Comic for August 29, 2020: Knock Knock

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Welsh halfwit
Citizen

Re: Comic for August 29, 2020: Knock Knock

#16 Post by Welsh halfwit »

I'm convinced that, when it comes to Clovis, Tom's being Saki with us... :twisted:
Corp Davidstow. Don't mess with the mouse.

Combak
Citizen

#17 Post by Combak »

Welsh halfwit wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:41 am I'm convinced that, when it comes to Clovis, Tom's being Saki with us... :twisted:
* Googles that *
* Sees one of the results is “The Chronicles of Clovis” *
Well then.

Welsh halfwit
Citizen

#18 Post by Welsh halfwit »

Combak wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:59 pm
Welsh halfwit wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:41 am I'm convinced that, when it comes to Clovis, Tom's being Saki with us... :twisted:
* Googles that *
* Sees one of the results is “The Chronicles of Clovis” *
Well then.
Exactly that. Clovis is Saki's mischief maker extraordinaire.

Here's a small scale one of his, when he's sent to an Aunt he doesn't like.

The Stampeding of Lady Bastable.

http://eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/U ... aLad.shtml
Corp Davidstow. Don't mess with the mouse.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:44 am
aitaituo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:06 am Clovis would know from the fake Templar attack that he organized, but it's a good point that the manor is an obvious high profile target for valuable magic. It's likely, if not indisputable, that Clovis learned from the Master Seer that Trace is a weakened amnesiac.
I think it'd be more accurate to describe Trace as 'strong but unskilled' in his current, amnesiac state. And all that is guaranteed to go out the window the moment Clovis and his cronies look at Flora the wrong way.
Which does raise another question. Just what does the amulet/talisman he got from Brahn do? If it can successfully reverse/fight off the magic of a dragon (as some people have speculated), it could completely nullify any advantage Evil Magic Trace can bring.
If I remember correctly up to the incident in Edinmire, Trace had basically fallen of the face of the earth to the point Brahn had started calling himself grand Templar and still does. On the other hand Mr Brahn also seemed interested in drawing Trace out of the shadows so he suspected he was still around. In any case after the attack fallout no one told them were Trace went, nor who he is accompanied with. Yet with those two level of involvement I doubt that would be very hard to find out. I suspect half the town guard does not really answer to Keiren anymore.

But I digress, it is possible Clovis thing the manor is empty and thus decided to attack it if simply to stick it up to Nora,, The manor was enchanted by herself, and steal all valuable goodies inside. But as you point out it is also likely he may also know Trace and co are inside and hopes to turn a tidy profit by delivering his head to Brahn and Sythe's head to the wolves all while saving his capture men to make sure they do not talk. I also suspect that he care more about them than he lets on.

So he is probably riding the high of his shiny new magical trinket and decided to attack the manor now that security seems more lax than usual to loot everything, and everyone inside, feeling that he can conquer anything even Trace himself. He probably has no idea that the necromancy started and that he should probably just extract his men as fast as possible and leave. His new pendant might give him protection and a figthing chance against the party and the mano, but Trace is not only capable in both normal and dragon magic, Dark!Trace uses necromancy which might more than Clovis bargained from.

By the way is he alone? I remember he had a complete raiding party outside the state. Makes me wonder if the brooch works only on him or if cant protect more than one person against Noras curses.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Eclipse
Templar Master

#20 Post by Eclipse »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:44 am Which does raise another question. Just what does the amulet/talisman he got from Brahn do? If it can successfully reverse/fight off the magic of a dragon (as some people have speculated), it could completely nullify any advantage Evil Magic Trace can bring.
I'm actually kind of wondering if there's something about what he did to the amulet that he's not telling Clovis. I have a sneaking suspicion that Clovis is eventually going to end up allying with Trace when all's said and done (Clovis and his gender problems would fit in pretty well along with Trace and his merry band of weirdo misfits, aside from him being the "Prince of Greed", but he could potentially shed that reputation through character development), and the catalyst to that could be Brahn betraying Clovis. I could see it happening, the Templar probably just see Clovis and his men as a means to help capture Trace and he'd probably just get rid of them too, after all to them they're "filthy Keidran". Maybe Brahn and his men secretly put a curse on the amulet or something to backstab Clovis and take both Trace and the wolves out.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#21 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:47 pm
tony1695 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:44 am Which does raise another question. Just what does the amulet/talisman he got from Brahn do? If it can successfully reverse/fight off the magic of a dragon (as some people have speculated), it could completely nullify any advantage Evil Magic Trace can bring.
I'm actually kind of wondering if there's something about what he did to the amulet that he's not telling Clovis. I have a sneaking suspicion that Clovis is eventually going to end up allying with Trace when all's said and done (Clovis and his gender problems would fit in pretty well along with Trace and his merry band of weirdo misfits, aside from him being the "Prince of Greed", but he could potentially shed that reputation through character development), and the catalyst to that could be Brahn betraying Clovis. I could see it happening, the Templar probably just see Clovis and his men as a means to help capture Trace and he'd probably just get rid of them too, after all to them they're "filthy Keidran". Maybe Brahn and his men secretly put a curse on the amulet or something to backstab Clovis and take both Trace and the wolves out.
Branh seems like the kind of megalomaniac that values himself so highly that he would not break his own word. Yet again he also had a human city attacked because it helped his plan so he is definitely the pragmatic kind of supervillain. That being said it would be a bit foolish giving Clovis, a crimelord, such a powerful tool without a couple additions to keep him from using it against Brahn or is plans. I imagine it would be trivial to make the Brooch blow Clovis to kingdom come if were he to do anything that displeased Brahn or got in the way of his plans. In any case i believe the pendant will be a non-issue by the end of the chapter, it will either be lost with the Manor or destroyed in some way mid fight.

I also believe Clovis will end up on the "good guys" side. My theory goes that after getting his posse massacred in the manor and his incredibly powerful pendant reduced to a worthless trinket. He will realize he cares more for his men that he believed, specially Brutus, and will then try to undo some of the evil he has created. Also at that point he would be a loose end for Brahn so it is not like he would have much of a choice
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Eclipse
Templar Master

#22 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:12 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:47 pm I'm actually kind of wondering if there's something about what he did to the amulet that he's not telling Clovis. I have a sneaking suspicion that Clovis is eventually going to end up allying with Trace when all's said and done (Clovis and his gender problems would fit in pretty well along with Trace and his merry band of weirdo misfits, aside from him being the "Prince of Greed", but he could potentially shed that reputation through character development), and the catalyst to that could be Brahn betraying Clovis. I could see it happening, the Templar probably just see Clovis and his men as a means to help capture Trace and he'd probably just get rid of them too, after all to them they're "filthy Keidran". Maybe Brahn and his men secretly put a curse on the amulet or something to backstab Clovis and take both Trace and the wolves out.
Branh seems like the kind of megalomaniac that values himself so highly that he would not break his own word. Yet again he also had a human city attacked because it helped his plan so he is definitely the pragmatic kind of supervillain. That being said it would be a bit foolish giving Clovis, a crimelord, such a powerful tool without a couple additions to keep him from using it against Brahn or is plans. I imagine it would be trivial to make the Brooch blow Clovis to kingdom come if were he to do anything that displeased Brahn or got in the way of his plans. In any case i believe the pendant will be a non-issue by the end of the chapter, it will either be lost with the Manor or destroyed in some way mid fight.

I also believe Clovis will end up on the "good guys" side. My theory goes that after getting his posse massacred in the manor and his incredibly powerful pendant reduced to a worthless trinket. He will realize he cares more for his men that he believed, specially Brutus, and will then try to undo some of the evil he has created. Also at that point he would be a loose end for Brahn so it is not like he would have much of a choice
I was just thinking that he probably doesn't want to give Clovis free reign with that amulet, an unchained Clovis with that much power is very dangerous for Brahn, as well as pretty much everyone else. He has to have put some kind of limitation on it to keep Clovis in line.

Interesting that you think Clovis cares about his men. If so, I expect he'll want to reconcile with Natani and Zen as well, seeing as they used to work for him.

Rafe
Council Member

#23 Post by Rafe »

Clovis might not be pure evil (he'd not be a very interesting character if he was), but judging by the way he runs his criminal empire, he is very cruel and sadistic. Judging by the underlings he chooses and the instructions he gives them, he not only inflicts pain and fear on others as a practical way of getting what he wants, he positively enoys it. Having the wolves attack Edinmire and having no problem targeting, rather specifically, I might add, Adira and Maeve was one example. And of course Carver was just fine watching group B slowly die of asphysiation. Both times Clovis' name came up, and his henchmen mentioned that with their actions they wished to please Clovis.

So I don't see Clovis ever redeeming himself. If he shifts his alliances or sees a threat or opportunity, he might end up helping the "good guys", but only because he standss to profit from it. There's always the chance some deep, dark secret might be revealed, but barring the extraordinary, I don't see it.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#24 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:23 am -snip-

I was just thinking that he probably doesn't want to give Clovis free reign with that amulet, an unchained Clovis with that much power is very dangerous for Brahn, as well as pretty much everyone else. He has to have put some kind of limitation on it to keep Clovis in line.

