Comic for June 27, 2020: The Painting Pt. 2

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Comic for June 27, 2020: The Painting Pt. 2

#1 Post by Eclipse »

Well, this is definitely an interesting development. So now that just begs the question: who IS the Rose they've been talking to? Guess we'll find out now that she conveniently decided to show up.

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

Re: Comic for June 27, 2020: The Painting Pt. 2

#2 Post by Foxx Trotter »

I guess we'll find out soon enough, won't we?
Videre videnda.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3 Post by tony1695 »

Well, we all knew something was off with Rose. Though I can't imagine that Saria was okay with Trace doing whatever he did.

Also, wasn't Flora illiterate, or did she pick up enough on the naval voyage to the Basitin Isles? Or am I just misremembering?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

leinglo
Traveler

#4 Post by leinglo »

This answers the question of how Rose has lived for so long. She kinda...hasn't.

My guess is Evil Trace had no intention of letting his last connection to Saria rest in peace.

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#5 Post by Elemental Templar »

HOLY COW!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

My head-canon was that rose was a ghost bound to the estate by Trace, and it looks like it's actually true.

And now I'm thinking that since Rose died three years after Saria, maybe she was used as one of Traces' "Resurrection Experiments" while he was in his paranoid isolation but was only able to bind her soul; therefore, realizing that he needed a living vessel he finally overthrew the original Templar order and with his inner circle working on his plans to wipe out the keidran and basitans, he started "dating" Maren.

God, Tom is not holding back when it comes to the Dark moments in this chapter.

AND I LOVE IT!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

Eclipse
Templar Master

#6 Post by Eclipse »

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the current Rose being some sort of magical remnant kept by Trace as well. Although I do have to wonder just how loyal she is to Old Trace. I mean, she thought about killing him when her restrictions were removed. So it's difficult to tell what her motives actually are. That being said, I do think she has something to do with what's going on in the Estate now and whatever she's up to doesn't sound good. And now she has full control over the Estate. Well Trace, you may have inadvertently screwed yourself here.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#7 Post by Cosmacelf »

So Rose was 26 when she died. Normal old age death for Keidren?

And I like the hesitation when she added “master”....

Rose is definitely up to something. She didn’t pop up before when Trace called her. http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1100/

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#8 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZ2NShfCE8
This is the only thing that comes to my mind.

This is the first time I got scared by the comic. :(
Knowing what he tried to achive for Saria. Later thought about for Flora.
I wonder if its the house manifistation that keeps saria alive, Maybe she IS the estate???!!!
Wait... How do Echure be alive after Rose. Is he the key ?
Perhaps theres alot of backstory for Trace we arent aware of?
I wonder if my theory about it being a loop is not as far fetched.
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

Hayate
The Hidden User

#9 Post by Hayate »

Welp, I’m scared. I think Twokinds is officially a horror movie now...
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#10 Post by CrRAR »

Time for a disturbing tour of the room next door. Lesssss GO!

*KeithCameraNeat!.gif*
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#11 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Well, that's certainly a thing. I half expected this, or at least something like this, but it's still a rather ominous way to have it confirmed to say the least.

So Rose actually died two years ago at the age of 26 (it's currently the year 482), but despite being dead isn't actually gone. We know that ghosts exist in the twokinds universe, and that characters know that ghosts can be a thing, but I'm still imagining that this isn't exactly your typical ghost scenario. I still think that the speculation I had in that post fits - that Trace couldn't bear to let this last piece of Saria go, and so when she died he trapped her spirit (whether or not her actual physical body is still around), possibly as part of his research into defying death.

On another note, I went back and looked at all of Rose's appearances since her reintroduction to see if anything jumped out at me in light of this new revelation, and a few things came to mind. First, when Rose's shackles were first lifted and we were reacting to that whole revelation, I commented that Rose's reaction in comic 1033 kinda struck me as being odd. Now that we had had some kind of hint that Trace had actually perhaps done something horrible to her, her reaction to Trace's innocently-offered "If I ever hurt you, I'm sorry" apology seemed to me to suggest she might have been reacting to something she knew about him having done that he didn't. And now, of course, that's confirmed. In that comic trace innocently offers to apologize for anything he did... not realizing that he was actually apologizing for literal necromancy (and probably mind control too) inflicted on his late wife's best friend. Talk about harsher in hindsight!

Second, way back in comic 988, the characters are eating breakfast and Trace invites Rose to join them. She looks rather perturbed at this, and her rather hesitant response is "I... can't." She immediately follows this by saying she's got other work to do, but given today's comic there is of course a much simpler reason - she's a ghost/projection/whatever, she literally can't eat. I don't know if anyone picked up on this at the time, and without the benefit of hindsight it's a rather subtle clue, but it's still there. And along similar lines to what I was commenting above regarding Rose's reaction to Trace's apology, her reaction here seems almost *too* strong. Again, it's pretty subtle, and perhaps I'm reading more into it in hindsight than I should be, but her expression feels almost *too* shocked for the mundane context. Yes, it's a shockingly informal thing for a master to say to a servant in such a straitlaced social environment, but in hindsight, whoooof. Knowing what we know now, look at that from Rose's perspective. She doesn't realize yet that Trace has lost his memories. As far as she knows, he's still fully aware of what he'd done to her. And so, from her point of view, he's just invited her to dine with them... while (she thinks) knowing full well that she is literally incapable of it because he's the one who enslaved her soul after she died. If it had actually been done on purpose, that would have been an incredibly cruel and sadistic taunt fully worthy of old!Trace at his nastiest. And she can't even say anything in response because that oh-so-innocent invitation had been given in front of others who weren't in on the secret, so all she can do is give a lame excuse for the benefit of those others, again knowing (or thinking she knows) that Trace is laughing cruelly at her the whole time behind those innocent-looking eyes. In hindsight, that one scene speaks volumes about either Rose's self-control or the strength of whatever control spells Trace had on her!

And finally, Rose and Euchre. Does Euchre know?!? If it were any other context I'd say that a mage as skilled as Euchre would almost *have* to be able to tell, but if anything is going to be able to fool him it's the magic of the Estate that was enchanted by both Trace *and* Nora. His dialog in those two strips gives no clue he knows, but on the other hand we know he's a chessmaster of the deepest dye. His words say what he wants them to say. And yet... he says it's good to see her "after so long". He expresses concern for *her*. He strongly implies he doesn't know what secrets the Estate holds. If he's not lying, if we take those on face value, they'd seem to me to fit best with him *not* knowing. If he'd truly hadn't seen her in a long time (whether that simply means a few years or literally since her capture) would Trace have told him? I doubt it. Would he express concern for her as if he thought she *wasn't* already in about the worst situation imaginable if he knew? I don't think we've seen the last of him. I think he might even show up again this chapter - it's not like whatever is going on with the mansion is *subtle* in the slightest, after all - and if he does, what would his reaction be? We know he's always had his own game in some mysterious sense, and that he's at least a little remorseful for some of what he's done. How would he react to knowing what Trace did to his cousin?

Anyway, whoof. This is a hell of a page.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#12 Post by CrRAR »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:53 am I don't know if anyone picked up on this at the time, and without the benefit of hindsight it's a rather subtle clue, but it's still there. And along similar lines to what I was commenting above regarding Rose's reaction to Trace's apology, her reaction here seems almost *too* strong. Again, it's pretty subtle, and perhaps I'm reading more into it in hindsight than I should be, but her expression feels almost *too* shocked for the mundane context.
Yes, yes! Me! *raises hand* Here.

What I think upset DarkTrace possibly at unlimiting Rose now with this revelation is what Rose may not have known before being granted full access. She may very well have learned the full details of her existence, hence why she seemed SUDDENLY so irate, possibly learning in a flash that she died some time ago and that her life currently is artificial to serve an endless shift as caretaker of the estate. She may have somehow been kept blissfully unaware of her predicament, maybe through some mental fog, like the magic afflicting Maddie/Karen about remembering what's in the room. Like anytime she were to try and remember 'why?' or 'how long?' she still exists she would conveniently just... not remember... and "Oh, bother, there's so much work to be done." returning to loyal servitude for the love and memory of Saria, yadaa, yadaa. I suspect sudden knowledge of that would bring some pretty potent outrage and... demise arrangement.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

MatyMaty
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#13 Post by MatyMaty »

Whew, first post here but...

Rose is clearly undead of some kind, but I don't think she is a ghost. She is too physical and people have interacted with her in the past. Which makes me think she is either a resurrected corpse or a second Rose, created through magic after the original died. I think we can assume she is behind all what is happening in the manor, including the attack by the statues and the kidnapping of Maren. And it would seem maybe she is angry at Trace, but I don't think it is because of whatever Past Trace did to her.

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1032/

Here I always found Rose's reaction a bit strange. Like it had more behind of what she said. So, I'd think rather than being angry at Trace for doing whatever he did to her, she's angry at him not trying anymore to bring Saria back, to the point she will try to do it on her own, hence why Maren was kidnapped by the house.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#14 Post by Eclipse »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:53 am And finally, Rose and Euchre. Does Euchre know?!? If it were any other context I'd say that a mage as skilled as Euchre would almost *have* to be able to tell, but if anything is going to be able to fool him it's the magic of the Estate that was enchanted by both Trace *and* Nora. His dialog in those two strips gives no clue he knows, but on the other hand we know he's a chessmaster of the deepest dye. His words say what he wants them to say. And yet... he says it's good to see her "after so long". He expresses concern for *her*. He strongly implies he doesn't know what secrets the Estate holds. If he's not lying, if we take those on face value, they'd seem to me to fit best with him *not* knowing. If he'd truly hadn't seen her in a long time (whether that simply means a few years or literally since her capture) would Trace have told him? I doubt it. Would he express concern for her as if he thought she *wasn't* already in about the worst situation imaginable if he knew? I don't think we've seen the last of him. I think he might even show up again this chapter - it's not like whatever is going on with the mansion is *subtle* in the slightest, after all - and if he does, what would his reaction be? We know he's always had his own game in some mysterious sense, and that he's at least a little remorseful for some of what he's done. How would he react to knowing what Trace did to his cousin?
I was thinking about that too. If he knew what was going on, he wouldn't be talking like that to her. He'd probably act a lot more remorseful to her if he knew.
CrRAR wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:18 am What I think upset DarkTrace possibly at unlimiting Rose now with this revelation is what Rose may not have known before being granted full access. She may very well have learned the full details of her existence, hence why she seemed SUDDENLY so irate, possibly learning in a flash that she died some time ago and that her life currently is artificial to serve an endless shift as caretaker of the estate. She may have somehow been kept blissfully unaware of her predicament, maybe through some mental fog, like the magic afflicting Maddie/Karen about remembering what's in the room. Like anytime she were to try and remember 'why?' or 'how long?' she still exists she would conveniently just... not remember... and "Oh, bother, there's so much work to be done." returning to loyal servitude for the love and memory of Saria, yadaa, yadaa. I suspect sudden knowledge of that would bring some pretty potent outrage and... demise arrangement.
This is a very good point. Rose did act very different once Trace removed the restrictions, and we really haven't seen much of her from then until now, so maybe she did just find out herself.

Panther
Merchant

#15 Post by Panther »

So well , that's why Rose has removed the paint and hidden here as soon as the restrictions have been lifted . A question is : who has putted the date of death ? Probably the "old" Trace to torture Rose about it

This new event comforts my theory about Rose being the "thing" in the locked room : more a vegetative life with her brain be connected to the mansion , and declared officially dead . The visible Rose is a sort of solid manifestation , able to touch and carry things : http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/965/ (candle) .... http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/989/ (coffee pot)

Rose being now totally "free" ; she'll become a threat for the new Trace , or an help ? ................ :| :adira:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani: