The Keidran Language Thread

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

gertok9
Master

The Keidran Language Thread

#1 Post by gertok9 »

Come one, come all! Today shall mark the day when the production of a new language is started! I've had the idea for a while, but I knew it would take a ton of cooperation from the fans to do this. My goal is to create a language for the Keidran (and maybe the Basitin one day). Hey, if Star Trek did it, why can't we? So without further adieu: The Twokinds Keidran Language Project! Everyone's contributions are welcome. Any words that appear in the comic should be listed here and definitions should be created for them. I imagine Keidran to be a very growly dialect with many words based on middle eastern and African languages, so expect a lot of apostrophes.

Words so far
Ch'rall - Grass. Marlch'ren - Tree Cahrmehrs - ???. Ab'liun - ???. Ryuin Ar'liun - ???.

Our first goal should be to come up with words for numbers and/or an alphabet.

Side note: I might not be the best person to lead this project, seeing as how idk if this is even the right area to post this nor do I have any sort of Linguistics major.
Unofficial editor/proofreader of Twokinds
How triggered are you right now?

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

Re: The Keidran Language Thread

#2 Post by FrogSteaks »

You might want to take a look at this. I think there have been attempts to do such a thing, but so far, nothing has come to fruition. It would be interesting to see if you can actually pull this off.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

I think the reason for that is that a.) None of us linguist nerds have a full major in linguistics, and b.) these projects tend to get hung up on trying to get arbitrarily-designed words from the comic to fit into a nice system, which they generally don't.

That said, I'm totally willing to donate some work to this. It'll be a difficult thing to do well, but I'm on board!

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

gertok9
Master

#4 Post by gertok9 »

I'd love to get this kind of thing started, then have the entire community get behind it. Otherwise, there's literally no way to make this happen. The best way for that to happen is for it to gradually grow over the course of years and for that, the thread would have to be Stickied. And since I don't have the power to do that, we are left in the hands of our benevolent mods.
Unofficial editor/proofreader of Twokinds
How triggered are you right now?

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#5 Post by Myperson54 »

gertok9 wrote:I'd love to get this kind of thing started, then have the entire community get behind it. Otherwise, there's literally no way to make this happen. The best way for that to happen is for it to gradually grow over the course of years and for that, the thread would have to be Stickied. And since I don't have the power to do that, we are left in the hands of our benevolent mods.
I don't agree with the necessity of such a large scope, but it would be great to have a large community project indeed. That said, I think something like this would benefit more from a focused small group than a large group, given the propensity for large groups to be slow and pedantic over details. Stickies don't matter as long as the project is being actively updated; Newly posted-in threads are bumped to the top. Still, I'm glad to see you so interested in this.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Britta

#6 Post by Britta »

I've been doing some rereadig of the comic lately and I realized something in chapter seven, the night flora and trace had sex for the first time.
I think Raines mom (neutral I think her name was?) had something to do with it because she needed "some source of kiedren to live on".
Idk, I just though I'd being that up . I'm sure some one else might've noticed this or remembered this, but I just thought I'd speak up.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#7 Post by Bellhead »

1071-CCN wrote:
Myperson54 wrote:Stickies don't matter as long as the project is being actively updated; Newly posted-in threads are bumped to the top.
True. I've seen sticky threads become little more than background clutter, and non-stickies stay active for months and months.
I can vouch for that. If you want proof, look for the "Calling Natani A Girl" thread, and check the dates. T'was a sad day when that got locked...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Rainyredman1234

#8 Post by Rainyredman1234 »

Is this still going on?

iliar
Traveler

#9 Post by iliar »

Little fan fact about Keidran Language.
[21:05:34] <Tom> The Keidran language works the same way.
[21:05:50] <Tom> Or similar. All pronouns are gendered.
[21:06:29] <Tom> So there is a male and female "I" and "my"

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#10 Post by Technic[Bot] »

iliar wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:59 pm Little fan fact about Keidran Language.
That has to be problematic for sure...
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

NuclearBird
Master

#11 Post by NuclearBird »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:42 am
In more ways than one. I wouldn't know, since my native language only has gender neutral pronouns, but I can imagine the confusion that would cause.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#12 Post by Neptune »

NuclearBird wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 am
In more ways than one. I wouldn't know, since my native language only has gender neutral pronouns, but I can imagine the confusion that would cause.
What's your native language? Lithuanian (a heritage language I want to learn) has masculine and feminine.
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

NuclearBird
Master

#13 Post by NuclearBird »

Neptune wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:59 pm What's your native language? Lithuanian (a heritage language I want to learn) has masculine and feminine.
Hungarian. Pronouns are entirely genderless. No he/she/it, only person/object distinctions.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Neptune
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: the bear in my signature

#14 Post by Neptune »

NuclearBird wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm
Neptune wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:59 pm What's your native language? Lithuanian (a heritage language I want to learn) has masculine and feminine.
Hungarian. Pronouns are entirely genderless. No he/she/it, only person/object distinctions.
Praise magyarország, then. Finnish and most other Uralic languages have no gender distinction either, except for Veps if I'm not wrong.

Oh, so none of the Uralic languages have gender. Huh.
Image Haha, he's so tiny! Where is he going?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15 Post by Technic[Bot] »

NuclearBird wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 am

Spanihs is weird in that respect. Pronouns have gender but possesives don't. And every noun is gendered.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide