Comic for September 25, 2019: Overpowering Desperation

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

Comic for September 25, 2019: Overpowering Desperation

#1 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Seems like the thought of "force undress", in front of Red non the less, was enough incentive for Raine to overcome the collar. With shattering results
Though Red surely wouldn't have minded :P :redhair:
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

Shockwave07
Apprentice

Re: Comic for September 25, 2019: Overpowering Desperation

#2 Post by Shockwave07 »

So Rose thought Raine would have the will to fight the collar, but not make it break as well? I think Rose might be among those surprised!

Also, Raine looks like she lost the wolf ears and arms again!

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Warrl »

Nope, in every panel where we see Raine's arms or shoulders they remain furry.

"Well, that worked - although not in the way I expected."

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#4 Post by Shockwave07 »

Warrl wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:43 pm Nope, in every panel where we see Raine's arms or shoulders they remain furry.

"Well, that worked - although not in the way I expected."
Last panel, we can barely see her right shoulder (left side of that panel), but it looks like the fur has receded unless Tom felt that detail wasn't necessary there.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#5 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Shockwave07 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:36 pmAlso, Raine looks like she lost the wolf ears and arms again!
Ooh, good catch! I didn't notice that at first, but you're right. The ears are explicitly shown to vanish in the 5th panel (with a sound effect, no less, dunno how I missed that on first glance), but not only is her right shoulder visibly lacking fur in the last panel, if you compare the 4th and 5th panels the fur on her shoulders is visibly receding as well. Looks like panic over losing your clothes is more effective than simple embarrassment over being made to act like a dog, heh.

I actually kinda want Raine to be a bit mad at Rose over this. It was effective, sure, but that's going a bit far. I know Rose's character sheet says 'enjoys messing with people', but I think she's gotta re-learn how to interact with normal people again. She's spent too long with only evil!Trace (and maybe his compatriots) for company, and I can certainly understand how that could warp a person a bit, but she's gotta actually *internalize* that realization that things are different now, that the people she's interacting with are no longer hostile and deserving of whatever level of snark she thinks she can get away with. Having Raine push back a bit against her choice of tactics here could be a start towards realizing how those habits of thought need to change, though I'm not sure if it'd be in-character for Raine.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#6 Post by Hayate »

This is why we can’t have nice things, Raine.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by TheMouse »

The timing on this, with the recently popular "snap ky choker" meme... kind of funny.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

JayJayForce
Citizen

#8 Post by JayJayForce »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:09 pmI actually kinda want Raine to be a bit mad at Rose over this. It was effective, sure, but that's going a bit far. I know Rose's character sheet says 'enjoys messing with people', but I think she's gotta re-learn how to interact with normal people again.
Yeah, I agree. Also hope Red gets mad as well. Would be good for his character development and relations with Raine.

So looks like Raine managed to turn (at least mostly) Human, but I really don't think her disintegrating the collar was expected. Honestly, I think Raine has more magical potential than Trace by a long shot. She just doesn't have any control over it yet.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by SpottedKitty »

I had to laugh at Rose in panel 2; winding Raine's mainspring even tighter. It might have been what she needed to hear, but... oohdear.

So, what's the odds of the next page showing Raine chasing Rose to the tune of Yakety Sax...? :mrgreen:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

SilentYay
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Lady Nora

#10 Post by SilentYay »

On the one hand, I'm a little disappointed in Red for standing there like a slack-jawed idiot. On the other hand, if he had been the proper gentleman, Rose's idea probably wouldn't have worked.

Also, at the risk of venturing into the-ends-justifying-the-means territory, I don't really agree with the notion that Rose went too far. Nothing else worked. And there was no indication that trying again the next day would yield better results. Quite frankly, neither of them have an entire childhood worth of time for Raine to learn the usual way. In nature, mother birds have been known to kick their young out of the nest to force them to learn to fly. It seems cruel, but sometimes discomfort is the only way we learn.

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#11 Post by Sky Shatter »

I'm gonna laugh if it turns out to be too little, too late and her victory pose ends up including her top in her hand.

Loveknowsbest
Citizen

#12 Post by Loveknowsbest »

Rose: "Hmm. Her one weakness...Red."

Raine: Nooooo!

Lol. Thats one way to learn control. Threat of embarrassment.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#13 Post by Yastreb »

SilentYay wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:31 am On the one hand, I'm a little disappointed in Red for standing there like a slack-jawed idiot. On the other hand, if he had been the proper gentleman, Rose's idea probably wouldn't have worked.

Also, at the risk of venturing into the-ends-justifying-the-means territory, I don't really agree with the notion that Rose went too far. Nothing else worked. And there was no indication that trying again the next day would yield better results. Quite frankly, neither of them have an entire childhood worth of time for Raine to learn the usual way. In nature, mother birds have been known to kick their young out of the nest to force them to learn to fly. It seems cruel, but sometimes discomfort is the only way we learn.
Maybe Red just is a slack-jawed idiot? :P But honestly, I don't see much he could have done here. He just come to the scene and hasn't even grasped yet what is going on.

Concerning your second point, I think you are right. Rose said that there were some less extreme things they could have tried first, but since even this just barely worked, they probably wouldn't have helped Raine.

Tiennos
Citizen

#14 Post by Tiennos »

Rose has offered several times to take a break or to try easier methods, Raine is the one who wanted to keep trying. It's a "careful what you wish for" kind of situation, although it seems to have worked out in the end here.

Now I want to see Raine's top unravel on its own while she's happy celebrating her success, because comedy!
I'm adorable !

greywolf
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#15 Post by greywolf »

This contains 2 lessons for Raine, transformation control and look before you leap, meaning don't put on a slave collar without question. Let's not forget they live in a magic fueled world with some incredibly ruthless beings, you could end up in way worse situations than topless in front of your crush. Red just couldn't keep up, remember, he had no idea about the slave collar and that happened quickly for them. It was like, Raine are you ready? What are you doing? Rose don't call me boy. Are you reaching for your top? Snap goes the collar. Maybe 1-2 min tops