Comic for May 9th, 2020: The Abandoned Nursery

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for May 9th, 2020: The Abandoned Nursery

#16 Post by Rafe »

There's an apocryphal story that the informal group of writers and intellectuals known as the 'Algonquin Roundtable' had challenged each other to see who could write the shortest short story. The winner was one already famous for his short, direct sentences - Earnest Hemmingway. Not only was it short, but it was so moving, it brought some people to tears. Here it is, six words long:

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn"

Kodyack
Fav. Twokinds Character: Greg Background

#17 Post by Kodyack »

I prefer this one:

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#18 Post by Yastreb »

After Trace had left, Saria's ghost was shown thinking "I couldn’t bear to burden you… With the memory of my passing…" She didn't even tell Trace she was actually dead, so it makes sense that she wouldn't have told that their child is also dead.

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#19 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

Tesla Foxtrot wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:03 pm Dear furball... Now thats one heck of a bombshell. :shock:

I never heard of the child rumor. Never ever thought of it as it would probably be hinted at. But reading thru seeing it was a theory on the forum... This is really deep.
Hopefully Flora can be the support he needs and he wont spiral down in to another episode of black magic.

I have no words.... :(
We're with you there. Hopefully Flora's shoulder to cry on and sweet reassurance that he'll be a father to her baby soon can help him; the pain of that loss is gonna come flooding back with that memory. Let's hope for now that that's all that comes back... :( :heart: :trace: :flora: :heart:

Chicken Man
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The pizza

#20 Post by Chicken Man »

Well... it wouldn't be a proper TwoKinds arc without Trace going guano. He was already feeling it a bit when he looked at Saria's portrait. It's been too long since Trace had bad mother shut your mouth moment.
I'll cross the road and cluck with you.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#21 Post by Insomniac »

Ooooooooh crumbs...Trace is really gonna need Flora to be his Raphtalia this time!
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#22 Post by Eclipse »

Insomniac wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 pm Ooooooooh crumbs...Trace is really gonna need Flora to be his Raphtalia this time!
His Raphtalia? New Trace is pro slavery?

Seriously though, I never really thought about the parallels between Trace x Flora and Naofumi x Raphtalia until now, but that's a pretty apt comparison. Both relationships involve the male being powerful figures with a dark power that could potentially corrupt them and the female being a loyal and dedicated partner keeping them grounded.

P.S. Raphtalia is best waifu of all time. Fight me.

Don't actually fight me, I'm just poking fun, not trolling/baiting. Plz don't ban me mods kthanxbai

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#23 Post by Insomniac »

Eclipse wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 am
Insomniac wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 pm Ooooooooh crumbs...Trace is really gonna need Flora to be his Raphtalia this time!

Seriously though, I never really thought about the parallels between Trace x Flora and Naofumi x Raphtalia until now, but that's a pretty apt comparison. Both relationships involve the male being powerful figures with a dark power that could potentially corrupt them and the female being a loyal and dedicated partner keeping them grounded.

No fight here, there's plenty of reasons why she was Crunchy Roll's best waifu of 2019!
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#24 Post by Technic[Bot] »

The only anime I saw last decade was JoJo anonly parts of a couple seasons. Having said that I am surprised I understood that reference.

However I am worried Trace may not accept Flora comfort or reassurance. He only believes she carries his child because he trusts her. If he regresses well old Trace has no reason to believe Flora is simply lying about it. And that situation wouldn't end well for Flora and the child
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Eclipse
Templar Master

#25 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:02 am

The only anime I saw last decade was JoJo anonly parts of a couple seasons. Having said that I am surprised I understood that reference.

However I am worried Trace may not accept Flora comfort or reassurance. He only believes she carries his child because he trusts her. If he regresses well old Trace has no reason to believe Flora is simply lying about it. And that situation wouldn't end well for Flora and the child
Hmm. Well, you may be right, Old Trace isn't exactly a huge fan of Keidran, so she could easily fail to snap him out of it. But IDK if comfort and reassurance is quite the right approach anyway. Old Trace is a murderous tyrant that wouldn't hesitate to kill her, IDK if she'd be crazy enough to just walk up to him and give him the warm fuzzies (she might, but if she knows that's not him she'd probably want to stay at arm's length). More likely, she'd try to reach New Trace and plead for him to regain control. This is kind of what Raphtalia does in Shield Hero anyway.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#26 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:57 pm Hmm. Well, you may be right, Old Trace isn't exactly a huge fan of Keidran, so she could easily fail to snap him out of it. But IDK if comfort and reassurance is quite the right approach anyway. Old Trace is a murderous tyrant that wouldn't hesitate to kill her, IDK if she'd be crazy enough to just walk up to him and give him the warm fuzzies (she might, but if she knows that's not him she'd probably want to stay at arm's length). More likely, she'd try to reach New Trace and plead for him to regain control. This is kind of what Raphtalia does in Shield Hero anyway.
I doubt that Old Trace would kill Flora. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but she's far too big of a part of his life for him to kill her. Any harm to her by his hand would likely crush any anger he had, anyway. I'll cite the Tower fight, where it was her scream, and hers alone, that brought out his bad side in the first place. And even after, his only real goal was her safety, by any means necessary.

Feel free to voice other opinions, but I'm far too deep in my own to change my mind. :roll:

That said, I feel that the emergence of his dark side is inevitable here, given what we just learned. I just think what happens after will show some serious internal struggle, possibly a flashback, and Flora helping him back. I'm more worried that what snaps him out will be him almost (if not) hurting her in some way and regretting it severely. Consequences of that would be.. absolutely horrible, by all accounts, at the very least.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#27 Post by tony1695 »

The thing is, we've seen two different bad sides of Trace.
The first is the one that started the whole mess the world is in, the genocidal madman messing with necromancy and who-knows-what other twisted magics.
The second we first saw, like stated above, when Flora was threatened at the Tower. Still murderous, still hateful, but that is all directed at protecting what he has. If he has to stand on a mountain of corpses to protect Flora then he will.

This current situation could go either way. Old Evil Trace reemerges, and nearly kills Flora. Or New Evil Trace reemerges, and attempts to reduce everyone that isn't him or Flora into so much chunky salsa.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#28 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:51 am This current situation could go either way. Old Evil Trace reemerges, and nearly kills Flora. Or New Evil Trace reemerges, and attempts to reduce everyone that isn't him or Flora into so much chunky salsa.
That's the thing, I don't think they ARE different. Old Trace was, presumably, only evil for having lost what he had. Now that Flora's involved, the situation is very much different, in that he doesn't have nothing anymore, he has her. Still lost a wife, and still feels for it, mind you, but he's not as alone as he was, nor as alone as Keith felt during the Laura's Ghost arc.

If anything, he'd be even more unstable about protecting her than Saria, in my opinion.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#29 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:23 am
tony1695 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:51 am This current situation could go either way. Old Evil Trace reemerges, and nearly kills Flora. Or New Evil Trace reemerges, and attempts to reduce everyone that isn't him or Flora into so much chunky salsa.
That's the thing, I don't think they ARE different. Old Trace was, presumably, only evil for having lost what he had. Now that Flora's involved, the situation is very much different, in that he doesn't have nothing anymore, he has her. Still lost a wife, and still feels for it, mind you, but he's not as alone as he was, nor as alone as Keith felt during the Laura's Ghost arc.

If anything, he'd be even more unstable about protecting her than Saria, in my opinion.
That is the think. For Old Trace Flora is little more than a filthy Keidran. Old Trace has no reason to believe the child she is expecting is his, because that goes against the very laws of nature the same he is very hellbent on twisting. So Old Trace might see Flora simply as someone who pretended to love him only for convenience and on the first chance she had went an sleept with someone else, despite all of this being false he has no way to know, in fact Old Trace has ample motives to doubt her. No someone to protect but a hindrance to remove.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#30 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:47 am That is the think. For Old Trace Flora is little more than a filthy Keidran. Old Trace has no reason to believe the child she is expecting is his, because that goes against the very laws of nature the same he is very hellbent on twisting. So Old Trace might see Flora simply as someone who pretended to love him only for convenience and on the first chance she had went an sleept with someone else, despite all of this being false he has no way to know, in fact Old Trace has ample motives to doubt her. No someone to protect but a hindrance to remove.
Respectfully disagree. Old Trace in his prime definitely would have killed her without a second thought, but even that side of him has changed. Insert tower reference again... which was, by all accounts, Evil Trace in control, and he had exactly one goal with zero restrictions.

The both of them, new AND old, have an insatiable desire to protect what they have, and go completely ballistic when it's threatened. New Trace just does it by being taken over.

Old Trace, evil as he was, still knows who Flora is, and (to some extent) shares New Trace's feelings for her. His old self back then? Not a second thought. Old self now? You'll die before you stand between them.