Comic for December 7, 2017: Manor Defenses

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for December 7, 2017: Manor Defenses

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Nora?! Why would you make something like that for him?! …That all I could think of on that matter.

Also, miner reference to that one episode of ‘The Twilight Zone’?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for December 7, 2017: Manor Defenses

#2 Post by Dadrobit »

The spell operates on intent of the intruder and the relative judgement of Trace. If he wouldn't let you in, you get transmogrified. This is honestly pretty dark if you think back to what his temperament was while he was Hitler and the potential of innocents becoming farm animals. It brings up some seriously scary implications even to present.

sotanaht
Traveler

#3 Post by sotanaht »

Nora kind of loves Trace, loved him even before his amnesia. She can't exactly be a "good" dragon for that to have been the case. In all likelihood she seems "good" now because she's following Trace's example because she still loves him

NuclearBird
Master

#4 Post by NuclearBird »

Aah, disturbing implications.
You can't help but love them in lieu of being scarred for life.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by TheMouse »

We do, sometimes, need reminders that despite Tom's bright colors and cheerfully anime-esque art style, Mekkan is an awful place to live.

More so if you're a jerk, currently, but generally awful in any case. This is not a cute and happy place where the animals come clean your house when you sing. This is a place where racism isn't even seen as a problem in general, where assassin is a respectable job title, and where not listening to the polite, matronly red-head can get you turned into livestock.

Seriously guys. You listen. Observe, think, listen, think, THEN act.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

amenon
Grand Templar

#6 Post by amenon »

Hmm. But Brahn would almost certainly know this. And also know that Trace isn't there right now. So either he didn't particularly like those guys, and is basically playing chess here by setting up to make use of this incident, or those are actually some more disguised wolves.

I think it'd be the latter. Clovis would certainly know to try and lean on Brahn's name here, but he wouldn't have any idea what to expect at the estate.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Tendo
Master

#7 Post by Tendo »

Dadrobit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 am The spell operates on intent of the intruder and the relative judgement of Trace. If he wouldn't let you in, you get transmogrified. This is honestly pretty dark if you think back to what his temperament was while he was Hitler and the potential of innocents becoming farm animals. It brings up some seriously scary implications even to present.
I suppose that depends on if the transformation is permanent, or if it's not what causes it to be reversed. Rose seemed shockingly nonchalant about it if it is indeed permanent or as dark as people implied, unless she hates the Templar that much.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#8 Post by tony1695 »

A thing to note is that Trace, as Grand Templar, would have been a High Value Target for assassination. He falls, the Templars fall to infighting for who gets to replace him. Just teleporting them away or straight-up killing doesn't send a strong enough message. Turning what was once a thinking, feeling being (human or Keidran) into a dumb farm animal, though?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Little Fox
Traveler

#9 Post by Little Fox »

Welp, when I first read this I thought Rose meant "Let's see where the spell dumped them". I was also confused because wouldn't two guys being dropped into the chicken coop scare the birds and result in fewer eggs.

Then I checked this thread out and... :shock:

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#10 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

TheMouse wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 am We do, sometimes, need reminders that despite Tom's bright colors and cheerfully anime-esque art style, Mekkan is an awful place to live.

More so if you're a jerk, currently, but generally awful in any case. This is not a cute and happy place where the animals come clean your house when you sing. This is a place where racism isn't even seen as a problem in general, where assassin is a respectable job title, and where not listening to the polite, matronly red-head can get you turned into livestock.

Seriously guys. You listen. Observe, think, listen, think, THEN act.
Yup.
Though to be fair, almost any fantasy world with magic is a really scary place when you consider the disturbing powers that people can obtain. I mean, putting aside all the social issues of Mekkan, the very fact that in that world it is possible for a sentient being to be turned into livestock is enough for me to be happy I don't live in that world.
It's like when people are like "I wish I could live in the Pokémon/Harry Potter/etc world". If you actually think about it, no, you kind of wouldn't want to.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by SpottedKitty »

BadFoMo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 am Also, miner reference to that one episode of ‘The Twilight Zone’?
Yep, I did have a bit of a reminder of "It's A Good Life" — the original story by Jerome Bixby — way creepier than any Twilight Zone episode could ever hope to be.

On third thoughts, though, doesn't it potentially put a slightly different slant on that line way back about trespassing critters in someone's field? If that wasn't the attacking team of Clovis and the fake Templars coming in through the Riftwall portal, maybe there was another attack planned on the Legacy estate?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

ClockworkPanda
Citizen

#12 Post by ClockworkPanda »

Nooo, not Beard Guy, he was my favorite! (;_;)

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Dadrobit »

Tendo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:55 am
Dadrobit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 am The spell operates on intent of the intruder and the relative judgement of Trace. If he wouldn't let you in, you get transmogrified. This is honestly pretty dark if you think back to what his temperament was while he was Hitler and the potential of innocents becoming farm animals. It brings up some seriously scary implications even to present.
I suppose that depends on if the transformation is permanent, or if it's not what causes it to be reversed. Rose seemed shockingly nonchalant about it if it is indeed permanent or as dark as people implied, unless she hates the Templar that much.
Another person in the chat (unsteddy) brought up the good point that it would require permanence, else-wise people would catch on very quick. The alternative that I could maybe see is the spell lasting only a period of time, followed by a memory wipe (and a gnarly headache).

And I could easily see Rose detesting them and becoming desensitized to horror; she literally lived with the dude who massacred untold thousands of her kind and furthered the adoption of harsher slavery laws in his reign.

(Side Note: Anyone else reminded of Home Alone? I'd like to think that Beard Man was based on Daniel Stern and their failed entry was a cute reference considering the time of year, but we don't get to see his cohort so I dunno, it could be totally coincidental)

HSishi
Citizen

#14 Post by HSishi »

That's quite a neat intruder repellent: Turning nasty visitors (and burglars, ofc!) into something which is of use for the owners.
Let's hope for chicken, so Rose can bake a nice cake :D .

On the other hand, the brains of fanatics seem to be unable to recognize a warning of a potentially life-treat. Must be the brain-wash so they complete their task whatever is in their way, including their own health and life :roll: .

Tendo
Master

#15 Post by Tendo »

tony1695 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 am A thing to note is that Trace, as Grand Templar, would have been a High Value Target for assassination. He falls, the Templars fall to infighting for who gets to replace him. Just teleporting them away or straight-up killing doesn't send a strong enough message. Turning what was once a thinking, feeling being (human or Keidran) into a dumb farm animal, though?
Well, that's another thing, it hasen't been made clear if their minds have been also turned into an animal or not, or if they are still themselves mentally.

I also would argue that straight-up killing would send a far stronger message than turning them into an animal, regardless though, the message would still be pretty damn obvious even if it wasn't permanent:
"Next time I could just leave you as an animal for the rest of your life"

I would say that's a pretty terrifying message.
Dadrobit wrote:Another person in the chat (unsteddy) brought up the good point that it would require permanence, else-wise people would catch on very quick. The alternative that I could maybe see is the spell lasting only a period of time, followed by a memory wipe (and a gnarly headache).

And I could easily see Rose detesting them and becoming desensitized to horror; she literally lived with the dude who massacred untold thousands of her kind and furthered the adoption of harsher slavery laws in his reign.

(Side Note: Anyone else reminded of Home Alone? I'd like to think that Beard Man was based on Daniel Stern and their failed entry was a cute reference considering the time of year, but we don't get to see his cohort so I dunno, it could be totally coincidental)
Yes, I thought about is Rose was just desensitized to it, but from how she acted previously, she seemed to act far too nonchalant about it for a spell that permanently turns people into brainless livestock, especially with how it's implied this happens often.