For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14296 Post by Bellhead »

HDMI to Garden Hose. Because why not?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14297 Post by Neutral Smith »

Who uses cables these days?

phpBB [video]
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14298 Post by Bellhead »

I REFUSE to use wireless crap for anything other than mobile phone and internet. Bluetooth headphones tick me off. Why should I have to charge something that isn't supposed to have a battery?

And wireless mouse and keyboard? Really? What are you, browsing from the other room or something?

[/rant]
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14299 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I am not fan of wireless stuff either. Security issues aside the quality you get out of cabled connections is way above what you can get with similarly priced wireless stuff. Cables internet is around 10 times faster than wifi and wired headsets have better fidelity for a way lower price.

That being said the market does love wireless. Nobody' liked airpods when they came out but now everyone has a pair even if not apple. In fact if it were up to them cellphones would be completely sealed and even charging would be wireless.

And a lot of people like wireless keyboards and mice as they can lay down on their bean bag couch while typing. I do understand the appeal but I can't see what I am typing from that far.

The only place where I prefer wireless is on controllers i still remember the first wireless controllers for the gamecube and honestly it is a much better experience than being tethered to the console or computer.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14300 Post by Bellhead »

I'd rather be tethered than have to worry about my batteries going dead at the wrong time, regardless of device.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14301 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Most common controllers nowadays have integrated rechargable batteries and let you know way in advance when you have a low charge. You only need 5 seconds to plug in,and you are good to go. Easily done in between matches.

That is a minor inconvenience, at least for me, compared to the liberty of movement and range they offer also the prevent some catastrophic scenarios in which the cable get entangled on someone/something and send the whole rig crashing to the ground. (Been there a couple of times)

unrelated but the the hdmi hose seems to be a rather common german joke/novelty toy
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14302 Post by Bellhead »

There's a solution to that. It's called long cords. Also not putting your console in a high-traffic area. These bits of wisdom have served me well.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14303 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well up until now most controllers used propietary connectors. So unless you wanted to take a crack at DIYing an extension you were stuck with the length the manufacturer decided it was most profitable.
On the other hand in my experience the longer the cable the higher the chance it has to get tangled in something and causing an accident specially if you don't have the possibility to put the console in a low traffic area.
However I may be biased: every time I had an incident with the cables it was because it got stuck in my arm or leg, didn't notice and tried to move. So now I am very wary of cabled controllers.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14304 Post by Bellhead »

Half the battle of using a corded device is managing the cord. Takes practice, but it's second nature to me now.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster

#14305 Post by Neutral Smith »

I also have a strong dislike for wireless.

I also have won the battle with my network.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14306 Post by Bellhead »

/me swoons.

Such clean. Very organize.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14307 Post by Technic[Bot] »

You keep networking and breakers on the same room?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster

#14308 Post by Neutral Smith »

Europe/the Netherlands are a bit different.

Yes. Two bedroom apartment, 4 double network outlets in the rooms grey cables going to patch panel on the right and 3 COAX/network combo outlets, I used to have cable TV, now everything is IP-TV green cables), and all the pipes come together in the meter closet (gas meter, electricity meter, water meter)/distribution closet (all the circuit breakers for the various rooms and energy consuming appliances)

Orange and red patch cables are for network things, green is for TV, blue is for VOIP phone, yellow is for a monitoring device, and purple is for the NAS (which only has 2 ports)

I could start a 'show your home' topic, it would be interesting to see how other 'normal' people live, but that means I have to clean a little. It's a mess.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14309 Post by Bellhead »

I've typically just considered "the cables are not in front of the computer" as my baseline for neatness. Nightmare to reorganize, but I don't usually move anything, so my setup is just a giant puzzle box that falls apart when you mess with it.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14310 Post by Technic[Bot] »

My home wiring is nothing to write home about *
Spoiler!
Yep completely exposed the 120 AC main and that is one of the cleanest installations i have had. This is the first time i have had breakers i was used to resistive fuses. And all network i have is wireless. Do not really like it but the modem is on a not very accessible location, not for wired connection anyways.

Also I had not notices the Pi on the meter closet. I have always wanted an Network Attached Storage at home but i had never gotten around to install it. By the way do all houses in the Netherlands come with a NAS and a Pi or that was something you set up?

*That sounded much better in my head...

All this talk about wiring reminded me of a friend. He is a telecom engineer and we occasionally trade pics of beautiful data centers.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide