Comic for January 11, 2020: Liquid Courage Required

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for January 11, 2020: Liquid Courage Required

#31 Post by amenon »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:41 am And Maren just realized he was not wearing anything? Half the people at the pool weren't!
I think it's more Maren going from ignoring the fact that Sythe is nude to not ignoring it.

Relatedly, I don't think the implication here is necessarily that there is all that much for her to see at this point; I think Sythe's sentiment is basically 'So... [you're welcome to find out]', or 'you tell me.'

I do hope she doesn't hit the booze too hard. Or grabs something non-alcoholic, even, whether intentionally or not :P

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:10 pm Have there been any other clocks depicted in TwoKinds so far btw? Also have any months or days been specifically mentioned by name (e.g. "Monday" or "June"), or just seasons? I honestly can't remember, and I'm just curious.
"On the 28th of August, Year 482, [...]"

And Landen has the coffee cup that names days. (I think it's hit at least all of Monday - Thursday). Other than that, not that I recall, but my memory is far from fresh.

Could always argue translator convention if you want. I don't think it's really significant either way -- as people have noted, time divisions are inherently arbitrary. The thing I personally think would be cool would be a longer or shorter second. I think that might be more psychologically significant than other alterations. (But also it's not like there's any indication that the people in Twokinds are as inherently aware of the ticking of time as we tend to be with all our clocks and devices and relatively exact schedules.)
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#32 Post by SpottedKitty »

amenon wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:32 pm I do hope she doesn't hit the booze too hard. Or grabs something non-alcoholic, even, whether intentionally or not :P
With the state she's working herself into, she might end up "drunk" even if she does chug down something non-alcoholic... :shock:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#33 Post by Insomniac »

I can already see the fan made naughty comic version of this, and I like it. ...And there's about fifty ways it could go in the fan version that I don't like lol.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#34 Post by Yastreb »

Spoiler! nsfw
Concerning Keidran anatomy, I think their "equipement" must hang down instead of being in a sheath, otherwise we would see something here, in the bottom left panel to be exact.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#35 Post by AmigaDragon »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:10 pmIt's just a subtle background feature that is easily overlooked but adds to the worldbuilding and "foreignness" of Mekkan. Reminds me of this, where the "S" shaker has some black powder and the "P" shaker has some white powder.
Have there been any other clocks depicted in TwoKinds so far btw? Also have any months or days been specifically mentioned by name (e.g. "Monday" or "June"), or just seasons? I honestly can't remember, and I'm just curious. It would be nice if this time thing is done consistently, like every other clock we see in the future having 16 hour marks, and maybe some character randomly mentioning offhand "working 32 hours a day" or something. I dunno. Just some thoughts.
While it could have been white pepper and Mekkan salt might be black, it's also possible that Maddie just swapped the contents. Input from Tom would be very useful here on time. While 12/24 hour clock faces easily divide into 60 minute hours (5 minutes per hour mark) 16/32 does not. If the 16 hour clock face was intentional, a Mekkan hour might be 32, 48 or 64 minutes (with seconds following the same division per minute). There are reasons our day is divided into 24 hours and hours into 60 minutes but I'm not looking that up for discussion here. Mekkan would also have their reasons for their clock/calendar. A "local" RL example of differences would be the martian solar day of 24:39:35 (h:m:s) Earth hours and nearly 2 Earth-year year. Mekkan can be anything Tom decides for our Earth reference. I don't recall seeing any other clocks, nor calendars to identify the length of a week or month, just generic mentions of each time period.
I'm really happy for both Maren and Sythe here! I'm also really proud of Maren for sticking with this... it's clear that she really wants to go through with this, while at the same time feeling anxiety and apprehension.
Quite clear. Twice now Sythe has given her an out. She has already decided to do this but thinks she needs liquid courage to follow through.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#36 Post by CrRAR »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:10 pmHave there been any other clocks depicted in TwoKinds so far btw?
AmigaDragon wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:40 pm
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:10 pmIt's just a subtle background feature that is easily overlooked but adds to the worldbuilding and "foreignness" of Mekkan. Reminds me of this, where the "S" shaker has some black powder and the "P" shaker has some white powder.
Have there been any other clocks depicted in TwoKinds so far btw? Also have any months or days been specifically mentioned by name (e.g. "Monday" or "June"), or just seasons? I honestly can't remember, and I'm just curious. It would be nice if this time thing is done consistently, like every other clock we see in the future having 16 hour marks, and maybe some character randomly mentioning offhand "working 32 hours a day" or something. I dunno. Just some thoughts.
While it could have been white pepper and Mekkan salt might be black, it's also possible that Maddie just swapped the contents.
Ahh yes the old Palt and Sepper. Yeah, that was one of those things that was different for the sake of being different. Could have easily just have been Maddie too. Doesn’t help us with deliberating on the hours on the clock, on that topic, if we don’t get a dialog quip later about Sythe & Maren feeling like they’ve been in that room for ages then we’ll know ten years from now when there’s a thread about,”Heyyy you guys remember that clock that one time? What’s up with that!?”.

:grin:

Crap, I just remembered! The chapter cover has the clocktower! It’s “normal”. These two very well could be existing in a time all their own... to explore to their hearts' content. To quote Marty McFly, “Woah, that’s heavy Doc.”
(Inb4 Tom retcon, xD)

Are there any other shots of it throughout the recent chapters? The estate has been confirmed to have different weather at each wing (fall at one end, winter in others), whether through artificial manipulation, or perhaps time dilation it could be that certain sections of the estate have become unsynced with outside reality... much like Trace’s mental state as he descended into madness.

The master quite possibly inadvertantly made his own estate a reflection of himself. (;_;)
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#37 Post by Bellhead »

Yastreb wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:37 pm
Spoiler! nsfw
Concerning Keidran anatomy, I think their "equipement" must hang down instead of being in a sheath, otherwise we would see something here, in the bottom left panel to be exact.
Spoiler! NSFW
Possible, definitely possible. More likely just covered by crotch floof until needed. Remember the old sketch/drawing titled Nekkid Euchre? Or the early chapter covers with flora in motion, those had floof there too.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Bojack727
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#38 Post by Bojack727 »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:49 pm
Spoiler! nsfw
Also worth noting, Maren's expression is very much the typical "You gotta be kidding me", "what the heck is that" type reaction. Having never seen a keidran's before, I bet she's getting slightly terrified at the thought of it inside her.
Given her (prior) occupation, it's unlikely she was a virgin, but she doesn't seem like she's been "around", either. Sythe's name didn't even cross her mind, so it's likely she trusts him, and is simply nervous and/or afraid of the act. Her dedication to her decision remains to be seen, nor her true reason for accepting in the first place. She didn't even question her own decision to accept, either. Sure, she second-guessed herself half way to next week, but there wasn't any implication of it being a bad idea from her perspective. At least, not until she saw what he was packing. But even then, she didn't shy away with a "NOPE!", just a nervous "time for booze".

I think she's wanted this for a while, and doesn't want to lose the chance. She won't even consider backing out now, it's just a matter of how far she has to lose herself first. Probably not the best idea, but she's determined, I'll give her that.
Warrl wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm Maren is committed to this, but she can't yet admit it even to herself. If they're interrupted she'll say "thank goodness" and be severely disappointed.
I.. Well, I'm not sure. I bet she'd just blush, and run from being seen. But she'd still come back later. She's not the type to just leave it here. Heck, she might be the one propositioning him next time, if they get interrupted.
Tom has done a great job of developing the supporting characters. This is shown in how Maren goes from this harsh Ice Queen early on, to being this adorably shy/uncertain woman who's trying to come to grips with everything happening around and within her. And I personally love seeing her blush and be awkward!

Titanium Dragon
Traveler

#39 Post by Titanium Dragon »

Could be a mistake, too. It's quite the coincidence that Mekkan also uses a clock that spins twice a day.
Real world clocks rotating twice a day isn't coincidental, it's because of sundials. A sundial will go (most of the way) around once during daylight hours, which is roughly half the day, so when they built clocks, they had them go around twice a day.

The reason why we have 24 hours a day is because of the Ancient Egyptians; they had 10 hours during the day plus 2 "twilight hours" and 12 hours at night to balance out the daytime hours. Thus, 24 hours in total, both of 12 hours each.

Another world could well arrive at having clocks go around twice a day in the same way, but they might divide up the number of hours differently.

That said, it's entirely possible the number of marks on the clock is an error.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#40 Post by Yastreb »

Titanium Dragon wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 am
Could be a mistake, too. It's quite the coincidence that Mekkan also uses a clock that spins twice a day.
Real world clocks rotating twice a day isn't coincidental, it's because of sundials. A sundial will go (most of the way) around once during daylight hours, which is roughly half the day, so when they built clocks, they had them go around twice a day.

The reason why we have 24 hours a day is because of the Ancient Egyptians; they had 10 hours during the day plus 2 "twilight hours" and 12 hours at night to balance out the daytime hours. Thus, 24 hours in total, both of 12 hours each.

Another world could well arrive at having clocks go around twice a day in the same way, but they might divide up the number of hours differently.

That said, it's entirely possible the number of marks on the clock is an error.
Wasn't it that Egyptians had 12 hours for the day and 10 for the night, plus twilight hours? And as the lenght of night and day varied through the year the lenght of one hour varied to match it.

Another reason why clocks going twice a day is a good idea is that if you have 24 hours and want to divide each into 60 minutes (because 60 has so many factors) then you can have five minutes for each hour in the clock face instead of 2½. On the other hand, first mechanical clocks often didn't have a minute hand at all.

Here's an example of an early mechanical clock with only hour hand and it goes around once a day.

But yeah, since the chapter cover had a 12-hour clock face in it, this was likely a mistake. :( And I was just getting started.

EDIT: I just realized that sundial does NOT in fact go most of the way around during day, but it goes exactly 180 degrees per 12 hours and one full turn (althought you can't see it at night) in 24 hours.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#41 Post by CrRAR »

Yastreb wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:22 pmBut yeah, since the chapter cover had a 12-hour clock face in it, this was likely a mistake.
...but if it isn't, the flow of time in that room could be different from elsewhere.

"Room of ¾ths Time!"

"One of my many marvels.", Trace reflected, "...and yet nothing but another fleeting novelty!", he remarked to himself, growing frustrated, glancing over a room where the moments flow altered by his own metaphysical manipulation.

*clenching fist* "...and not good enough."

His voice echoed the empty corridors as he began trodding back, past the ever concerned gaze of Saria’s portrait, to the productive solitude of his study.
Fight the power!

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#42 Post by aitaituo »

Can't we explain this as Mekkan simply having...TwoKinds of clocks? 8)

imalbert
Master

#43 Post by imalbert »

CrRAR wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 pm "Room of ¾ths Time!"
Then Sythe should take Maren in his arms and waltz her around the room a few times.

Rather than trying to push the sex issue, Sythe should remember when Maren was combing Raine's fur and order up a grooming kit. This would give Maren the opportunity to be intimate without the immediate pressure to jump right into sex.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#44 Post by Bellhead »

imalbert wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:28 pm
Then Sythe should take Maren in his arms and waltz her around the room a few times.

Rather than trying to push the sex issue, Sythe should remember when Maren was combing Raine's fur and order up a grooming kit. This would give Maren the opportunity to be intimate without the immediate pressure to jump right into sex.
How has nobody suggested this yet? That's probably the single best idea yet!

...though, from my personal experience, it's easy to get absorbed in something that relaxing without being sexually or romantically intimate. She may get sidetracked, and brush the hours away, to only become regretful that it didn't amount to more. Or she could be happy bonding with Sythe on a personal level rather than a casual hookup, but that doesn't seem to be her intention here...

Or it could end up being quite the turn-on, with her in a bikini and him in even less... Good thing my seat in the perv shipping container is reserved.

But my point stands. Great idea, that either of them could lean either way. Might end up best if Sythe suggests it to calm Maren's nerves instead of booze. That seems like it would either work perfectly, or Maren would give some personal history telling why it wouldn't or couldn't work... :maren:
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#45 Post by CrRAR »

imalbert wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:28 pm
Start off with an elegant waltz, jitterbug for a bit, and finish up with the ‘ol horizontal mambo. Quality evening. :P

Bellhead wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:29 pm But my point stands. Great idea, that either of them could lean either way. Might end up best if Sythe suggests it to calm Maren's nerves instead of booze.
“N-no drinks!?

*Sythe pulls her in close for dancy time*

“Eep! If that thing so much as touches m- Getitaway getitawaygetitawaygetitaway!”

Next scene is Sythe trying to coax her down from on top of the wardrobe. :grin:
Fight the power!