The Daily Beasts

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#976 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 am Sylvi shrugs uncertainly. "I've never been too good with reading horses, but they seem decent enough, right? But if want to given them some rest, maybe we could switch them out with Sven on rotation. He'd be a bit slower, but he never really gets tired, at least not like we do." she holds the bead containing Sven's spirit within her palm. "I mean, if you think that'd be enough to help them rest a little."
"I'd let Sven have a holiday for as long as possible. I mean.... yeah, that is exactly what I mean. I don't think these horses will last very long, and once they are gone there will only be two ways for us to carry all that we need; on our backs, or on Sven's back."
The Rookie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 amSylvi nods happily "It does actually. I mean, it's a shame I never made it down to ocean, but I don't know... " she twirls a fur tree twig in her off hand, seemingly absentmindedly. "I still got more than I could have imagined out of the trip." her warm expression drifting between the girls, and resting on Raimius.
He looks at Sylvi and laughs. "You were UNDER the Ocean! Ye frakking Gods, you were the first Wolf ever to do anything like that!" he hugs her and nuzzles the right side of her face, and her ear. "Of course, when we tell the tale, we will just forget about you being so drunk you would have left your tail behind if it wasn't attached."
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 am She stares at the key shape for a few moments. It seemed weird that a key would be on a dagger. She stared at the imprints, trying to make sense of them; when she fails to find any meaning, She put the handle back on, put the dagger away next to her original one. She tries to hide in her bundle of clothing (like a turtle) to escape from the cold.
The Dagger is a good one, the handle won't budge unless someone with fingers as small as yours are fiddling with it.
Rita rolls closer and tries to snuggle with the Fox, and it is actually a very good way to conserve heat in this situation.
The Rookie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 amOnce the work on the fire begins, Sylvi disappears back into the woods to gather more long logs, several of which seem rather green. “Right, so since we’re stay out here tonight, I’d suggest we build a heat trap. If we keep our back to the wagon, and reflectors on the opposite side of the fire we can create a toasty zone for the three of you. Maybe even run some blankets down the side like curtains?”
"Oh.... right. A reflector... why didn't I think of that?"
And true to his word, Raimius will be deferring to Sylvi on these matters from now on.

((and let's forget about fodder and other issues that would slow us down on technical matters. Enough of that, I want to get to the drama. but there is one thing; ))

"Okay, a day or two more with the Coach, for conveniance. But what has me worried is how easy might be to track, and how much harder it would be to follow us once we dump it and cut a couple of horses loose."
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 amShe stood up almost instantly and spoke with enthusiasm. "I will help in any way I can if it means less cold." She means it as well, as long as she is actually capable of completing the task given.
And of course Rita bounces right up as well. For some reason, her biological clock is making her wide-awake and full of vigor in the middle of the night, now.

"Aright then, there are two things we must do. Annaria, you can help us push the coach here. It isn't all that heavy, and you won't be pushing. I need you to lift the tounge and steer that thing where we want it to go." He looks up into the tree. "And we need to remove one of those branches. With all this new wood, we need a way for the smoke to escape-" And he is still looking up when Rita takes a running leap at the tree, and is higher than Raimius can reach before he sees what she is doing!

"Hells bells... be careful!" Rita just giggles and continues to climb. "On second thought, Ann, maybe you should stay here, and try to make sure she does not break her neck."
he shakes his head and turns to Sylvi. "One of her hobbies, and I forgot. She spent a lot of time with the Tumblers."

Once the adults leave to deal with the coach, Rita breaks a branch and lets it hang, coughing a little as the smoke clears. And then, just to show off, she hangs upside down from a branch and waves to Annaria.
"Hey, our first alone-time for a long while! So tell me, Ann, how do you like us so far?"

Not the journey, but the people themselves. She still has the forthright directness of a child in some ways.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#977 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 am "I'd let Sven have a holiday for as long as possible. I mean.... yeah, that is exactly what I mean. I don't think these horses will last very long, and once they are gone there will only be two ways for us to carry all that we need; on our backs, or on Sven's back."
Seeing it from this point of view, Sylvi agrees it’d be better to save Sven for when he’s needed most. Besides, with Sven in the team, Raimius would probably be forced to hand over control of the reigns to Sylvi given the proximity of his abilities likely over lapping that of the horses.
Phaing wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 am He looks at Sylvi and laughs. "You were UNDER the Ocean! Ye frakking Gods, you were the first Wolf ever to do anything like that!" he hugs her and nuzzles the right side of her face, and her ear. "Of course, when we tell the tale, we will just forget about you being so drunk you would have left your tail behind if it wasn't attached."
“Urgh... Please don’t remind me...” she grumbles in his ear. Rather than return his warm gesture, her arms are simply laying down by her sides; her general expression mildly sour. “Next time, I’m staying above water, and you can sit shoulder to shoulder with smelly sailors...”

