For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14311 Post by Bellhead »

Pretty colors...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14312 Post by Neutral Smith »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:51 am By the way do all houses in the Netherlands come with a NAS and a Pi or that was something you set up?
I'm a bit of a nerd, but I keep that hidden. It's not standard. Hell, even dedicated pipes for the network cables are not normal.

Unfortunately more a hardware nerd, that Pi is going to run https://pi-hole.net/ and a RTSP-RTMP recoder to stream the webcam on my balcony to YouTube.

But that's on hold, now I'm busy with my 3d printer.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14313 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I have a couple of Pi's around. Both an old model 3 and a Pi zero and i have been meaning to run Pi hole for a couple years now. But I have never got around to actually do it. Also there is something that bothers me of having an appliance/computer that you are not supposed to turn off ever same thing with the NAS.

On the other hand I am also interesting on streaming video from my house for safety and surveillance and saying hi to my dogs from work. But using that effectively required a DNS and did not wanted to pay for one :P and have not bother to look for alternatives.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14314 Post by Bellhead »

I learned something today. No matter how dumb you think something is, there is an even dumber person who decided it was a good idea.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14315 Post by Technic[Bot] »

You reminded me of something my professor used to say.

What's worse than and idiot*? An idiot whoe believes he is smart and has lots of initiative.

*He used a different word. But I can't repeat it here.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14316 Post by Bellhead »

I'll amend that with, "and who has power, and nobody to stop them."

*cue upper management*

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14317 Post by Technic[Bot] »

One of the things I like about my job is that it doesn't hire upper management externally.
Meaning everyone with a upper position had to come from the bottom. The shop floor if you will. This makes most of my bosses very knowledgeable in their area. They do know what they are doing.

Granted there is a bunch of people who have are not very bright and yet have managed to fall upwards into the ranks but it is much less common than in any other company.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14318 Post by Bellhead »

I'm a bit jealous. Most companies seem to hire based on how good a person can interact with people, rather than how well they know their trade. Management for us tends to bounce around, as if to say, "You fixed that over there, now come fix it over here for us". We had an ex-police service manager for a while. NO IDEA how he managed to become a service manager, though.

But the techs? None of us ever go anywhere, and nobody wants to come work where we are because of the company's rep, so those of us there have a pretty well-set groove we follow that's too ingrained to try to change. Not that people don't try, it just doesn't last long. :P

Personally, I stay for the almost complete autonomy they let me have. Each manager we've had has looked at my bay, my work ethic and my skills, and pretty much just left me to my own devices. So I don't really have a reason to leave.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14319 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Yep i usually work on stuff my bosses made a couple years ago. Best part is that if get stuck on something i can ask them for advice and they usually now exactly what needs to be done.

Unfortunately in most places the guy who gets the position is not the best for the particular jobs. But the one who can make the best interview. At worst this devolves in a workforce that has no idea what he is doing but can still convince you they are the most qualified person in the world.

In my job is the other way around. Management has been there forever. My boss's boss has been over 10 years here. But they have a lot of problems getting technical roles to stay over a couple of years. Most of the time some other company simply snags them with promises of riches and executive roles.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14320 Post by Bellhead »

This animated short comes to mind, with that last line.

"FORTUNE AND GLORY!"

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#14321 Post by Foxx Trotter »

DORKS. :P

I also see a Reni emote. :reni: Yeah...it's been awhile since I've been on here.
Videre videnda.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14322 Post by Technic[Bot] »

And that reminded me of dragons lair never played the arcade. Too young but I find the idea of the grandad of all QTEs fascinating.

I also see it is that time of the year when older member pop for a while. Nice!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14323 Post by Kellard »

Foxx Trotter wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:57 am DORKS. :P

I also see a Reni emote. :reni: Yeah...it's been awhile since I've been on here.
Oh hi you're alive

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14324 Post by Bellhead »

I second that reaction.

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#14325 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:11 am And that reminded me of dragons lair never played the arcade. Too young but I find the idea of the grandad of all QTEs fascinating.

I also see it is that time of the year when older member pop for a while. Nice!
I have seen a Dragon's Lair arcade game before, although it was well over 30 years ago. Never played it, though. I was more into Rastan at the time.
Videre videnda.