Slicers?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Florence Ambrose

Slicers?

#1 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

So I'm looking into 3D printing, and I'm wondering if any of y'all could recommend a slicer to use. I don't really want to shell out for Simplify 3D, but idk if free ones are any good. Is slic3r any good? I see a lot of people using it. I also don't know if I want to get into an ecosystem like Autodesk or Makerbot.

Thanks,
TheMasterOfOats.

You’re welcome.
Mr. The master of Oats, master of Oats Canada and Canada Oats, in Oats, Canada.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Slicers?

#2 Post by Neutral Smith »

I use Cura, it's good enough for what I do with it.

https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura

There is plenty of information on how to use it to be found.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice

#3 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Thanks. Is Kiss Slicer any good? I feel like cura is kind of an ecosystem, being ultimaker and all that. But I will check out cura.

You’re welcome.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#4 Post by Neutral Smith »

TheMasterOfOats wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 pm Thanks. Is Kiss Slicer any good? I feel like cura is kind of an ecosystem, being ultimaker and all that. But I will check out cura.
I have no idea.
I set up Cura once, liked it, and never tried something else.

It's not an ecosystem for only Ultimaker printers, it's open source, and supports a long list of printers, and if it doesn't support yours you can put in the variables yourself.

I really need to blow the dust off of my Creality CR10S-pro, something broke in my car and I need a replacement, this thing :P
(but also need a new mount for my new e3d hotend (I go 'Petsfang'), other various things I can use with the printer, new case for a Raspberry Pi, Low Poly Vase... So many things)
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice

#5 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I downloaded it and sliced a model (I'm trying to print this: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d ... eel-115045) but I think I did something wrong because the wire won't stick to the plate and catches on the extruder. I don't have any pictures, but I'm printing on an Ender 3. Do you think I assembled it wrong? I clearly don't really know what I'm doing.

You’re welcome.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#6 Post by Technic[Bot] »

TheMasterOfOats wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:33 pm Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I downloaded it and sliced a model (I'm trying to print this: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d ... eel-115045) but I think I did something wrong because the wire won't stick to the plate and catches on the extruder. I don't have any pictures, but I'm printing on an Ender 3. Do you think I assembled it wrong? I clearly don't really know what I'm doing.
Ah the glory of consumer grade 3d printing! We truly love In the space age now.
As for your problem your printer might now have a heated bed hence thefilaments fails to stick to it. I suggest laying the printing bed with a layer of masking tape and then adding a coat of adhesive.A school grade adhesive stick should do the trick. Of possible try to decrease the extruder speed
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice

#7 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Thanks for the advice. It’s sticking to the plate now but it’s also clicking on the first few slices and when it clicks the whole tube kinda jerks to a new spot. It’s also smooshing around the glue I put down. Does that mean it’s pushing out too much or it’s too close to the plate?

Sorry to keep bugging you but I don’t know anybody else with a 3D printer and I don’t really trust YouTube for advice.

You’re welcome.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Technic[Bot] »

TheMasterOfOats wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:21 am Thanks for the advice. It’s sticking to the plate now but it’s also clicking on the first few slices and when it clicks the whole tube kinda jerks to a new spot. It’s also smooshing around the glue I put down. Does that mean it’s pushing out too much or it’s too close to the plate?

Sorry to keep bugging you but I don’t know anybody else with a 3D printer and I don’t really trust YouTube for advice.
Clicking like getting stuck on the bed?
You may have added to much glue or masking tape. You may need to recalibrate to provide appropriate clearance for the plastic to come out of the noozle and not stick to it.
Also 3d printing has an awesome online community you can trust most YouTube videos on the topic.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice

#9 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Oh ok. I caved and watched a few videos, and I think I got it working.

Thanks for all the help!

You’re welcome.

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#10 Post by puredeathly »

Hi!

As for slicers I can highly recommend cura for ease of use and great results with minimal setup and slic3r for advanced features (but slic3r requires *a lot* of setup and tuning for good prints but once you got it it's pretty amazing and always gets the new fancy features first ^^).
As for the clicking (should this still be a problem) this just sounds like the build plate is too high up so your extruder presses against it for the first layers.

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice

#11 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

I tried levelling the build plate but all the videos I watched said “business card height” but that only lasts for a few prints then it stops sticking again. What does “some resistance” even mean? Do you have a guide you prefer?

Man, 3-D printing is super difficult.

You’re welcome.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Usually most 3d printers, at least the ones I used, come with their own calibration card. It is sufficiently rigid to outlast the machine itself and I usually see it getting lost before.
Unfortunately since they have a lot of moving parts even most high grade models tend to decalibrate over time. You will need to recalibrate then. Also the glue trick always worked for me just keep it as a think layer. Or maybe your nozzle is too cold.

Happy printing!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice

#13 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Ok, I’ll try that and increasing the temperature.

You’re welcome.

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice

#14 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:41 am Or maybe your nozzle is too cold.
It worked! I increased the temperature to 190 degrees Celsius and it’s printing just fine now.

You’re welcome.