After a moment, she relents and places an arm around his lower back, letting out a conceding sigh. “Alright, you’re very cute, but we’ve got work to do. Hop to it.”
Phaing wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 am ((and let's forget about fodder and other issues that would slow us down on technical matters. Enough of that, I want to get to the drama. but there is one thing; ))
((Fair enough, drama away.))
Phaing wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 am "One of her hobbies, and I forgot. She spent a lot of time with the Tumblers."
Sylvi can’t help but let slip a muffled laugh. “She’s an adventurous one, I’ll give her that.” She’ll gently grasp Raimius’ wrist if he’s too focused watching the young princess climbing higher and higher. “Don’t worry. I can fix most cuts and scrapes in a jiffy. There’s nothing she can do to herself that I can’t undo.” she says leading lightly on his shoulder. “Weellll, anything but death. Can’t cure that yet.” she adds bluntly for comedic effect.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#978 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 am And of course Rita bounces right up as well. For some reason, her biological clock is making her wide-awake and full of vigor in the middle of the night, now.

"Aright then, there are two things we must do. Annaria, you can help us push the coach here. It isn't all that heavy, and you won't be pushing. I need you to lift the tounge and steer that thing where we want it to go." He looks up into the tree. "And we need to remove one of those branches. With all this new wood, we need a way for the smoke to escape-" And he is still looking up when Rita takes a running leap at the tree, and is higher than Raimius can reach before he sees what she is doing!

"Hells bells... be careful!" Rita just giggles and continues to climb. "On second thought, Ann, maybe you should stay here, and try to make sure she does not break her neck."
he shakes his head and turns to Sylvi. "One of her hobbies, and I forgot. She spent a lot of time with the Tumblers."
She stands by, ready to catch Rita if she falls, though she's worried a young fox won't be able to do much to break the fall of her if she does fall. She did, however, watch carefully as she might learn a thing or two by watching as Rita seemed pretty good at climbing trees.

Phaing wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 amOnce the adults leave to deal with the coach, Rita breaks a branch and lets it hang, coughing a little as the smoke clears. And then, just to show off, she hangs upside down from a branch and waves to Annaria.
"Hey, our first alone-time for a long while! So tell me, Ann, how do you like us so far?"

Not the journey, but the people themselves. She still has the forthright directness of a child in some ways.
She waves back.
"Well, it's better than being alone, and you all haven't tried to kill me yet; that's always a plus." She let out a little chuckle. "You're all great. Might be a good thing to get used to instead of wandering aimlessly alone across the continent." She shrugged. "I might just decide to stay with you all for as long as I live."

Phaing
Master

#979 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm After a moment, she relents and places an arm around his lower back, letting out a conceding sigh. “Alright, you’re very cute, but we’ve got work to do. Hop to it.”
"Yes ma'am!" and then he blinks. "You may be the only person that ever called me 'cute'."
The Rookie wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pmSylvi can’t help but let slip a muffled laugh. “She’s an adventurous one, I’ll give her that.” She’ll gently grasp Raimius’ wrist if he’s too focused watching the young princess climbing higher and higher. “Don’t worry. I can fix most cuts and scrapes in a jiffy. There’s nothing she can do to herself that I can’t undo.” she says leading lightly on his shoulder. “Weellll, anything but death. Can’t cure that yet.” she adds bluntly for comedic effect.
"If we fall through the ice, death may be just the cure we need." He grunts as he man-handles the coach, with Sylvi steering. "I have heard horror-stories about what happens next, the survivors are few and they generally lost fingers and toes. Whew!"
Once they are done, he gives her a hug and sighs; "Lets get one thing straight; You are the cute one. I'm the ruggedly handsome yet non-descript fellow that makes a career out of saving damsels in distress. Got it?"
Sly winks are included, free of charge.

DarkTheImmortal wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:47 am She waves back.
"Well, it's better than being alone, and you all haven't tried to kill me yet; that's always a plus." She let out a little chuckle. "You're all great. Might be a good thing to get used to instead of wandering aimlessly alone across the continent." She shrugged. "I might just decide to stay with you all for as long as I live."
"Really?"
Rita swings down from one branch to the next and finally lands by sliding down the rump of one surprised horse.
"Nobody I know is going to try to kill you, I don't let anyone hurt my friends." Big sigh. "Not if I can help it, anyways. Sylvi talks about her home all the time, it sounds so nice I'm sure you will love it there."
She does the hug too, and giggles. "And with that big ol' knife of yours, I don't think anyone would have an easy time of killing you! I really should get busy on that sheath... tomorrow."

Later that night, hoofbeats can be heard passing by on the roadway. They didn't stop to investigate you, which may mean you weren't spotted or they had no interest in you... but Raimius is not appeased.
"Instead of hunting us, they could be setting an ambush for us up ahead." he says the next morning. "Unless any of you have a better idea, I want to abandon the road tomorrow, and that means abandoning the Coach, too. Strike overland, make for the river, and then--"

"And then, the great Skate-ships of Alaniis!" Rita chirps happily. Then she glances at Sylvi and Annaria. "What, you never heard of them?"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#980 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:"If we fall through the ice, death may be just the cure we need." He grunts as he man-handles the coach, with Sylvi steering. "I have heard horror-stories about what happens next, the survivors are few and they generally lost fingers and toes. Whew!"
Sylvi nods in agreeance. "Yeah, real nightmarish stuff if it's left too long... Even I'll get squeamish looking over frost burnt paw pads, or blackened ears..." She'd pause every so often to check she wasn't accidentally making the task harder on Raimius by multitasking. "You'd think humans would be the worse off, given the lack of fur; but this stuff is a double edged sword." she mumbles pinching at her forearm. "Sure it keeps us warm when its dry, but once it's water logged it's almost a death sentence. At least you have the option to strip down and dry out relatively quickly."
Phaing wrote:Once they are done, he gives her a hug and sighs; "Lets get one thing straight; You are the cute one. I'm the ruggedly handsome yet non-descript fellow that makes a career out of saving damsels in distress. Got it?"
Sly winks are included, free of charge.
Well, that certainly achieves a great deal of laughter, although that may just be at Raimius' own expense. "Someone thinks quite highly of themselves, eh?" Sylvi giggles as she pats his cheek twice before turning away. She only takes about half a step before looking back over her shoulder. "Besides.." she says with a mischievous grin before letting herself fall back wards, presumably into his arms. "Since when have I ever been a 'damsel in distress' in need of rescue?"
Phaing wrote:"Instead of hunting us, they could be setting an ambush for us up ahead." he says the next morning. "Unless any of you have a better idea, I want to abandon the road tomorrow, and that means abandoning the Coach, too. Strike overland, make for the river, and then--"

"And then, the great Skate-ships of Alaniis!" Rita chirps happily. Then she glances at Sylvi and Annaria. "What, you never heard of them?"
Sylvi shakes her head. "I've... Never heard that phrase before...", looking to Ana hoping she'd shed some light on what Rita meant.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#981 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 am "Really?"
Rita swings down from one branch to the next and finally lands by sliding down the rump of one surprised horse.
"Nobody I know is going to try to kill you, I don't let anyone hurt my friends." Big sigh. "Not if I can help it, anyways. Sylvi talks about her home all the time, it sounds so nice I'm sure you will love it there."
She does the hug too, and giggles. "And with that big ol' knife of yours, I don't think anyone would have an easy time of killing you! I really should get busy on that sheath... tomorrow."
"Well it's always good to hear someone won't kill me given what I've been through. I just hope the people of Sylvi's village are the same way." She shrugged and pulled out her dagger. " Though It doesn't help anyone that tries to kill me that I've been training with this almost my entire life." She makes a few stabbing and slicing motions at the nearest tree then puts it away. "And that sheath sounds nice, easier to grab for a quicker strike."
Phaing wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 amLater that night, hoofbeats can be heard passing by on the roadway. They didn't stop to investigate you, which may mean you weren't spotted or they had no interest in you... but Raimius is not appeased.
"Instead of hunting us, they could be setting an ambush for us up ahead." he says the next morning. "Unless any of you have a better idea, I want to abandon the road tomorrow, and that means abandoning the Coach, too. Strike overland, make for the river, and then--"

The Rookie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 pmSylvi shakes her head. "I've... Never heard that phrase before...", looking to Ana hoping she'd shed some light on what Rita meant.
"The what of where? I've never heard of that either. Then again all of this.." She waves her arms around to indicate the area they're in "is new to me. If it's less likely to get ambushed by enemies, real, and get to a warm place faster, I'm in." She was not obviously keen to the idea of walking, but it was better than dying for now.

