Comic for August 22, 2020: Karen Clues In

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Comic for August 22, 2020: Karen Clues In

#1 Post by Eclipse »

Welp, cat's out of the bag now. inb4 Karen tells everyone else in the mansion. Poor Maren, once she gets freed from that necromancy ritual crystal thing, she's never going to hear the end of it from Karen.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

Re: Comic for August 22, 2020: Karen Clues In

#2 Post by CrRAR »

I can practically hear the crackling of the fire brazier as they poignantly discuss recent events. Karen gazing off into the dark where 'Maren' not long ago just stood. *grim silence*

...and yes, finally Karen is obviously thrilled at the idea of having a dog brethren-wolf-in-law, no doubt. *wedding bells* (...or are those.. collar bells?) :D :karen:
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Eclipse
Templar Master

#3 Post by Eclipse »

Also I just noticed that Maddie doesn't know what a hook up is. She is going to have a stroke when she finds out.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by CrRAR »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:29 am Also I just noticed that Maddie doesn't know what a hook up is. She is going to have a stroke when she finds out.
Yes, very foreign concept, Basitins after all only know the fairest and most organized way of all! Written and unwritten rule of Basitin sociology. Faaaacinating!

(holy crap, I also just realized Flora appears to be missing her stripes in that last panel there, obviously, Keith's explanation must have scared them right off of her.)
Fight the power!

Eclipse
Templar Master

#5 Post by Eclipse »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:53 am
Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:29 am Also I just noticed that Maddie doesn't know what a hook up is. She is going to have a stroke when she finds out.
Yes, very foreign concept, Basitins after all only know the fairest and most organized way of all! Written and unwritten rule of Basitin sociology. Faaaacinating!

(holy crap, I also just realized Flora appears to be missing her stripes in that last panel there, obviously, Keith's explanation must have scared them right off of her.)
I mean, of course it makes sense that she wouldn't because Basitin, I just missed the "whatever that means" part when I first read it. I was a little more concerned with getting this thread posted before someone else posts a duplicate than putting the whole page under a microscope and analyzing ever single detail. There's plenty of time for me to do that now that it's posted.

Speaking of analyzing things later, it's ironic that Karen thinks Maren is out of danger right now. She's arguably in more danger than if she was still in the Oasis Room.

MithrilCoyote
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#6 Post by MithrilCoyote »

the question is why Karen views Maren and Sythe hooking up as such an exciting thing. it seems a bit.. much for it to just be a case of "Maren really needed a date" or "they had some UST, glad they're dealing with it"

or is it just the response of a shipper who's OTP has finally occurred?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#7 Post by Bellhead »

MithrilCoyote wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am the question is why Karen views Maren and Sythe hooking up as such an exciting thing. it seems a bit.. much for it to just be a case of "Maren really needed a date" or "they had some UST, glad they're dealing with it"

Imma go with the latter. With a touch of the former. Maren's been... grumpy for years, presumably, and likely never really opened up to anyone, not even Trace, since whatever happened to her.

However, (from Karen's view) she managed to not only surpass her gruff exterior defenses and loosen up a bit, but has "spend the night" with a nice fluffy wolfy keidran, so she's looked past race. From Karen's perspective, it's a HUGE leap for her big sister. I'd be pretty stoked too, in that situation. Probably not to that degree, but still.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by CrRAR »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:09 am

I mean, of course it makes sense that she wouldn't because Basitin, I just missed the "whatever that means" part when I first read it. I was a little more concerned with getting this thread posted before someone else posts a duplicate than putting the whole page under a microscope and analyzing ever single detail. There's plenty of time for me to do that now that it's posted.
Best way that I can describe Maddie's level of maturity on the subject is the real life "wait till after marriage" for romance phenomenon. In both the lack of knowledge aspect and the eccentricities that type of imposed restraint precipitates. Age is a factor but I do think the structure of Basitin society and decency has more to do with it, though both points compound each other. The basic facts are known and there's plenty of desire but it is presented to them as taboo their entire life... and then wedding scheduled Basitin mating night comes and sparks fly and... things are learned. Maddie is sheltered living 1) as the king's daughter, and 2) just being a Basitin. 'Hook up' probably does not even exist in the social language let alone written or verbal lexicon of Basitins, and so, the nitty grittes of squishie bitties is most likely also beyond many of them initially... or at least a subject of keen discovery and abashedness. She does probably know they're going off to do something private, so the context def indicates along with the blush that she is aware of the implications, but maybe in a "They couldn't be going off to be doing... that... could they?"

That's why with Maddie as we met her was (and still here in the Oasis Room to this day) also using her profession as an easy excuse for more... personal pursuits. Chasing Keith... watching his courageousness in battle, writing letters with plenty of little hearts on them. Curiousness needs an outlet, no matter how hard the Basitins try to legislate out instincts, the masses maddies most likely find other ways to explore their nagging intuitions.

Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:29 am Speaking of analyzing things later, it's ironic that Karen thinks Maren is out of danger right now. She's arguably in more danger than if she was still in the Oasis Room.
Like the old saying goes, out of the frying pan and into the soul-stealing crystalline chrysalis.

(...or something)
Fight the power!

