Comic For October 5, 2019: Lesson Over, Class Begun

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Comic For October 5, 2019: Lesson Over, Class Begun

#1 Post by Rafe »

I see a few things developing here:
Firstly, Rose really loves to demean Red, and I'm sure he'll always get the worst of it. I'm looking forward to more of this.
Second, with that "...potential indeed" comment, Rose is obviously telling us that Raine is a lot more powerful than she thought, and that she might keep that fact hidden from Raine for now.

Also, could those tiny yellow things on Raine's right arm be swimwear?
{EDIT}
Ah. Of all things a Brian Hyland song reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICkWjdQuK7Q&app=desktop
Good one, Tom.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Comic For October 5, 2019: Lesson Over, Class Begun

#2 Post by Neutral Smith »

I like where this is going. Subtle little hints about what could happen.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

greywolf
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#3 Post by greywolf »

Red tends to speak and act first and then think, this brings him all sorts of trouble. The yellow items do indeed appear to be beach cloths, I feel that is a good sign for team "let's see Raine in a bikini". :grin: :raine:

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by BadJoke »

Love of Rose is casually speaking about magical lobotomy and no one bats an eye beyond "Hey I'm concerned"... Nitpicking, I know, but I've always felt a bit uneasy about the relaxed way characters are shown acting around the most sinister application of magic without as much as batting an eye. Like in Harry Potter, where planting a living "punch your bones to paste" tree next to a school is never called out; nor is the practice of murderous blood sports as a regular festival (a living dragon, seriously?). Or any setting with teleportation...

Also Raine looks positively sexy when she looks confident.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#5 Post by tony1695 »

I'm pretty sure that it's come up in the past that Rose has met Red and his behaviour at the time was very unpleasant. Could be she still doesn't quite forgive him and is just making it clear. Though it is in Rose's character to joke about things she shouldn't joke about.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#6 Post by Cosmacelf »

Rose is going to teach Raine because it is the right thing to do. I’m sure it hasn’t escaped her attention though that having a ally even more powerful than Trace is good thing to have in your back pocket.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#7 Post by Ddraig »

BadJoke wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:23 pm Love of Rose is casually speaking about magical lobotomy and no one bats an eye beyond "Hey I'm concerned"... Nitpicking, I know, but I've always felt a bit uneasy about the relaxed way characters are shown acting around the most sinister application of magic without as much as batting an eye.
tony1695 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:22 pmThough it is in Rose's character to joke about things she shouldn't joke about.
Much like Tony, I sincerely doubt she was serious. That's the kind of thing that I've heard joked about in person and made similar jokes about myself. Dark humor is a thing, and that's only a very light example of it.
Even if she was serious, Rose has been living under the command of Dark!Trace for who knows how long. What all do you think she's had to get used to doing? I imagine she's had to wipe people's memory before (although I don't know if she's exaggerating the danger of it).
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

SomeBody
Citizen

#8 Post by SomeBody »

Uh... you guys don't even remember that somebody quite recently DID have their memory wiped? After Rose specifically did magic on them?

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#9 Post by tony1695 »

SomeBody wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:05 am Uh... you guys don't even remember that somebody quite recently DID have their memory wiped? After Rose specifically did magic on them?
Was that actually Rose though? Or was it part of the room's automated defence? No strong evidence exists one way or the other.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#10 Post by Shockwave07 »

I think Rose maybe getting some sort of plot together. That said, she at least admitted to part of her motives. But how far will Dark!Trace's Rose go?

...And a thought occured to me, given the size of the collar Rose had Raine where is it possible Rose has a collar on enchanted by Trace? It doesn't feel impossible, and she did need Trace's word to gain full access to something.

Rafe
Council Member

#11 Post by Rafe »

I think Rose was controlled by something far beyond a collar.
Sooner or later, we might learn just what has happened to Rose. But it's obvious that she isn't just some aging Keidran servant. She was constrained by some powerful restrictions, but she was also given special powers and abilities.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by SpottedKitty »

Rafe wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 am I think Rose was controlled by something far beyond a collar.
Sooner or later, we might learn just what has happened to Rose. But it's obvious that she isn't just some aging Keidran servant. She was constrained by some powerful restrictions, but she was also given special powers and abilities.
<nod> IIRC she says as much to Trace after he removed the restrictions Dark!Trace put on her. Or perhaps he created her in her current form with the restrictions?

Now, what's the betting Reni will be involved in the revealing? She was unsettled when she realised something had been rummaging around in Maddie's head.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

steelabjur
Council Member

#13 Post by steelabjur »

Slashfic idea: Red is the way he is because Rose has wiped his mind to protect him from a secret about himself. Repeatedly. They encountered and started secretly being together during Evil!Trace's reign, he Trace's friend and she Trace's slave. Red eventually gets fed up with the way Evil!Trace treats Rose and tells her he intends to confront him about it and, afraid what Evil!Trace would do to Red, Rose erased their relationship from his mind. This has happened before and continues happening, again and again into the present day.

JohnTheWysard
Apprentice

#14 Post by JohnTheWysard »

Raine has potential?

Yeah. Like a tropical cumulonimbus cloud in full convection has potential!

Ddraig
Templar Master

#15 Post by Ddraig »

JohnTheWysard wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:46 am Raine has potential?

Yeah. Like a tropical cumulonimbus cloud in full convection has potential!
I have no idea what this means but by the words "tropical" and "cloud" I'm assuming hurricane precursors?.

On another note: Seeing Raine's hair down like that has been poking around in the back of my head as reminding me of someone. I've finally figured out who it is, but the reference will probably date me a bit - Inuyasha.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."