Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves [Mature Content]

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

Re: Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves [Mature Content]

#406 Post by Dadrobit »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:37 am As i mentioned I have a very limited understanding of legal copyright.
I actually took a year of copyright law myself back in college, but alack and alas, this only qualifies me in the basics of how to not [censored] up my own legalities, does not qualify me as any kind of legal advisor, and certainly does not help me for copyright protection laws in countries outside of the USA. :mrgrin:

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#407 Post by Jonesy »

Hi, all! I know it's been a long time, but I thought I'd drop by and provide an update.

I've just finished my writing degree, and am about to begin job-hunting. In terms of H&L, my current plans for hit have been shaken up. I got some feedback on it as part of an event I attended at a writing conference, which involved a manuscript assessment by a published author. The author enjoyed what she read and thinks it has good potential, but informed me that the length will be an issue in terms of both chapters and overall size. As such, I am currently working on a new draft with shorter chapters (which isn't too big a deal - the chapters have been easy to split and adapt, even with the changes in perspective) and a more focused story. The end result will be even more removed from the original version, but I'm confident will actually work better than what I'd planned initially. I feel like the previous draft was still beholden to certain things just because it happened in the original story, so I'm now focused on telling an effective story without worrying about that. And it's not like the previous draft has gone to waste, since much of it will be recycled in some way. But I don't really have an expected time frame for when it will be done at this point, but I'll keep you posted.

That aside, I am also working on a new project which I will likely focus more on once H&L is finished. The novel is called Peacekeeper, and follows the first alien to enlist in the human military amidst an interstellar cold war. I've written the first three chapters as part of separate assessments (two of which have been subjects dedicated to working on a single creative work - such as a chapter novel - over the course of the semester). Feedback on it has been very positive from both my peers and tutors, and I'm confident that I'll be able to get it published when it's done. Again, I'll let you know what happens.

James Polymer
New Citizen

#408 Post by James Polymer »

Glory to the Masks, for he has returned! |D :grin: :mrgreen: :squirrel: :nora: :heart:

Seriously, though, thanks for the update, and congratulations on graduating! Hope the job search goes well. :)
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The mark of a truly wise man is that he acknowledges when he doesn't know @%$#." - Me

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#409 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Hi Mr Jonessy.
I couldn't get the idea that there was something I was still missing this year. And turns out it was hearing an update from you!
Good to hear you graduated and that you still working toward getting published.
And hope you find a good job.
Regards
Your number one fan from Mexico.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

backonninja
Citizen

#410 Post by backonninja »

Thanks for the update, and congratulations on graduating! Good luck with the job search.

I was wondering if there was a way that I could read the original version? I know you took it down due to copyright reasons, so I wouldn't share it without express permission?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#411 Post by Bellhead »

Me too. I know a couple people saved it for personal copies. I was hoping to wait until I could buy it, if not. Any idea when that would be?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#412 Post by Warrl »

I'm trying to decide if I'm missing a scene or not... maybe someone else with a copy can help out?

Just after Jakob gets bashed in the head, and after he chats with the guard at the humans' barricade, but before he gets to the governor's mansion - is there a scene in there?

Thanks

Jonesy
Templar Master

#413 Post by Jonesy »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:52 am Me too. I know a couple people saved it for personal copies. I was hoping to wait until I could buy it, if not. Any idea when that would be?
I'm aiming to have the current draft finished by the end of 2020. Considering I'm about a third of the way through already, I'm pretty confident it's doable. The main hurdle will be finding a publisher. I'd prefer to get it published professionally, but I'm keeping self-publishing (especially digitally) open as a backup.
backonninja wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:39 pm Thanks for the update, and congratulations on graduating! Good luck with the job search.

I was wondering if there was a way that I could read the original version? I know you took it down due to copyright reasons, so I wouldn't share it without express permission?
I know a few people have kept copies for personal use. And that's fine, as long as it remains that way. If you really want one you're welcome to send me a PM, but I'd rather not make a habit of giving it out. Probably wouldn't be a huge issue, since a lot of things are going to change at every stage of the story, but I'd rather play it safe - just look at what happened to the Salvation War.
Warrl wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:27 am I'm trying to decide if I'm missing a scene or not... maybe someone else with a copy can help out?

Just after Jakob gets bashed in the head, and after he chats with the guard at the humans' barricade, but before he gets to the governor's mansion - is there a scene in there?

Thanks
No, it doesn't sound like you're missing anything.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#414 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Jonesy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:32 am Hi, all! I know it's been a long time, but I thought I'd drop by and provide an update.

I've just finished my writing degree, and am about to begin job-hunting. In terms of H&L, my current plans for hit have been shaken up. I got some feedback on it as part of an event I attended at a writing conference, which involved a manuscript assessment by a published author. The author enjoyed what she read and thinks it has good potential, but informed me that the length will be an issue in terms of both chapters and overall size. As such, I am currently working on a new draft with shorter chapters (which isn't too big a deal - the chapters have been easy to split and adapt, even with the changes in perspective) and a more focused story. The end result will be even more removed from the original version, but I'm confident will actually work better than what I'd planned initially. I feel like the previous draft was still beholden to certain things just because it happened in the original story, so I'm now focused on telling an effective story without worrying about that. And it's not like the previous draft has gone to waste, since much of it will be recycled in some way. But I don't really have an expected time frame for when it will be done at this point, but I'll keep you posted.

That aside, I am also working on a new project which I will likely focus more on once H&L is finished. The novel is called Peacekeeper, and follows the first alien to enlist in the human military amidst an interstellar cold war. I've written the first three chapters as part of separate assessments (two of which have been subjects dedicated to working on a single creative work - such as a chapter novel - over the course of the semester). Feedback on it has been very positive from both my peers and tutors, and I'm confident that I'll be able to get it published when it's done. Again, I'll let you know what happens.
awesome :D
I look forward to reading your final version when it gets published :)

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#415 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

I've just been rereading Human & Lupusad.
Jonesy was kind enough to give me permission to copy and save the story to my computer before he took it offline.
A few weeks ago I just randomly decided to give it another read, and I just finished it a few minutes ago.
I really really love this book :heart: . Also it's very interesting these days with the Black Lives Matter movement and all the protests happening, the book suddenly takes on a whole new relevance.
Anyway, I just wanted to post how much I enjoyed reading (and now re-reading) this book! I really really hope Jonesy is able to get it edited and published!
It's a shame it's over now... I really want to keep reading about these characters I love so much and have gotten so invested into!
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Jonesy
Templar Master

#416 Post by Jonesy »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:12 am I've just been rereading Human & Lupusad.
Jonesy was kind enough to give me permission to copy and save the story to my computer before he took it offline.
A few weeks ago I just randomly decided to give it another read, and I just finished it a few minutes ago.
I really really love this book :heart: . Also it's very interesting these days with the Black Lives Matter movement and all the protests happening, the book suddenly takes on a whole new relevance.
Anyway, I just wanted to post how much I enjoyed reading (and now re-reading) this book! I really really hope Jonesy is able to get it edited and published!
It's a shame it's over now... I really want to keep reading about these characters I love so much and have gotten so invested into!
Glad to hear you enjoyed revisiting it! I do certainly feel as though it's not about to fall out of relevancy, unfortunately. But hopefully it can add another point of discussion to the wider conversation, if nothing else. Fiction can be an excellent lens to view our world through, even if our reality lacks wolf-people.

In any case, I was recently thinking about providing an update, so now's as good a time as any. The current draft is on the final stretch, as I'm currently well into the third act. With all the changes I've made, it's largely original, so you've got that to look forward to. I'm also very satisfied with the way other plot elements (original and reworked) have come together - some even surprised myself! I've been receiving feedback from a few other writers, which has been very positive so far, though I'll be revisiting the first chapter for a much-needed shakeup. But overall, I'm aiming to have the story ready to go to a publisher by the end of the year, though it'll likely be sooner. I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#417 Post by Dadrobit »

Jonesy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 am
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:12 am I've just been rereading Human & Lupusad.
Glad to hear you enjoyed revisiting it! I do certainly feel as though it's not about to fall out of relevancy, unfortunately. But hopefully it can add another point of discussion to the wider conversation, if nothing else. Fiction can be an excellent lens to view our world through, even if our reality lacks wolf-people.

In any case, I was recently thinking about providing an update, so now's as good a time as any. The current draft is on the final stretch, as I'm currently well into the third act. With all the changes I've made, it's largely original, so you've got that to look forward to. I'm also very satisfied with the way other plot elements (original and reworked) have come together - some even surprised myself! I've been receiving feedback from a few other writers, which has been very positive so far, though I'll be revisiting the first chapter for a much-needed shakeup. But overall, I'm aiming to have the story ready to go to a publisher by the end of the year, though it'll likely be sooner. I'll keep you all posted on what happens.
No kidding? I stumbled on my copy last night while I was cleaning my phone and started it up again as well! :mrgrin:

Only on chapter 3 so far and it's of course still got some of those early rough edges, but for anyone who didn't get to read it before, you should definitely look forward to Jonesy's full release; it's a treat to read overall!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#418 Post by Bellhead »

Arg. I wasn't active when he took it down. Now I can't wait for the full release, since I didn't get to finish the original, and I want to read it anyway, so I don't want to read the older version...

Gods this is frustrating...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

James Polymer
New Citizen

#419 Post by James Polymer »

Jonesy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 am Glad to hear you enjoyed revisiting it! I do certainly feel as though it's not about to fall out of relevancy, unfortunately. But hopefully it can add another point of discussion to the wider conversation, if nothing else. Fiction can be an excellent lens to view our world through, even if our reality lacks wolf-people.

My emotional journey upon reading this post: :o :) :D :mrgreen:

Seriously, it's great to see this wonderful story will be released soon! I didn't finish up the story before it was removed from the forum, but I'm fine with waiting on the updated version.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The mark of a truly wise man is that he acknowledges when he doesn't know @%$#." - Me

Jonesy
Templar Master

#420 Post by Jonesy »

Hi everyone! Hope you're all staying safe and sound these holidays. It's been a tough year for all of us, and I imagine this Christmas will be very different than usual. So, I wish you and your loved ones nothing but the best this holiday season, as well as for the new year.

Anyway, I thought it would be a good time to offer a quick update. I've 'finished' writing the first Human & Lupusad novel! But I'm not counting my chickens before they've hatched, as I'm awaiting some feedback from a couple of sources at the moment. There'll almost certainly be edits to be made, but I've been hearing positive things. As always, I'll keep you updated on any major developments.

In the meantime, I've been continuing work on Peacekeeper. I've actually revamped the first couple of chapters quite a bit, and I feel like they pack much more of a punch as a result. I doubt it'll be finished before H&L, but if you've enjoyed my work it'll give you something else to look forward to reading.

But in the meantime, I wish you all a merry Christmas and happy new year! And don't forget to wear a mask, wash your hands, and avoid licking doorknobs!