Sketch of the Day

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Sketch of the Day

#3436 Post by tony1695 »

Warrl wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:49 am There isn't enough casual low-power magic depicted, that doesn't have known association with dragons or high-power mages, for me to believe that there are magic-powered factories.

After all, which is simpler: a magically self-operating loom, or a cooking pot that (when provided with a spoon) stirs itself? Which would be more prevalent? In a small inn like Adira's, the latter would be quite a useful tool. And in a lot of other places too - more places than the loom. There should be more mages who can enchant the cooking pot. And yet, I don't believe we've ever seen one - or any other simple, commonplace magical thing - except possibly at Trace's manor (high-power mage AND a pair of dragons).
You're certainly not wrong, but we also haven't seen the kind of place the low-key magi-tech would be employed. Then again, given how common slave labour is meant to be in the setting, why spend money on an expensive enchantment when you can just work a handful of keidran to the bone?

Damn, this took a dark turn.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3437 Post by Warrl »

tony1695 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:07 amYou're certainly not wrong, but we also haven't seen the kind of place the low-key magi-tech would be employed. Then again, given how common slave labour is meant to be in the setting, why spend money on an expensive enchantment when you can just work a handful of keidran to the bone?
Adira's inn?

The Taverndatters' inn?

Even in the illusionary city Ephemural created out of nothing but magic, no appearance of the casual use of magic?

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3438 Post by tony1695 »

Warrl wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:37 am
tony1695 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:07 amYou're certainly not wrong, but we also haven't seen the kind of place the low-key magi-tech would be employed. Then again, given how common slave labour is meant to be in the setting, why spend money on an expensive enchantment when you can just work a handful of keidran to the bone?
Adira's inn?

The Taverndatters' inn?

Even in the illusionary city Ephemural created out of nothing but magic, no appearance of the casual use of magic?
Well, my memory has always been terrible. Thanks for reminding me.
Mind you, I did say magi-tech, machines powered by magic. Which I don't think have appeared properly.
Gentlementlemen

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#3439 Post by Neutral Smith »

tony1695 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:50 am
Warrl wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:37 am
Adira's inn?

The Taverndatters' inn?

Well, my memory has always been terrible. Thanks for reminding me.
Mind you, I did say magi-tech, machines powered by magic. Which I don't think have appeared properly.
Does it need to have moving parts?

Table, lights, bathroom (with waterfall), (now dark) portal, tower...
A Golem as a guard... That thing moves.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3440 Post by tony1695 »

Neutral Smith wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:25 am Does it need to have moving parts?

Table, lights, bathroom (with waterfall), (now dark) portal, tower...
A Golem as a guard... That thing moves.
I guess the issue is that it varies on the setting.
Gentlementlemen

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3441 Post by Warrl »

Thing is, if you want to create a fictional world where magic is commonplace, the easiest way to convey that to the reader is to show it as commonplace.

Golem guards. Self-propelled stirring spoons. Fuel-less, flameless lights. Sinks that maybe you have to fill up and empty, but you just dump dishes in and a few minutes later those dishes are clean. Axes that chop firewood. The bellows at the smithy pumping themselves. As common things.

In fact, the more I think about this subject, the more the 4th panel of page 894] bothers me. If basic water magic is common enough that at least two members of the guard have it and the guard captain, a native of the town which is heavy on wood construction and (extremely flammable) thatched roofs, doesn't bother to know who they all are (which is what Keiren's wording implies), then it's pretty darn common. You would expect basic earth and fire magic, and possibly air magic, to be similarly common. So where is it?

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3442 Post by aitaituo »

Warrl wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pmIn fact, the more I think about this subject, the more the 4th panel of page 894] bothers me. If basic water magic is common enough that at least two members of the guard have it and the guard captain, a native of the town which is heavy on wood construction and (extremely flammable) thatched roofs, doesn't bother to know who they all are (which is what Keiren's wording implies), then it's pretty darn common. You would expect basic earth and fire magic, and possibly air magic, to be similarly common. So where is it?
I agree that it's unclear how common and useful magic really is. We really don't see it much. Enchantments are worse, since most are from the last couple of chapters and those are what would really tell us about wider societal use of magic. It's a time investment to learn how to use magic, but anyone can use an enchanted tool. If you want to portray a fantasy medieval society as medieval+ technologically, it's usually done with enchanted items. Consider Eric, a wealthy human who has to use magic regularly in the course of his business, I don't recall a single enchanted item on his ship except the slave collars. On the other hand, enchantments would handily explain how he sails that ship with a skeleton crew.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3443 Post by IHeartMaeve »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:26 pm Today, we find out what happens when a dragon puts on a Collar of Keidranification, thanks to Anthro Reni!
I wonder where she found a dressmaker to make clothing for her.
Also, can I just say, the Steven Universe references are strong with this one, with the way Steven likes to call Fusion Gems "Giant Woman" and all.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3444 Post by Technic[Bot] »

aitaituo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:33 am
Given the level of technology, I'd guess most tailoring is done custom fitted anyhow. While we've seen a lot of magic that takes the place of modern conveniences, we've never seen anything like a factory.
Well by company I meant a bunch of organized tailors and dressmakers spanning a couple continents specializing of garments for tall keidran/humans/basitin/dragon. And occasional custom orders like our favorite fake Dragon robes.
Did not tried to imply an automatic assembly line or an industrial complex.

And regarding the current the topic.
I imagine magic is an academic discipline. It takes time money and effort to learn it and is the kind of thing you really need a school/institution to really get into.So it is no wonder even basic magic is not that common. college did not become widespread in the real world. Well until the last Century. On top of that I imagine all magic education is under the Monopoly of the templars your know to keep the power for themselves.

Also we once saw Eric use and enchanted occulus rift visit to flush Maddie out of her hideout.
IHeartMaeve wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 am
Also, can I just say, the Steven Universe references are strong with this one, with the way Steven likes to call Fusion Gems "Giant Woman" and all.
So that was what everyone was referencing in the vomment!s! I have never watched the show so I had no idea. Thanks
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3445 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 am
IHeartMaeve wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 am
So that was what everyone was referencing in the vomment!s! I have never watched the show so I had no idea. Thanks
Heh. You're welcome. See, this is why it pays to have a variety of interests in your life.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3446 Post by Technic[Bot] »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 pm
Heh. You're welcome. See, this is why it pays to have a variety of interests in your life.
I am a man of varied and refined tastes I wish.
But in this case. The show is just too gen z for me and I am too old to enjoy it...
I am just not the target demographic.

Anyhow I think no one is surprised that Kat casually streaking down the street got colored but this was really fast!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#3447 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Today we have the apex of cute, now even cuter in color! :kathrin: :maeve:

And somehow monday's sketch slipped by without being posted - Kat reference sheet. There was a bit of discussion during the drawing of this one about the weight figure being a bit higher than people expected - after all, I've got three inches on Kat and my normal weight (when I haven't been overeating!) is about the same - but I think it may just be that she has a bit of a naturally stocky/curvy build coupled with the fact that, as a domestic servant, she's most likely in better physical shape than many in our modern society given the physical labor involved in such an occupation.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3448 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:35 pm Today we have the apex of cute, now even cuter in color! :kathrin: :maeve:

And somehow monday's sketch slipped by without being posted - Kat reference sheet. There was a bit of discussion during the drawing of this one about the weight figure being a bit higher than people expected - after all, I've got three inches on Kat and my normal weight (when I haven't been overeating!) is about the same - but I think it may just be that she has a bit of a naturally stocky/curvy build coupled with the fact that, as a domestic servant, she's most likely in better physical shape than many in our modern society given the physical labor involved in such an occupation.
I love how since the three characters are monochrome Toms adds a lot of colorfull pillows, throws and blankets to add variety to the scene.

Regarding Kat:
Well according to most charts I could find she is a bit heavier than most women her heigth but it is still on a healthy range. Of course ignoring she is not human. Also somewhere, i think is a long log documentary, I heard that women store fat in "more convenient" places than men so even a few extra kilograms are not as evident. And less not forget she has a Tail and that adds weigth, mostly bone thought and the fur but i am sure that is mostly negligible.
Also i always thougth Kat worked as a maid or servant not doing very heavy jobs like Hauling barrels into the cargo hold of a ship.
Still on a medieval setting most people had the opposite problem we have these days: Malnutrition and lack of food but as a servant of a rich house I doubt Kat had that kind of problems.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3449 Post by aitaituo »

Kat's always appeared to be in fairly good shape. She's no bodybuilder, but you can tell she has good sized muscles through her fur. Muscle is a lot denser than fat. She's also "top heavy."

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3450 Post by aitaituo »

Today Bathtime for Laura was colorized.