Comic for December 14, 2019: Sythe Goes For It!

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for December 14, 2019: Sythe Goes For It!

#46 Post by Warrl »

It's entirely possible that the human attitude is that it's bad to get caught having sex with keidran... but as long as it's kept hush-hush it doesn't really count since there's no risk of pregnancy.

Or that sexually abusing a keidran slave - property that isn't allowed to say no - is OK because you're treating them as a thing, but fully consensual sex with a free keidran is bad because you're treating them as a person.

(Hey, for a long time OUR society had the attitude that women should come to the marriage bed as innocent virgins, but men should be experienced - and with women, not with other men. And that's just a small part of the hypocrisy.)

And that's possibilities for society as a whole. Possible attitudes for individuals range even wider.

Kyrit
Templar

#47 Post by Kyrit »

I think some people might not see the hints that Tom's been giving about Maren, or maybe I read far too much in to some things. Red gave us a bit of background on Maren's personality a good while back. Emotional one minute, distant the next. We see her yell about eating in the pool, followed up by going silent once again, looking away. My personal opinion is that most of the emotional things Maren yells out are what she knows people are expecting of her in the society she's grown up in. You're supposed to hate keidran, you're supposed to call them out for the animals that they are. I don't think that's actually what she feels though (in fact, I'd wager that the blush in panel 4 is her thinking that she would like to cut loose some time). It's a front she's put on after something bad happened at some point as kids, as Red tried to backpedal over by not finishing whatever name he'd started out saying.

If she does reject Sythe's offer it will probably start off heated before she simmers down and apologizes. Perhaps maybe if that does happen she'll go a bit deeper and we'll hear a bit more backstory about her.

I've actually been wondering ever since the hot spring if the dog Maren mentioned actually was a Keidran, and perhaps is the person Red almost spoke of. She'd purposely not elaborate on it if it's a sensitive topic. She does later explain that once upon a time she wanted to be a groomer, which does possibly indicate more toward the dog being an actual dog, but I could see a young kid wanting to be a Keidran groomer too just as much as someone might want to become a hairdresser when they grow up. The at least until... line also makes me think back toward the page where Red backpedaled. I don't think Maren was originally going to talk about her name. She probably almost opened up to Raine a bit before deciding she wasn't ready.

Like I said, maybe I'm reading in to what little hints of Maren's calmer side that we've seen too much, but at the end of the day Sythe knows Maren cares more than she lets on. He seems to be pretty good at reading people, and I'd like to see him be successful in at least getting her to spill her actual thoughts a bit.

Bojack727
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#48 Post by Bojack727 »

Kyrit wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:23 pm I think some people might not see the hints that Tom's been giving about Maren, or maybe I read far too much in to some things. Red gave us a bit of background on Maren's personality a good while back. Emotional one minute, distant the next. We see her yell about eating in the pool, followed up by going silent once again, looking away. My personal opinion is that most of the emotional things Maren yells out are what she knows people are expecting of her in the society she's grown up in. You're supposed to hate keidran, you're supposed to call them out for the animals that they are. I don't think that's actually what she feels though (in fact, I'd wager that the blush in panel 4 is her thinking that she would like to cut loose some time). It's a front she's put on after something bad happened at some point as kids, as Red tried to backpedal over by not finishing whatever name he'd started out saying.

If she does reject Sythe's offer it will probably start off heated before she simmers down and apologizes. Perhaps maybe if that does happen she'll go a bit deeper and we'll hear a bit more backstory about her.

Like I said, maybe I'm reading in to what little hints of Maren's calmer side that we've seen too much, but at the end of the day Sythe knows Maren cares more than she lets on. He seems to be pretty good at reading people, and I'd like to see him be successful in at least getting her to spill her actual thoughts a bit.
My take, regardless of my shipper instincts, is that Maren is uneasy with how comfortable she's come to feel around Sythe (and Keidran in general), to the point that she's trying to distance herself from him, likely because there's a part of her that IS attracted to him. Also, something tells me that she's also worried about the fact that his raw charisma and masculinity is wearing down her guard, combined with the fact that she doesn't seem to have much experience with being flirted with- regardless of species.

And for his part, Sythe's no fool, and I don't think he wouldn't make the offer if he didn't believe there was some chance that she might be receptive to it. I mean, he seems like the sort who would roll with whatever response she gave. That if she seemed uncomfortable, he'd say "Let's just go have dinner, and get to know each other better."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#49 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Personally I do not think Maren is as cold as they make her out to be. If that were the case she would have ran away long ago. Besides as someone already pointed out she fashioned herself as Trace girlfriend so I do not think she views casual sex in such a good light. Even if she did Sythe is not some random hunk she meet at a beach bar that she can have fun for the night and never see again. He is a fellow refugee and at this point dare i say friend? There are already feelings on the table, granted perhaps not romantic, but there is that to deal with.
But in any case I still believe that last panel is just happening inside Maren's imagination: Sythe was still meant to be an ambassador in human lands, before he was discretely sent t die thrice by now. So he has to know that the best way into her pants is definitely not casually proposing [censored] after the beach party. He has to know that humans have a more reserved view of sex and would act accordingly. Slowly talking his way and making sure there is some mutual interest before even considering proposing anything. Beside even if it has been hintedn, in and out of the comic that Maren may have some interest on our favorite fleabag. Sythe has never shown any.
Kyrit wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:23 pm I think some people might not see the hints that Tom's been giving about Maren, or maybe I read far too much in to some things. Red gave us a bit of background on Maren's personality a good while back. Emotional one minute, distant the next. We see her yell about eating in the pool, followed up by going silent once again, looking away. My personal opinion is that most of the emotional things Maren yells out are what she knows people are expecting of her in the society she's grown up in. You're supposed to hate keidran, you're supposed to call them out for the animals that they are. I don't think that's actually what she feels though (in fact, I'd wager that the blush in panel 4 is her thinking that she would like to cut loose some time). It's a front she's put on after something bad happened at some point as kids, as Red tried to backpedal over by not finishing whatever name he'd started out saying.

I've actually been wondering ever since the hot spring if the dog Maren mentioned actually was a Keidran, and perhaps is the person Red almost spoke of. She'd purposely not elaborate on it if it's a sensitive topic. She does later explain that once upon a time she wanted to be a groomer, which does possibly indicate more toward the dog being an actual dog, but I could see a young kid wanting to be a Keidran groomer too just as much as someone might want to become a hairdresser when they grow up. The at least until... line also makes me think back toward the page where Red backpedaled. I don't think Maren was originally going to talk about her name. She probably almost opened up to Raine a bit before deciding she wasn't ready.

Reading to much into the comic is what we all do here.
But your idea fits nicely into some of the comic messages,at least what i gather from my interpretation: Hate is rarely natural, it is mostly constructed or learned. Perhaps you have no real qualms about some other people but you have been taught that such people i A,B,C and D and thus you are supposed to hate them. Of course Tom also goes a by further by saying, if you put all your prejudices behind you and gave those people you hate a chance you may find you would not mind sharing your bed with them. Again that is my personal interpretation
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#50 Post by Cosmacelf »

Awesome analysis Kyrit. Those two scenes you linked to where people stopped themselves from recounting Maren's past (first Red, and then Maren herself), are pretty important. Now that you point it out, there is SOMETHING important that happened in Maren's past that caused her to give up grooming as a job, and to have a bipolar personality. It hints at something traumatic. She could have been raped, for instance.

Calling it here - maybe Maren's reaction will initially to be furious and then collapse into sobbing...

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#51 Post by BadJoke »

One of the best things in this comic is how the different couples featured all got together (or are in the way to) in different ways. TraceXFlora started after days of growing familiarity during a travel, RedXRaine with a clumsy but cute proposition, LynnXSealeen has burgeoned with a charming little discussion after a lucky meeting, Sah-VanXDaniels was supposed to be a mean bet but quickly became much more... now maybe SytheXMaren will start with a simple “wanna [censored]?”. It's adorable, shows the variety of personalities in the cast and also makes it all more realistic (every love story is unique).

And how can you make pizza noming look so cute damn it?!

...well, maybe we'll have a chance to see if Ephemural's spell does affect more than Flora and Trace. :)
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Rafe
Council Member

#52 Post by Rafe »

BadJoke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 pm One of the best things in this comic is how the different couples featured all got together (or are in the way to) in different ways. TraceXFlora started after days of growing familiarity during a travel, RedXRaine with a clumsy but cute proposition, LynnXSealeen has burgeoned with a charming little discussion after a lucky meeting, Sah-VanXDaniels was supposed to be a mean bet but quickly became much more... now maybe SytheXMaren will start with a simple “wanna [censored]?”. It's adorable, shows the variety of personalities in the cast and also makes it all more realistic (every love story is unique).

You left out probably the strangest and most moving of them all, Keith realizing he'd rather kill himself than hurt Natani, And Natani realizing that there was someone who could care that much for her.

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#53 Post by TheMouse »

Rafe wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:32 pm
BadJoke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 pm One of the best things in this comic is how the different couples featured all got together (or are in the way to) in different ways. TraceXFlora started after days of growing familiarity during a travel, RedXRaine with a clumsy but cute proposition, LynnXSealeen has burgeoned with a charming little discussion after a lucky meeting, Sah-VanXDaniels was supposed to be a mean bet but quickly became much more... now maybe SytheXMaren will start with a simple “wanna [censored]?”. It's adorable, shows the variety of personalities in the cast and also makes it all more realistic (every love story is unique).

You left out probably the strangest and most moving of them all, Keith realizing he'd rather kill himself than hurt Natani, And Natani realizing that there was someone who could care that much for her.
Also KatXZen between two people whose expectations for their future have been smashed. Having to adjust to strange new circumstances together can form a heck of a bond.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#54 Post by Cosmacelf »

Another Maren theory. Similar to Keith, Maren might have been jilted in love by a Keidren. Or unrequited love.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#55 Post by Yastreb »

I have always thought that it was about Maren's and Karen's mother dying. Maren is now 20 and Karen is 16 so Maren was at least 4 and possibly much older when their mother died. It must have been pretty traumatizing, especially since their father is also nowhere to be seen. Maybe Maren used to dream about becoming a groomer, but after she was left alone with Karen she had to start taking care of the inn.

amenon
Grand Templar

#56 Post by amenon »

TheMouse wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:58 am Also KatXZen between two people whose expectations for their future have been smashed. Having to adjust to strange new circumstances together can form a heck of a bond.
I just caught a brainwave related to this that I came to post, so I'm gonna bounce it off you even though I'm going to be a bit less charitable about it -- we haven't actually seen Kat show up at the beach, right, even though she said she was gonna? So what are the odds that the Sythe/Maren discussion is actually setting up a jump cut to Kat/Zen pity sex afterglow? 🤔

Sorry if I'm late to the party with speculation, I only checked this thread!
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#57 Post by aitaituo »

I just want to note that this appears to be the most active thread since March 24, 2018, when Euchre appeared as a projection to Rose.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#58 Post by Cosmacelf »

aitaituo wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 am I just want to note that this appears to be the most active thread since March 24, 2018, when Euchre appeared as a projection to Rose.
Well, a character propositioning another one for sex might tend to do that for a thread...

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#59 Post by Bellhead »

Cosmacelf wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:49 am
aitaituo wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 amI just want to note that this appears to be the most active thread since March 24, 2018, when Euchre appeared as a projection to Rose.
Well, a character propositioning another one for sex might tend to do that for a thread...
Jeez, way to make me feel old. Back before I left, we regularly had over 10 page discussions.

My how time flies...

Also, somebody made a compelling argument for this being Maren's imagination. That thought just popped back into my head, and now I'm mad about it. And scared it might be right.

I have never awaited a new page so anxiously...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

amenon
Grand Templar

#60 Post by amenon »

Also.

I thought it was about Nibbly, but I guess Sythe really was looking to nut :P

]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]: