Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

Re: Sketch of the Day

#3706 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Before this topic becomes sufficiently old that it gets shut down, I'll ask if anyone remembers this.

I vaguely remember it, for one.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Ddraig
Templar Master

#3707 Post by Ddraig »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:42 am Before this topic becomes sufficiently old that it gets shut down, I'll ask if anyone remembers this.

I vaguely remember it, for one.
Absolutely - the Nora/Reni sketches were always personal favorites of mine, but I'm biased in that regard

edit: Speaking of which, Heavy dragon got colored
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#3708 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Today, Flora accuses Nibs of subterfuge in Chess Master

And I'm going to put on my nerd hat here for a while, because the funny thing about this one is that Flora might just be right. If you look closely there's actually something quite odd about this particular chessboard.

Assumptions:
1: Flora is playing white and Nibs black (i.e. Flora is losing as the sketch suggests).
2: Since Nibs is smugly holding Flora's queen, Nibs has just moved (and taken said queen) and it is now Flora's move.
3: The board is currently set up as follows (with Nibs having cutely substituted in an acorn as her King):
Note that the identity of the two somewhat ambiguous non-pawn non-rook black pieces (which I have noted here as one knight and one bishop) doesn't actually end up making a difference.

With those assumptions, it turns out that this is actually an illegal position, in the sense that it can't be reached by any legal sequence of moves. The problem is basically that Flora's king has to have already been in check at the start of Nibs' turn.

Currently, the white king is under check from both the black queen on c1 and the black rook on a2. Since Nibs can of course only move one piece per turn, at least one of these two pieces had to have already been in its current position at the start of her turn. If the queen was already in position, there is no way it could not have been giving check. If the rook was already in position, the only way it could have not been giving check is if either the queen or knight had started the turn on b2 and were blocking it - however, under either of those cases, then the queen would still have been giving check.

Either way, Nibs' turn has to have started (and thus, Flora's turn ended) with Flora's king in check. This is illegal, because in chess one is not *allowed* to place or leave one's king in check. Either Flora failed to move her king out of check on her turn (which is illegal), or she actually moved her king *into* check on her turn (also illegal), or Nibs made some sort of illegal move on *her* turn, such as moving two pieces. (And, of course, if it's actually Nibs' turn instead, the position is still illegal because Flora again illegally left her king in check.)

Amusingly enough, despite the desperate situation of Flora's king, white is actually not quite checkmated yet. The positions of the black rooks and queen means that the white king cannot escape check by simply fleeing, but the black queen herself is not protected. As such, the only legal move for white in this case is:

1. Kxc1

However, this position *is* still an almost immediate loss for white. White's king is now trapped on the first rank by the rook on a2, so to secure the victory all black has to do is protect that rook against the threat of Kb1, which is done by:

1... Nc3 (if the piece on a4 is actually a bishop, the move is instead ... Bb3)

Now white's fate is sealed, as the king cannot escape the first rank and cannot threaten the piece holding it there. The conclusion is straightforward:

2. Kd1 Bd4 (clearing the way; if the piece on g1 is a knight then instead ... Nh3)
3. Ke1 Rg1 mate

This position is still quickly lost for white even if you delete one of the black rooks *and* either the knight or bishop; black simply has far too large of an advantage. In fact, you can delete all of the black pieces except one rook and it's still a win for black (king and rook endgame) - the only real challenge is to avoid letting white maneuver into a stalemate and sneak out a draw.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#3709 Post by SpottedKitty »

The King finds the humans-only shower, leading to Human Adelaide.

The only comment I can think of is what her daughter said to herself after the fight with Seraphina... Is there any room left in the perv box?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#3710 Post by Shockwave07 »

SpottedKitty wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:31 pm The King finds the humans-only shower, leading to Human Adelaide.

The only comment I can think of is what her daughter said to herself after the fight with Seraphina... Is there any room left in the perv box?
Me, I say take me now Amazonian woman!

vevans0009
New Citizen

#3711 Post by vevans0009 »

Shockwave07 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:06 am
SpottedKitty wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:31 pm The King finds the humans-only shower, leading to Human Adelaide.

Me, I say take me now Amazonian woman!
Eh, not very intriguing. She looks like any other long hair chick. 8/

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3712 Post by Technic[Bot] »

There is this weird sayiing some people use in my country:
"I like my girls big and tall even if they hit me!"
But in this case I think is a bit TOO big.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#3713 Post by SpottedKitty »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:09 pm But in this case I think is a bit TOO big.
Remember she's 7'2" as a Basitin; would she be about the same as a human?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#3714 Post by AmigaDragon »

Probably under 7' with plantigrade feet. Remember, Raine is taller as wolf than as human for the same reason.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#3715 Post by Shockwave07 »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:09 pm

There is this weird sayiing some people use in my country:
"I like my girls big and tall even if they hit me!"
But in this case I think is a bit TOO big.
Well I could imagine it being intimidating for a girl to be almost a foot or more taller than you... At 6'3" she'd still have 9" inches on me at least!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3716 Post by tony1695 »

We get to see Nora try on a Wolf form and... this is probably the closest we'll get to seeing Raine completely clothes-less.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some link between dragons (maybe not Nora specifically) and the group of wolves who can take a human form.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

vevans0009
New Citizen

#3717 Post by vevans0009 »

tony1695 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 am We get to see Nora try on a Wolf form and... this is probably the closest we'll get to seeing Raine completely clothes-less.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some link between dragons (maybe not Nora specifically) and the group of wolves who can take a human form.
No connection. Those wolves just used a magic crystal to do those illusions.

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#3718 Post by Shockwave07 »

vevans0009 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:08 pm
tony1695 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 am We get to see Nora try on a Wolf form and... this is probably the closest we'll get to seeing Raine completely clothes-less.

But what about Euchre, Rose, and Raine? XD

Raine: Aunt Nora?!?!

Nora: Well it's actually like great great great great great *trails on for more great's* great aunt...

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#3719 Post by AmigaDragon »

vevans0009 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:08 pm

If you mean in the Edinmire attack, yes, just illusion, no dragon connection there.
Shockwave07 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:15 pm But what about Euchre, Rose, and Raine? XD
Probably no dragon connection here but who knows for sure (besides Tom at this point)?
Their ability is not illusion but actual transformation. Though if Flawless Transformation runs in the family, why was Rose caught using an illusion? Did Sirus not know the difference or was that just the simplest explanation for her human form?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#3720 Post by Shockwave07 »

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:53 am
Shockwave07 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:15 pm But what about Euchre, Rose, and Raine? XD
Probably no dragon connection here but who knows for sure (besides Tom at this point)?
Their ability is not illusion but actual transformation. Though if Flawless Transformation runs in the family, why was Rose caught using an illusion? Did Sirus not know the difference or was that just the simplest explanation for her human form?
My guess? That illusion is what she used, but that the Flawless Transformation was mastered later. Just because the ability is innate doesn't mean she had the knowledge of how to tap into it yet.

...Also link doesn't work.