Interesting that you think Clovis cares about his men. If so, I expect he'll want to reconcile with Natani and Zen as well, seeing as they used to work for him.
Yeah just giving him that without anything to keep him in check is not a good idea...

I am not suggesting that he sees his men as family or something like that but I do believe he cares more than he is aware of. I think that in this chapter he will have to choose between escaping or saving Brutus. Much to his own surprise he will choose the latter. He will later question his choice. It was not Nora's curse, since the Brooch fixed that, so why does he care about Brutus? This will prompt a change of heart on him and make him question his motivations that we will get too see in the next 10 years or something.
Or maybe I am simply overthinking this too much and he is simply a Son of a [explicit?] who does not give a damn about anyone else and will be forcibly removed from the comic before the chapter ends.

Also If I remember correctly they did not work for Clovis in as much as he was blackmailing them.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#25 Post by tony1695 »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:23 am
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it turns out the amulet can be used as a slave collar with just the right word from Brahn. For that reason I hope Clovis gets out of this mess intact. A nice big helping of justice for all of his kin he's sold into slavery and worse.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Eclipse
Templar Master

#26 Post by Eclipse »

Rafe wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:36 am So I don't see Clovis ever redeeming himself. If he shifts his alliances or sees a threat or opportunity, he might end up helping the "good guys", but only because he standss to profit from it. There's always the chance some deep, dark secret might be revealed, but barring the extraordinary, I don't see it.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:59 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:23 am -snip-

Yeah just giving him that without anything to keep him in check is not a good idea...

I am not suggesting that he sees his men as family or something like that but I do believe he cares more than he is aware of. I think that in this chapter he will have to choose between escaping or saving Brutus. Much to his own surprise he will choose the latter. He will later question his choice. It was not Nora's curse, since the Brooch fixed that, so why does he care about Brutus? This will prompt a change of heart on him and make him question his motivations that we will get too see in the next 10 years or something.
Or maybe I am simply overthinking this too much and he is simply a Son of a [explicit?] who does not give a damn about anyone else and will be forcibly removed from the comic before the chapter ends.

Also If I remember correctly they did not work for Clovis in as much as he was blackmailing them.
Hmm, well it could go either way. If Brahn betrays him like I suspect, it would definitely benefit him more to side with Trace and he might simply choose to remain the same conniving [censored] he's always been. Or maybe being used and manipulated himself might make him rethink his motivations a bit and treat his partners better. Either way, I suspect he will in fact join Trace and over time he'll get some kind of character development that makes him less selfish and manipulative, he'll definitely need it at some point if he's going to become their ally.
tony1695 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:50 am
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it turns out the amulet can be used as a slave collar with just the right word from Brahn. For that reason I hope Clovis gets out of this mess intact. A nice big helping of justice for all of his kin he's sold into slavery and worse.
Oh yeah, that would do it, and that definitely seems like something the Templar would do. If that is the case, Trace and his friends might try to free him either because they take pity on his situation or they simply don't want him under Brahn's control.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#27 Post by tony1695 »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:50 am
Oh yeah, that would do it, and that definitely seems like something the Templar would do. If that is the case, Trace and his friends might try to free him either because they take pity on his situation or they simply don't want him under Brahn's control.
Taking control of Clovis would give the Templar control of all his assets and resources. That alone would be sufficient reason to get him out from under Brahn's control. And hey, if doing so aligns him with Trace and Friends, even if it's in a 'enemy of my enemy' manner, maybe it'd give the character a chance to develop and become at least a little sympathetic. Maybe.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Florence Ambrose

#28 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Am I the only one disappointed that Clovis didn’t enter with a “hello there”?

Wasted opportunity.

You’re welcome.
Mr. The master of Oats, master of Oats Canada and Canada Oats, in Oats, Canada.

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#29 Post by TheMouse »

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching that little prick get beat to a pulp. Kinda hoping either Natani or Zen gets the last kick in, though. Just for justice.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#30 Post by Eclipse »

tony1695 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:50 am
Taking control of Clovis would give the Templar control of all his assets and resources. That alone would be sufficient reason to get him out from under Brahn's control. And hey, if doing so aligns him with Trace and Friends, even if it's in a 'enemy of my enemy' manner, maybe it'd give the character a chance to develop and become at least a little sympathetic. Maybe.
Maybe, but Trace and co. wouldn't think about it in that way. They'd probably do so more because they're disgusted by the idea of slavery and using Clovis as a glorified attack dog moreso than what he could offer them as an ally, that would be an ancillary benefit. Maybe Clovis would initially see it as an "enemy of my enemy" situation, but I doubt Trace and co. would.