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by aitaituo »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:10 am
MithrilCoyote wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 am the question is why Karen views Maren and Sythe hooking up as such an exciting thing. it seems a bit.. much for it to just be a case of "Maren really needed a date" or "they had some UST, glad they're dealing with it"

Imma go with the latter. With a touch of the former. Maren's been... grumpy for years, presumably, and likely never really opened up to anyone, not even Trace, since whatever happened to her.

However, (from Karen's view) she managed to not only surpass her gruff exterior defenses and loosen up a bit, but has "spend the night" with a nice fluffy wolfy keidran, so she's looked past race. From Karen's perspective, it's a HUGE leap for her big sister. I'd be pretty stoked too, in that situation. Probably not to that degree, but still.
Maren was dating Trace months ago in what may or may not have been an entirely casual relationship? I can only see Karen being excited on the anti-racism angle, which is certainly plausible. She's always been pretty excited to have keidran style ears, so she's probably Flora's mirror image when it comes to fetishes.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#10 Post by Eclipse »

CrRAR wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:19 am

Best way that I can describe Maddie's level of maturity on the subject is the real life "wait till after marriage" for romance phenomenon. In both the lack of knowledge aspect and the eccentricities that type of imposed restraint precipitates. Age is a factor but I do think the structure of Basitin society and decency has more to do with it, though both points compound each other. The basic facts are known and there's plenty of desire but it is presented to them as taboo their entire life... and then wedding scheduled Basitin mating night comes and sparks fly and... things are learned. Maddie is sheltered living 1) as the king's daughter, and 2) just being a Basitin. 'Hook up' probably does not even exist in the social language let alone written or verbal lexicon of Basitins, and so, the nitty grittes of squishie bitties is most likely also beyond many of them initially... or at least a subject of keen discovery and abashedness. She does probably know they're going off to do something private, so the context def indicates along with the blush that she is aware of the implications, but maybe in a "They couldn't be going off to be doing... that... could they?"

That's why with Maddie as we met her was (and still here in the Oasis Room to this day) also using her profession as an easy excuse for more... personal pursuits. Chasing Keith... watching his courageousness in battle, writing letters with plenty of little hearts on them. Curiousness needs an outlet, no matter how hard the Basitins try to legislate out instincts, the masses maddies most likely find other ways to explore their nagging intuitions.
Yeah. The Basitin's puritanical approach towards sex has definitely made Maddie pretty naive. This isn't the first time she didn't pick up on two people sneaking away for casual sex.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by CrRAR »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:09 am
CrRAR wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:19 am

Yeah. The Basitin's puritanical approach towards sex has definitely made Maddie pretty naive. This isn't the first time she didn't pick up on two people sneaking away for casual sex.
Indeed, I think we've cracked it down to its simplest form. She didn't pick up on it because being Basitin means there normally wouldn't be a risk of that temptation or occurrence otherwise. It doesn't occur to you - as a Basitin - that you can sneak off to do such things at all. Sure there would be attraction just like other races, but even that is taboo, should be hidden and avoided at all costs; a social code that you don't act on feelings and save it for none other than the scheduled date and time. Only when the rules say they can. Explains Keith/Natani gravitating toward physical contests to supplant both of their circumspect approach to intimacy - Natani out of gender predicament and Keith coping by just falling back on his Basitin predispositions.

The extent of Maddie's level of obliviousness I think is articulated well by this page. It's evident Maddie hid under the bed, not to be pervy, but to sleep. The horror in her eyes indicates she knows what's happening, but purely did not expect it. She knew full well that it was Trace and Flora's room, but probably did not consider that they would be in there doing anything other than to sleep peacefully too. Thus, logically decided, a perfectly good place to rest undisturbed.
Fight the power!

Menke

#12 Post by Menke »

So... um... Am I the only one just now noticing that Karen's swimsuit is changing colors every other comic?

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#13 Post by tony1695 »

Menke wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:07 am So... um... Am I the only one just now noticing that Karen's swimsuit is changing colors every other comic?
No, it's been pointed out before, it's just secondary, a funny detail to the meat of the comic at the moment
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Warrl
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Warrl »

Menke wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:07 am So... um... Am I the only one just now noticing that Karen's swimsuit is changing colors every other comic?
Apparently you're the only one who hadn't noticed it already. :mrgrin:

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:10 am

We now Maren has been cold, mean and emotionally distant for years. What we probably do not know but Karen does, i do not think she is as dumb as she makes it out to be, is that she has been sad and lonely for a lot of time, she may be in her early 20's but acts more like a widowed granny. And seeing that she is opening herself and allowing some joy on her life even in this situation is a huge improvement. She is probably just happy about her sister and on top of that as Mr BellHead points out her exaggerate reaction is also part of her carefree personality.

Also. On any other story, movies, book or otherwise i would find the change in tone from: "how to use your wife best friend for necromancy experiments" to "My sister is finally gonna get some. yay!" a bit garish but. Considering the tone had been getting extremely dark over the last couple pages I welcome some lightheartedness for a change.

On a side note.
Mike has mentioned several times he feels more human than Keidran having lived among humans all his life. But he seems pretty casual about nudity. something I do not he could have learnt as a slave. Specially not as a non-sex slave to humans. I know that is just played for kicks and giggles but I think it would be a bit more in character if he kept his short whereas Evals decided to go with nothing.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide