity to tease it, or even a change of scene for the next page. Or maybe Tom will reveal it the next time. I think this gives us another look into her truth, though.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#22 Post by Bellhead »

Zaigan wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pmIf you look close on the last panel of this page, you see the curve of a head with two large, squirrely ears with wisps coming off them, framing the shot of Remus. While some might say it's just because she was on fire, I don't think that's it, since it lines up with her previous true form tease.
Not just coming off. Now that I see this page on a full-size monitor and not just my phone, I can see something rather strange about Nibbly's right ear... in that, there kinda.. isn't one.

Look closely. It's actually made of that black smoke that's rising off of it. Unlike the panel before it, where Sythe has double vision and sees multiples, Nibs' ear is, well, deforming. Vaporizing, like its losing cohesion. Light begins to pass through at the edges, and the smoke is a lighter color than the wisps of the body.

Oh Remus, you done did it now.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#23 Post by FuryoftheStars »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:49 am
Zaigan wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pmIf you look close on the last panel of this page, you see the curve of a head with two large, squirrely ears with wisps coming off them, framing the shot of Remus. While some might say it's just because she was on fire, I don't think that's it, since it lines up with her previous true form tease.
Not just coming off. Now that I see this page on a full-size monitor and not just my phone, I can see something rather strange about Nibbly's right ear... in that, there kinda.. isn't one.

Look closely. It's actually made of that black smoke that's rising off of it. Unlike the panel before it, where Sythe has double vision and sees multiples, Nibs' ear is, well, deforming. Vaporizing, like its losing cohesion. Light begins to pass through at the edges, and the smoke is a lighter color than the wisps of the body.

Oh Remus, you done did it now.
To be fair, something that is out of focus has a similar effect when you zoom in close. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that there are other possibilities.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#24 Post by Bellhead »

FuryoftheStars wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:49 amTo be fair, something that is out of focus has a similar effect when you zoom in close. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that there are other possibilities.
I see your reasoning, and raise you one logic. Smoke, wisps, any translucent gas, really.. They're never actually in focus.

But if you zoom in REEEAAALLLY far on the left side of her right ear, that one shred of wisp is abnormally clear compared to the others, and there is a rather definitive line where you can see air, then wisp, then air, then Nibs' ear, with almost no fuzziness or haziness in the middle. If it was simply out of focus, that line would be a whole lot less defined than it is.

Could just be creative license, though. I suppose.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#25 Post by FuryoftheStars »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:22 am I see your reasoning, and raise you one logic. Smoke, wisps, any translucent gas, really.. They're never actually in focus.

But if you zoom in REEEAAALLLY far on the left side of her right ear, that one shred of wisp is abnormally clear compared to the others, and there is a rather definitive line where you can see air, then wisp, then air, then Nibs' ear, with almost no fuzziness or haziness in the middle. If it was simply out of focus, that line would be a whole lot less defined than it is.

Yeah, it’s hard to tell. You could be right. I just stopped trusting how an artist draws things (more especially the minor details) as a hint/indicator of anything a long time ago cause you never know if they made a mistake or just didn’t think of/know about something, etc.

I definitely agree she’s still alive, though. In fact (after I just get through saying I don’t trust how an artists draws some things...), I think you can just see an ear in the smoke in Scythe’s view where he’s fading out.

But yeah, I agree with other predictions here on what happens next. We’re either going to cut to something else and come back to find Remus already dead with Nibs watching over Scythe, or we’re gonna get a further hint/tease at this as Scythe finishes passing out, never fully seeing the truth (yet). Either way, Scythe questions how much he saw was real/comes up with a plausible excuse.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#26 Post by Tyger42 »

Hopefully this isn't a tease and we're going to find out what Nibs' deal really is. I think we can confidently say she's not a normal squirrel...

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#27 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:22 am
FuryoftheStars wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:49 amTo be fair, something that is out of focus has a similar effect when you zoom in close. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that there are other possibilities.
I see your reasoning, and raise you one logic. Smoke, wisps, any translucent gas, really.. They're never actually in focus.

Or you know her fur may be smoldering since she was just hit by a fireball. It may had not been much but the loincloth, specially if made from cotton, could have kept her from complete incineration.
Also if she is indeed a black smoke/darkness creature like Trace old remnants and/or detritus where did she come from? Team B fount them far away from the manor, the only place we know there was active necromancy activity. Acting like a squirrel.
Tyger42 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:38 am Hopefully this isn't a tease and we're going to find out what Nibs' deal really is. I think we can confidently say she's not a normal squirrel...
We know she is no ordinary squirrel. However that does not narrow it too much as she could be anything from a hand reared squirrel pet to a baby dragon....
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

targetdrone
Traveler

#28 Post by targetdrone »

hmm.. when seeing that last panel, O Fortuna (carmina burana) started to play on my youtube autoplay.... sometimes that algorithm is scary :p
Insert signature here

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#29 Post by Yastreb »

Am I the only one whose first thought was simply that the fireball compromised the integrity of the floor, it is going to collapse and he is going to fall to his death? This being why everything is shaking in the second last panel.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by aitaituo »

Yastreb wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:12 pm Am I the only one whose first thought was simply that the fireball compromised the integrity of the floor, it is going to collapse and he is going to fall to his death? This being why everything is shaking in the second last panel.
I thought that was supposed to be Sythe's blurred vision from his injuries.