Comic for May 22, 2018: Aural Explanation

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for May 22, 2018: Aural Explanation

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Comic for May 22, 2018: Aural Explanation

#2 Post by SpottedKitty »

I'm not sure which is funnier in the middle panel — Keith going "I'm outta here before the inevitable Basitin-shattering kaboom", or Maddie actually flustered to the point of pulling on her own ears.

And of course, Karen pinching Keith's insufficiently guarded bacon... :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Terrakiel

#3 Post by Terrakiel »

and the carefully laid out plan to steal bacon is a success! :karen:

trantor
Apprentice

#4 Post by trantor »

:grin: :karen: "what is wrong to comfort somebody if it's nothing sexual..." .... :Maddie: "JUST DON T DO IT" .... Just sound like an usual uncomfortable discussion between parents and Kids about things kids have no problem with, but parents gets embrassed for whatever reason.

Thallium
Templar

#5 Post by Thallium »

I hereby shatter the champagne bottle on the prow and launch the latest ship in the TwoKinds fleet: the SS Kardelyn! Long may she sail!
Image Image

What I cannot create, I do not understand.
The imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man.

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#6 Post by Elemental Templar »

Am I the only one who's seeing the Irony in the fact that Maddie in two years younger than Karen, and yet it's the younger one who's getting placed in the awkward situation?
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

Deaththekat
Merchant

#7 Post by Deaththekat »

Oh lookie there! I just hopped onto another ship.
The one and only Ottershark!
Resident stoner/metalhead.
It took me 4 years, 8 months, 23 days, 4 hours, and 30 minutes to post 100 times

Jae
Apprentice

#8 Post by Jae »

Thallium wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 pm I hereby shatter the champagne bottle on the prow and launch the latest ship in the TwoKinds fleet: the SS Kardelyn! Long may she sail!
#Shipped :karen: :heart: :Maddie:
—Jae Lynn

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by aitaituo »

Elemental Templar wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 pm Am I the only one who's seeing the Irony in the fact that Maddie in two years younger than Karen, and yet it's the younger one who's getting placed in the awkward situation?
I read it as further confirmation that Maddie is not the age she claims to be. When would a talented spy briefly forget their cover story?

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#10 Post by Foxx Trotter »

I see somebody got put on the spot. :karen: :Maddie:
Videre videnda.

Panther
Merchant

#11 Post by Panther »

Good job , Karen : you were close to kill Maddie with food ^_^"

Too , i love Keith slowly scouting away in the fifth panel : "Don't count me in such discussion" :oops:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

ClockworkPanda
Citizen

#12 Post by ClockworkPanda »

aitaituo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 am
Elemental Templar wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 pm Am I the only one who's seeing the Irony in the fact that Maddie in two years younger than Karen, and yet it's the younger one who's getting placed in the awkward situation?
I read it as further confirmation that Maddie is not the age she claims to be. When would a talented spy briefly forget their cover story?
Right? "Kid" is not something you usually call someone unless you're a pretty far way ahead of them on the age scale. There's been so much hinting that at this point Madelyn actually being just young and innocent is almost as much of an anticlimax as Nibbly just being a squirrel :P

But aside from that there's some interesting things getting dropped about Basitin culture in this page. First and foremost there's the ear thing, of course. Turns out they do show affection sometimes. ;)

But the more interesting part is "that'd be inappropriate", I think. In such a gender-divided culture you'd almost think such things would spring up kinda naturally, but maybe Basitin tradition is just too strong. Or judging by Alaric's example it might just be a thing that happens that nobody really acknowledges :P

Hubris
Traveler

#13 Post by Hubris »

ClockworkPanda wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:20 am Right? "Kid" is not something you usually call someone unless you're a pretty far way ahead of them on the age scale.
Nah, has less to do with age and more to do with (perceived) maturity level. I'll call someone older than me "kid" if they act like one.

Also, does no one want to talk about what this page maybe means for Maddie's sexuality? Did I miss a previous thread on it already? Basically there's two assumptions I'm now making based off her uneasiness and wording near the end:

1. Basitin society looks down on homosexual relationships and she's uncomfortable explaining that "two girls stroking ears would be inappropriate" because she comes from a very conservative society or
2. She's uncomfortable explaining it because she's in the closet.

Either way this page makes it sound like homosexuality is frowned upon among Basitins, not surprising for a conservative military society.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#14 Post by Eclipse »

Maddie knows what sex is? Could've fooled me.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#15 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Eclipse wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am Maddie knows what sex is? Could've fooled me.
Don't forget that in Basitin society, sex is something that is highly ordered and controlled and happens only at certain specific times of the year among married couples.
So it's plausible that while Madelyn knows about sex, she wouldn't immediately associate Trace and Flora going to bed together in the daytime with them *having sex*, since she's probably not used to the idea of people having sex out of wedlock and whenever they feel like it. It probably only later clicked for her: "oh right! they were having sex! *that's* why they were going to bed in the daytime. right. now I get it. I forgot how humans and Keidran just do it whenever".