The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Comic for June 13, 2020: Working Together

#1 Post by Bellhead »

Image(Click for sketch)

Huh. I guess Red's efforts have been paying off. Before all this happened, he never would have worked with a keidran, for any reason. Now he flat out suggested it, even after being lit on fire. He's come so far...

Now. That last panel has me worried. I think it's safe to assume that's Rose's silhouette, and the dark figure's tentacles... Has she actually been trapped? It does seem like something Old Trace would do...

And what's Detritus? Is that this thing's name? Or a spell of some kind?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic for June 13, 2020: Working Together

#2 Post by tony1695 »

"Detritus" is a fancy way of saying "debris", typically of the gravelly kind. Beyond that, I can't say just what it means here. A codeword to make the lizard statues stop? Or one that rebuilds them from any suitable material lying around?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#3 Post by Neutral Smith »

Rose could say '[censored]', but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detritus isn't caught by the swear filter I think.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#4 Post by Eclipse »

So the statues are being revived? Yeah, that's not good. Destroying that wall seems to be the only way they're getting out of this alive. Old Trace really did make this a murder room.

Rafe
Council Member

#5 Post by Rafe »

"Detritus" isn't usually used as a substitute for "dirt" or "filth". It has a meaning in biology along those lines, but that's not how it's used here.
"Detritus" is a word that has connotations of "junk", "leftovers", "useless things", stuff that is used up, no good anymore, as in "the room contained the detritus of his failed life".

The way I read that last panel, Rose may be in a room filled with some of evil Trace's possessions or past experiments.
The other vibe I get, which is much sadder, is that Rose is talking about herself, or that she is realizing what she has become or been turned into. Maybe it's the nursery or an adjacent room. Either way, she sounds depressed about it.

steelabjur
Council Member

#6 Post by steelabjur »

de·tri·tus
/dəˈtrīdəs/
noun
waste or debris of any kind.
"streets filled with rubble and detritus"
I think that comment was being directed toward to occupants of the room, Raine, Nat, etc. as they serve no purpose to the Maren plan.

The bottom left panel is really strong, with Red and Nat supporting each other, not only for Red's character as others have pointed out, but for the fact Nat understood enough to agree and even respond with "To-geh-ter" in Human so Red would understand that he did. Plus it being the Templar Washout and the Self-taught Mage making a stand together is a nice touch.

A rather dark and random thought came to me. Given what we now know about Saria's condition when she was killed, we know Trace wasn't able to save her, but what if he saved the baby somehow? What if the reason he sought out Maren wasn't because her physical appearance, but some biological component required for her to carry the child to term? I could see a part of Rose, grief stricken by the death of a friend she loved more than anyone, willingly conspiring with Evil!Trace to "save" Saria's child, seeing it as saving a part of Saria. We know the "Rose" we've been seeing isn't the "real" Rose, what if she's part of some type of "life support" for the baby?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#7 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So Tom is pulling the Thesaurus this time.

Interesting. According to the dictionary, and so people who read this in the future does not have to look it themselves. Detritus is basically debris, any loose material that comes from the disintegration of something else. To add my two-cents. In Spanish Detritus (o detrito como gusten) is whatever results from the decomposition of any solid into particles, so again basically the same thing: Debris.
Another thing that Etimological comes from the latin Detritus, yeah is basically latin, meaning worn-out.

So I think at this point there is not enough information to tell what Rose is taking about about now, probably Tom added the rather uncommon word to add some dramatic tension. However I think all of use were wondering what happend to Rose after the ritual triggered. Personally I doubt evil!Trace* would harm her, because if he succeds in bringing Saria back she would not be happy if Rose is not ok and even if he fails, well she is the last thing that reminded him of his dead wife. I imagine that by default the ritual simply removes Rose authority over the manor and places here somewhere she won't interfere nor get hurt.

And i was right they were not discount golems that crumble when defeated they seem to take more effor to destroy than simply a magic ray. Also on the the topic of magic attacks. What is Nat actually shooting them with? In some scenes it looks like water...
steelabjur wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:38 pm A rather dark and random thought came to me. Given what we now know about Saria's condition when she was killed, we know Trace wasn't able to save her, but what if he saved the baby somehow? What if the reason he sought out Maren wasn't because her physical appearance, but some biological component required for her to carry the child to term? I could see a part of Rose, grief stricken by the death of a friend she loved more than anyone, willingly conspiring with Evil!Trace to "save" Saria's child, seeing it as saving a part of Saria. We know the "Rose" we've been seeing isn't the "real" Rose, what if she's part of some type of "life support" for the baby?
I think someone did mention a couple pages back the possibility that Trace was on to some neo-natal necromancy. Personally I doubt it and hope not, this chapter is already dark enought as it is. And i do not think Rose will be willingly participant of this as she seemed to agree with Euchre that it was a bad idea to let Trace revert to his old self.

*Also can someone explain the A!B notation? I have seen it using when refering to old Trace on shipping and even Fire emblem but i do not really understand it.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by Bellhead »

Having read all this, I'm of the opinion that Detritus is referring to the group of statues, and that Trace chose that name for them after Stoneward was made. As in, "The Detritus will stop anyone from ruining my plans".

Thoughts?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

steelabjur
Council Member

#9 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:41 pm *Also can someone explain the A!B notation? I have seen it using when referring to old Trace on shipping and even Fire emblem but i do not really understand it.
From what I understand, it's just a quick way of referring to a specific version of a character, Evil!Trace, Male!Clovis, or Fem!Mike, for example.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#10 Post by Insomniac »

Nat and Red being side to side badasses! ...Also I hope Rose is dealing with her own problems/saving the day/getting ready to save the day, and not doing a shocking but inevitable betrayal.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Talancir
New Citizen

#11 Post by Talancir »

has anyone else put forward the headcanon idea that keidran is just another dialect of english, but the humans of the world are just too dumb to understand accents and slang?
Non nobis, Domine. Non nobis sed nomini tuo de gloriam.

SharkyNebula
Fav. Twokinds Character: Yeet

#12 Post by SharkyNebula »

"Everyone is actually an idiot" doesn't seem like a particularly immersive world-building decision.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by Bellhead »

Talancir wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:26 pm has anyone else put forward the headcanon idea that keidran is just another dialect of english, but the humans of the world are just too dumb to understand accents and slang?
Tom once said, in response to a similar question, the keidran languages (high keidran for nobility and such, and low keidran for everyone else) are made primarily of growl and grunt-type noises. How that would actually sound, I have no idea, but that's what I remember.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Warrl »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 amTom once said, in response to a similar question, the keidran languages (high keidran for nobility and such, and low keidran for everyone else) are made primarily of growl and grunt-type noises. How that would actually sound, I have no idea, but that's what I remember.
I don't like it. Obviously keidran can speak the human language(s) intelligibly, so why would their own language(s) be so limited? Also, humans can speak the keidran language(s) intelligibly...

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#15 Post by tony1695 »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 am Tom once said, in response to a similar question, the keidran languages (high keidran for nobility and such, and low keidran for everyone else) are made primarily of growl and grunt-type noises. How that would actually sound, I have no idea, but that's what I remember.
How old is that comment? Good chance that's been retconned (or quietly forgotten) if it was near the start of the comic.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD