Comic for May 22, 2018: Aural Explanation

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

NuclearBird
Master

Re: Comic for May 22, 2018: Aural Explanation

#16 Post by NuclearBird »

Madelyn, your inner lesbian is showing...
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#17 Post by Dadrobit »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:42 am
Eclipse wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am Maddie knows what sex is? Could've fooled me.
Don't forget that in Basitin society, sex is something that is highly ordered and controlled and happens only at certain specific times of the year among married couples.
So it's plausible that while Madelyn knows about sex, she wouldn't immediately associate Trace and Flora going to bed together in the daytime with them *having sex*, since she's probably not used to the idea of people having sex out of wedlock and whenever they feel like it. It probably only later clicked for her: "oh right! they were having sex! *that's* why they were going to bed in the daytime. right. now I get it. I forgot how humans and Keidran just do it whenever".
Yeah, between her using sexual innuendo to manipulate Flora, and a particularly unfortunate choice of hiding spots on the boat, she knows about sex. :mrgrin:
NuclearBird wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm Madelyn, your inner lesbian is showing...
I swear, this fandom sometimes.

ZeroJinKui
Banned
Banned

#18 Post by ZeroJinKui »

calling it right now, maddie is a closet lesbian, or at the very least, bi-curious... and i completely ship her and karen. |D

FONDLE HER, KAREN!

teach her the ways of love. :D~
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#19 Post by Schrodinger »

phpBB [video]

On a serious note, no I don't think that this has to do with lesbianism. But the idea of lesbianism, for such a regulated society as the basitins, must seem unthinkable.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

steelabjur
Council Member

#20 Post by steelabjur »

Hubris wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:49 am
ClockworkPanda wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:20 am Right? "Kid" is not something you usually call someone unless you're a pretty far way ahead of them on the age scale.
Nah, has less to do with age and more to do with (perceived) maturity level. I'll call someone older than me "kid" if they act like one.

Also, does no one want to talk about what this page maybe means for Maddie's sexuality? Did I miss a previous thread on it already? Basically there's two assumptions I'm now making based off her uneasiness and wording near the end:

1. Basitin society looks down on homosexual relationships and she's uncomfortable explaining that "two girls stroking ears would be inappropriate" because she comes from a very conservative society or
2. She's uncomfortable explaining it because she's in the closet.

Either way this page makes it sound like homosexuality is frowned upon among Basitins, not surprising for a conservative military society.
Reminds me of the time she spotted Natani and Keith holding tails and her reaction (to paraphrase): "tails touching" "but both boys" "Ooooh!" Perhaps seeing that awakened her to the fact that same sex relationships were possible? Given the conservative nature of the culture, perhaps same sex relationships aren't talked about openly and the most she knows about it are they're "inappropriate".

Also, I see her use of "kid" as a way to establish herself as the experienced person in the conversation. As the father of four, I've seen this sort of thing from kids before.

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#21 Post by Shockwave07 »

I'm also noting Madelyn is starting to look a little frazzled in Tom's most recent pics of her... Like either she's older than she looks or the stress of her job is getting to her...

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#22 Post by aitaituo »

Dadrobit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 pm
Eclipse wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am Maddie knows what sex is? Could've fooled me.
Don't forget that in Basitin society, sex is something that is highly ordered and controlled and happens only at certain specific times of the year among married couples.
So it's plausible that while Madelyn knows about sex, she wouldn't immediately associate Trace and Flora going to bed together in the daytime with them *having sex*, since she's probably not used to the idea of people having sex out of wedlock and whenever they feel like it. It probably only later clicked for her: "oh right! they were having sex! *that's* why they were going to bed in the daytime. right. now I get it. I forgot how humans and Keidran just do it whenever".
Yeah, between her using sexual innuendo to manipulate Flora, and a particularly unfortunate choice of hiding spots on the boat, she knows about sex. :mrgrin:
She used sexual innuendo to manipulate Trace and Flora, claimed to be 13 going on 14 to Trace and Flora, and then showed ignorance of what lovers do in bed with Trace and Flora. Frankly, it would be rather abnormal for a 13 year old to have such an ignorance of these topics. Yeah, we can assume that the Basitins simply do not speak of such things and tell their children to simply lie back and think of Basidia, but with how professionalized Basitin society is (including synchronized estrus cycles and presumably organized, uh, holidays to continue the species), I find it unlikely they have no sex education. You don't find real people of Maddie's supposed age acting like that unless they've been intentionally sheltered and isolated from unsheltered children. Furthermore, Maddie was a protege of infamous pervert and probable homosexual Alaric.

Ceterum censeo, Maddie once shoved her forehead into Flora's chest and smiled broadly.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#23 Post by Eclipse »

I know, but if she knows about sex she should still be able to figure that out. Even with the Basitins being as prudish as they are, where else are they going to do the deed? Between that and it being unusual to go to bed after breakfast she should've been able to put two and two together.
Dadrobit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 pm Yeah, between her using sexual innuendo to manipulate Flora, and a particularly unfortunate choice of hiding spots on the boat, she knows about sex. :mrgrin:
She didn't necessarily need to have known about sex to manipulate Flora like that, just seeing how the girls react to Eric's perving is enough to pick up on that they don't approve of that kind of behavior. And she wasn't looking at what was going on above her. At best that could've been when she finally learned.

I find it much more likely that she learned about sex after traveling with Trace and Flora (and inadvertently seeing what they get up to behind closed doors) rather than knowing about it beforehand and being completely oblivious to that one incident. Perhaps she's considered too young by Basitin culture to learn about sex and they don't learn about it until they're adults.
aitaituo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:42 pm Ceterum censeo, Maddie once shoved her forehead into Flora's chest and smiled broadly.
It's more likely she was smiling because she successfully manipulated Flora into getting her out of the jail cell.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#24 Post by aitaituo »

She learned about sexual reproduction after she stalked Keith around the island while continuously gushing about how hot and awesome and manly and omigosh muscular and after she no doubt heard from Alaric the wholesome tale of stripping Keith down so Alaric could lovingly reproduce, with his own hands and nothing but two phallic tools, Keith's genitals in rock? Honestly, I'm half-blushing just describing that chain of events :nora:. Maddie's fangirl crush on Keith seems to be the only behavior that would be consistent with a 13 year old, but older people do that, too. He is a fine specimen of a keith, you know.

SomeBody
Citizen

#25 Post by SomeBody »

For a long while I completely forgot that she'd ever claimed to be young. The whole thing makes a lot more sense to me if she's just being sneaky.

In which case - Nat should encourage a triad. Keith needs somebody who's not going to die decades ahead of him. :/

Tyger42
Apprentice

#26 Post by Tyger42 »

You know you want her to, Mads! ^_^

....and Keith noping the F out of the room is golden.

detrius
Citizen

#27 Post by detrius »

What I'm wondering is: does Karen still have two sets of ears or did Tom change her design at some point?

Frankly, I'd prefer her only having the cat ears. The human ears would just look weird given how much Tom's art style has improved.

Kyrit
Templar

#28 Post by Kyrit »

detrius wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm What I'm wondering is: does Karen still have two sets of ears or did Tom change her design at some point?

Frankly, I'd prefer her only having the cat ears. The human ears would just look weird given how much Tom's art style has improved.
She did still have both in this page, which isn't very old, so yeah. I'd say she's still got both sets. Tom just very, very rarely makes the human set visible.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#29 Post by Warrl »

Given Karen's general personality and fondness for the cat-ears, I would be about 1000% unsurprised if she deliberately wears her hair fluffed out to hide her human ears.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#30 Post by Hulk10 »

Keidran and Eastern Basitins are more relaxed about sex and nudity even if they often associate nudity with sex.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.