Conflict in Mekkan - What Do You Do?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

How would you deal with the War of Mekkan?

Pick a side (e.g. Human, Keidran, Basitin, etc.)
11%
Take no sides
11%
Make peace between two or more sides
39%
Fight against all sides
17%
Do whatever I want
22%

Total votes: 18

JDEzekude
Traveler

Conflict in Mekkan - What Do You Do?

#1 Post by JDEzekude »

Gentlemen, as I'm sure many readers are aware, Mekkan, the world setting of TwoKinds, has been fraught with harrowing conflict between towns and tribes of all sorts, long before the protagonist, Trace Legacy, became Grand Templar and later fell from grace.

:trace:

To me, the most distressing thing about this prolonged war is that countless citizens (Human, Keidran and Basitin) are oppressed and devastated once in the crossfire, sometimes even manipulated by their own people and/or government. Keith Keiser, a mixed-race Basitin who lost his parents and two friends to his own government, is a prime case example. Frankly, I was incredibly disgusted with how Keith and Maddie were treated by their own kind.

:keith: :Maddie:

Our heroes of this webcomic (e.g. Trace, Flora, Keith, Natani, etc.) have fought time and time again to overcome such perilous boundaries for the sake of love and peace. Alas, from what I've seen in the recent Siege of Edinmire, there are still many who refuse to abandon their pride and prejudices. Thus, the blind and misguided (e.g. The Templar, The Edinmire Guard, etc.) continue to fan the flames of war, clinging onto the prolonged conflict as if it's their raison d'être. Worse yet, there are still notorious crooks, like the selfish Clovis, who shamelessly take advantage of this war for personal gain.

With this much conflict being blindly spread across Mekkan over the years, I must ask you this:

How would you deal with such a war?

Personally, if I lived in Mekkan, I would fight against all sides to rescue those oppressed by their people (Human, Keidran and Basitin) and rebel against their oppressors (e.g. The Templar, The Guard, The Basidian Empire, etc.) even if it costs me my life.
JDEzekude

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Conflict in Mekkan - What Do You Do?

#2 Post by aitaituo »

The Templar may have nefarious intents, but the regular folks don't. As a human, I would certainly be an acceptable casualty to the Wolf King's army or to the Basitins if they joined the war. So I'd side with humanity, even if I knew the war was provoked by the Templar. But I certainly wouldn't fight with the Templar proper, since they appear to be planning genocide. War is brutal and both sides attack civilians.

I think fighting against all sides in hopes of winning peace is a bit of fool's errand. A small group of people can't fight an army and starting something like the French resistance is not noble when the enemy is your own government in principle, but more alarmingly you'd be helping the Wolves advance to your home village to burn it to the ground. :-/

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#3 Post by Hulk10 »

I would make peace between sides and depose and banish the evil doers.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#4 Post by Ddraig »

aitaituo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 am The Templar may have nefarious intents, but the regular folks don't. As a human, I would certainly be an acceptable casualty to the Wolf King's army or to the Basitins if they joined the war. So I'd side with humanity, even if I knew the war was provoked by the Templar. But I certainly wouldn't fight with the Templar proper, since they appear to be planning genocide. War is brutal and both sides attack civilians.

I think fighting against all sides in hopes of winning peace is a bit of fool's errand. A small group of people can't fight an army and starting something like the French resistance is not noble when the enemy is your own government in principle, but more alarmingly you'd be helping the Wolves advance to your home village to burn it to the ground. :-/
It's a bit of a case of WWII Soviet farmer living west of Stalingrad (or, I guess more accurately, WH40k imperium). Your gov't sucks and is murder-happy, but who they're fighting is even more likely to kill you. There ain't no winnin' there.
If I were a human? keep my head down and try to get by.
If I were [race of choice]? Bask in the riches and chill on my personal island :nora:
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#5 Post by Hulk10 »

If I were a member of the race of my choice with perfect transformation into any creature I wanted I'd still try to bring peace.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#6 Post by Neutral Smith »

Stay neutral. And sell weapons to both sides.

Do whatever I want.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

steelabjur
Council Member

#7 Post by steelabjur »

If I were to step out the front door and find myself in Mekkan, you mean? I'd probably try to get to the Basitin islands. King Adelaide seems the most level-headed and least bloodthirsty ruler in Mekkan, despite the drawbacks of the Eastern Basitin culture. Having a bit of knowledge of early firearms and chemistry, I certainly could prove myself useful to the military nature of Eastern Basitin culture, enough to provide powder and firearm designs, maybe even some crude chemical weapons and grenades. I'd try to help out those trying to escape the Templar as I can, and do my best to encourage the Basitin to move against the Templar for their attempt disrupt the Basitin empire. Maybe put together units of auxiliaries made up of Human and Keidran magic users as I can encourage to join us to supplement Basitin raw military might to further secure King Adelaide's rule and ingratiate the refugees to our Basitin hosts.

JDEzekude
Traveler

Conflict in Mekkan - Answers So Far...

#8 Post by JDEzekude »

aitaituo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 am I think fighting against all sides in hopes of winning peace is a bit of fool's errand. A small group of people can't fight an army...
Sure, it may sound like a "fool's errand", but it's not impossible for small armies to overcome bigger adversaries as long as they have the right stuff (e.g. skills, tactics, etc.).
steelabjur wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 am King Adelaide seems the most level-headed and least bloodthirsty ruler in Mekkan, despite the drawbacks of the Eastern Basitin culture.
That's true. Her courtesy and strong sense of morality is what makes her an ideal leader. Sadly, however, her faith in her people has proven to be a weakness as well as a strength. Had she been tougher on her own Generals, she could've prevented them from exploiting her people, just as the envious Albion Alabaster did (when he was still alive).

To be honest, I have a feeling that Albion was attached to Cornelius and really didn't want to lose him as a friend. However, his reckless and inexcusable course of action led his friend to an early grave. And so, unable to face what he had done, he fooled himself to believe that Keith is the root of his problems, spending the rest of his life in pitiful and destructive self-denial...

It's a shame Keith only found out about this after Albion sealed his fate, robbing him of his chance for revenge...But, even though Albion is gone, I suspect that Keith is still being used by his own people and that they only gave him the title of "Basitin Ambassador" to keep him complacent and subdued. I can only hope that Keith sets himself completely free someday...

Having said that, I'm flattered to receive a few meaningful answers already. Thank you everyone. =)
JDEzekude

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Conflict in Mekkan - Answers So Far...

#9 Post by aitaituo »

JDEzekude wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:25 am
aitaituo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 am I think fighting against all sides in hopes of winning peace is a bit of fool's errand. A small group of people can't fight an army...
Sure, it may sound like a "fool's errand", but it's not impossible for small armies to overcome bigger adversaries as long as they have the right stuff (e.g. skills, tactics, etc.).
If there was an army, sure. Say if the Human King ordered the Templar to be subdued, I'd favor the legitimate government over the Templar. The King could even potentially ally with wolves to exterminate the Templar in exchange for some of those massive mana crystals in the Templar towers and minimize death all around. Unfortunately, Trace was such a menace because the King didn't resist a de facto Templar takeover.

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Conflict in Mekkan - Answers So Far...

#10 Post by steelabjur »

aitaituo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:59 pm
JDEzekude wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:25 am
If there was an army, sure. Say if the Human King ordered the Templar to be subdued, I'd favor the legitimate government over the Templar. The King could even potentially ally with wolves to exterminate the Templar in exchange for some of those massive mana crystals in the Templar towers and minimize death all around. Unfortunately, Trace was such a menace because the King didn't resist a de facto Templar takeover.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Human King try to curtail the Templar, leading to them arranging his assassination by Wolves?

JDEzekude
Traveler

Conflict in Mekkan - Fire Against Fire

#11 Post by JDEzekude »

steelabjur wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:14 pm
aitaituo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 am Say if the Human King ordered the Templar to be subdued, I'd favor the legitimate government over the Templar. The King could even potentially ally with wolves to exterminate the Templar in exchange for some of those massive mana crystals in the Templar towers and minimize death all around. Unfortunately, Trace was such a menace because the King didn't resist a de facto Templar takeover.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Human King try to curtail the Templar, leading to them arranging his assassination by Wolves?
Indeed, after all the dirty deeds done by the Templar so far, any other leader and/or government would be more favorable. Ironically, the Templar are currently manipulating the Wolves to do their bidding (e.g. the recent Edinmire Siege). With such an encroaching influence at their disposal, overcoming the Templar will be no easy feat.

Nonetheless, strengths can sometimes be weaknesses in themselves. Therefore, by using the Templar's strengths (e.g. ruthlessness, persuasion, deceit, etc.) against them, it should be possible to, at the very least, throw a spanner in their works.
JDEzekude

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Conflict in Mekkan - Fire Against Fire

#12 Post by steelabjur »

JDEzekude wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 pm
steelabjur wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:14 pm
aitaituo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 am Say if the Human King ordered the Templar to be subdued, I'd favor the legitimate government over the Templar. The King could even potentially ally with wolves to exterminate the Templar in exchange for some of those massive mana crystals in the Templar towers and minimize death all around. Unfortunately, Trace was such a menace because the King didn't resist a de facto Templar takeover.
Indeed, after all the dirty deeds done by the Templar so far, any other leader and/or government would be more favorable. Ironically, the Templar are currently manipulating the Wolves to do their bidding (e.g. the recent Edinmire Siege). With such an encroaching influence at their disposal, overcoming the Templar will be no easy feat.

Nonetheless, strengths can sometimes be weaknesses in themselves. Therefore, by using the Templar's strengths (e.g. ruthlessness, persuasion, deceit, etc.) against them, it should be possible to, at the very least, throw a spanner in their works.
True, if Clovis was exposed as working with the Templars, specifically Brahn, it could throw a big spanner in for both of them and might cool things a bit.

JDEzekude
Traveler

Conflict in Mekkan - Clovis' Imminent Fate(s)

#13 Post by JDEzekude »

steelabjur wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 am
JDEzekude wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 pm ...Strengths can sometimes be weaknesses in themselves. Therefore, by using the Templar's strengths (e.g. ruthlessness, persuasion, deceit, etc.) against them, it should be possible to, at the very least, throw a spanner in their works.
True, if Clovis was exposed as working with the Templar, specifically Brahn, it could throw a big spanner in for both of them and might cool things a bit.
Hopefully, that will come after Clovis' inevitable defeat, if Groups A and B capture him alive for questioning. But, if he tries anything on Flora, Natani and/or Raine, he'll have everyone arguing whether or not they should detain him or put him down. That would be a considerable dilemma for both Groups A and B.

For example...

:flora: :natani: :raine: :Lynn:
He knows something about the Templar! We need him alive!
:keith: :redhair: :sythe:
You really think he'll tell us anything!? He tried to kill you! Let's end him here and now!

If Clovis does end up getting killed by either Group A or B, whoever kills him may be marked as a target for Templar retaliation, which could split either group apart! Nonetheless, that wouldn't stop me from ending Clovis if I were there, diplomacy be damned.
JDEzekude

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Conflict in Mekkan - Clovis' Imminent Fate(s)

#14 Post by steelabjur »

JDEzekude wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:14 pm
steelabjur wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 am
JDEzekude wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 pm ...Strengths can sometimes be weaknesses in themselves. Therefore, by using the Templar's strengths (e.g. ruthlessness, persuasion, deceit, etc.) against them, it should be possible to, at the very least, throw a spanner in their works.
True, if Clovis was exposed as working with the Templar, specifically Brahn, it could throw a big spanner in for both of them and might cool things a bit.
Hopefully, that will come after Clovis' inevitable defeat, if Groups A and B capture him alive for questioning. But, if he tries anything on Flora, Natani and/or Raine, he'll have everyone arguing whether or not they should detain him or put him down. That would be a considerable dilemma for both Groups A and B.

For example...

:flora: :natani: :raine: :Lynn:
He knows something about the Templar! We need him alive!
:keith: :redhair: :sythe:
You really think he'll tell us anything!? He tried to kill you! Let's end him here and now!

If Clovis does end up getting killed by either Group A or B, whoever kills him may be marked as a target for Templar retaliation, which could split either group apart! Nonetheless, that wouldn't stop me from ending Clovis if I were there, diplomacy be damned.
If Clovis was killed (or otherwise removed from play) another would certainly fill his place as head of his Guild and the next head may or may not continue to work with Brahn. Also, I can't help but think Natani and Zen would be lining up to play stick-the-dagger-in-the-wolf with Clovis as the wolf regardless given their history. I think only independent parties catching Brahn plotting with Clovis would do it.

JDEzekude
Traveler

Conflict in Mekkan - Who Shall End Clovis?

#15 Post by JDEzekude »

steelabjur wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:08 am If Clovis was killed (or otherwise removed from play) another would certainly fill his place as head of his Guild and the next head may or may not continue to work with Brahn. Also, I can't help but think Natani and Zen would be lining up to play stick-the-dagger-in-the-wolf with Clovis as the wolf regardless given their history. I think only independent parties catching Brahn plotting with Clovis would do it.
Indeed, dear or alive, Clovis will be expendable in the eyes of his Guild. Nonetheless, if someone other than Group A and/or B were to capture Clovis, dead or alive, that would be anti-climactic (for me, that is).
JDEzekude