Phaing
Master

#982 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 pm "Sure it keeps us warm when its dry, but once it's water logged it's almost a death sentence. At least you have the option to strip down and dry out relatively quickly."
"Oh.... [censored]."
He looks a bit ill for a moment. "Um, yeah, that might be a problem... I'll explain later."
The Rookie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 pm"Besides.." she says with a mischievous grin before letting herself fall back wards, presumably into his arms. "Since when have I ever been a 'damsel in distress' in need of rescue?"
"What, you mean lately?"
Oh, she never has to worry about him not catching her.
(the snow isn't very deep yet, so...)

DarkTheImmortal wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 pm "Well it's always good to hear someone won't kill me given what I've been through. I just hope the people of Sylvi's village are the same way." She shrugged and pulled out her dagger. " Though It doesn't help anyone that tries to kill me that I've been training with this almost my entire life." She makes a few stabbing and slicing motions at the nearest tree then puts it away. "And that sheath sounds nice, easier to grab for a quicker strike."
"What kind of sheath would you like then?" Rita's eyes go a little wide. "Oh wow... you are pretty good with that thing! You should practice with Ramius, he's good with knives too. But, he would insist on Wooden practice knives. I don't think we have any of those."
The Rookie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 pmSylvi shakes her head. "I've... Never heard that phrase before...", looking to Ana hoping she'd shed some light on what Rita meant.
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 pm"The what of where? I've never heard of that either. Then again all of this.." She waves her arms around to indicate the area they're in "is new to me. If it's less likely to get ambushed by enemies, real, and get to a warm place faster, I'm in." She was not obviously keen to the idea of walking, but it was better than dying for now.

Rita ignores a wave from Raimius and launches right into it with bright eyes and a brighter smile.
"They are fantastic! I have seen models but never the real thing; its like a ship but since the river is frozen they jack it up and put hugs ice-skates on it so they can sail it over the ice. They must go very fast... I mean VERY fast if the wind is right. WHOOOOooooossshhh they go. Its going to be amazing, the only thing that could go wrong is the ice breaking since it is kinda early, but since it is a ship it will just float so that's like nothing.... what?!"
That last word was at Raimius.
"Nothing.... nothing, your country-girl accent is coming along nicely, by the way." And he turns to Sylvi and Annaria, trying not to grind his teeth together. He's having trouble looking Sylvi in the eyes. "So.... yeah .... that has been our plan all along. If we catch it right, we can leave anyone following us at least a week behind us, even if they try the same thing. But, if you have a problem with this idea, we could try something else."

For visual-
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#983 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:"Oh.... [censored]."
He looks a bit ill for a moment. "Um, yeah, that might be a problem... I'll explain later."
Sylvi crooks head head slightly to the side. "You alright, hon?" she ask in her soft worried voice. "If you're worried about... Smells.. Ana and I can boil some water for washing." pausing to sniff the inner collar her shirt, and grimacing with what she finds. "Mask knows we'll need to, but taking a dip in a river isn't an option I'm afraid."
Phaing wrote:"What, you mean lately?"
She rolls her eyes and taps the end of his nose light with her index finger. "It doesn't count if you were some how responsible for the distress, you know?" she teases. "Kind of defeats the point, hmm?"
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 pm"The what of where? I've never heard of that either. Then again all of this.." She waves her arms around to indicate the area they're in "is new to me. If it's less likely to get ambushed by enemies, real, and get to a warm place faster, I'm in." She was not obviously keen to the idea of walking, but it was better than dying for now.
Sylvi kind of withdraws from Ana after that statement, giving a nervous chuckle and rubbing the back of her neck. It's rather apparent that she was realising now how foolish her question seemed in hindsight.

Phaing wrote:Rita ignores a wave from Raimius and launches right into it with bright eyes and a brighter smile.
"They are fantastic! I have seen models but never the real thing; its like a ship but since the river is frozen they jack it up and put hugs ice-skates on it so they can sail it over the ice. They must go very fast... I mean VERY fast if the wind is right. WHOOOOooooossshhh they go. Its going to be amazing, the only thing that could go wrong is the ice breaking since it is kinda early, but since it is a ship it will just float so that's like nothing.... what?!"
"Nothing.... nothing, your country-girl accent is coming along nicely, by the way." And he turns to Sylvi and Annaria, trying not to grind his teeth together. He's having trouble looking Sylvi in the eyes. "So.... yeah .... that has been our plan all along. If we catch it right, we can leave anyone following us at least a week behind us, even if they try the same thing. But, if you have a problem with this idea, we could try something else."
Sylvi seems surprised why Raimius would think she'd be against the idea. "No~? I don't see anything wrong wi-... Oh... Icy water..." she mumbles. "That's why you seemed so worried earlier, hmm?" she ask, but simply shrugs before Raimius can spit out an answer. "I mean, like Rita said, they float, right?" seeming rather optimistic about this for the moment. "Worst case scenario, we'll get stuck out in the lake for a few hours, or maybe have to disembark and walk the rest of the way. Nothing wrong with that."

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#984 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 amWhat kind of sheath would you like then?"
"What kind of sheath?" She pauses for a moment, thinking. "Well, I'd like it to be well hidden so I can pull off the innocent little girl act, or at least make it seem I'm unarmed. Better to attack someone if they think you have nothing. It would also have to be easily accessible too... " She rubs her hands together for warmth. "I don't know if there are specific kinds of sheaths that have specific names you're asking me for, but if any of them fit that criteria it'd be perfect."
Phaing wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 amRita's eyes go a little wide. "Oh wow... you are pretty good with that thing! You should practice with Ramius, he's good with knives too. But, he would insist on Wooden practice knives. I don't think we have any of those."
She smiles. "Thank you. Like I said I've practiced for most of my life and probably saved it multiple times. And I would love to practice against him..." She leans in for a whisper. "If he doesn't mind losing." She leans back out with a wink while chuckling. "I wouldn't want to use a real blade against a living practice target either. Doesn't help if you're already cut up going into the fight. Anyways..." She points to a tree branch. "Though crude, sticks would make quick decent training daggers."
Phaing wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 amRita ignores a wave from Raimius and launches right into it with bright eyes and a brighter smile.
The Rookie wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:19 pm Sylvi seems surprised why Raimius would think she'd be against the idea. "No~? I don't see anything wrong wi-... Oh... Icy water..." she mumbles. "That's why you seemed so worried earlier, hmm?" she ask, but simply shrugs before Raimius can spit out an answer. "I mean, like Rita said, they float, right?" seeming rather optimistic about this for the moment. "Worst case scenario, we'll get stuck out in the lake for a few hours, or maybe have to disembark and walk the rest of the way. Nothing wrong with that."
Anaraia was smile during Rita's speech because of her enthusiasm. She speaks as if Rita's enthusiasm is contagious. "They sound amazing, and kinda fun. Let's do it!" She looks to Raimius and sees the worry and listens to what Sylvi. "Not to mention it's the best option we got. The horses and coach are too dangerous with what we heard from the road, walking all the way will take a very long time."

Phaing
Master

#985 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:19 pm...Sylvi seems surprised why Raimius would think she'd be against the idea. "No~? I don't see anything wrong wi-... Oh... Icy water..." she mumbles. "That's why you seemed so worried earlier, hmm?" she ask, but simply shrugs before Raimius can spit out an answer. "I mean, like Rita said, they float, right?" seeming rather optimistic about this for the moment. "Worst case scenario, we'll get stuck out in the lake for a few hours, or maybe have to disembark and walk the rest of the way. Nothing wrong with that."
"Yeah... who said I had any problem with the way you smell?" He casts a baleful eye at Rita, but is very relieved to hear that Sylvi and Annaria are ready to go along with this plan.
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 am "I don't know if there are specific kinds of sheaths that have specific names you're asking me for, but if any of them fit that criteria it'd be perfect."
"Well, I mean, where will it be? If you want to hide something like this, it would have to lay along your back, under your coat. Would you like it right side up so you can grab it from inside your collar, or upside down so you can reach it with your hands behind your back?"

"That later one is tricky, you need to have a good restraint on it to keep it from falling out." Raimius reminds her. "Why do with concealed at all? Not many folks around here."
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 amAnaraia was smile during Rita's speech because of her enthusiasm. She speaks as if Rita's enthusiasm is contagious. "They sound amazing, and kinda fun. Let's do it!" She looks to Raimius and sees the worry and listens to what Sylvi. "Not to mention it's the best option we got. The horses and coach are too dangerous with what we heard from the road, walking all the way will take a very long time."
It is settled then.

((I lost my map, does anyone have the link to it?))

The morning of the next day, Raimius cuts half the team loose and sends them back to town with a slap to the withers. "They should make it back home, unless there is another storm or something."
The Coach is emptied of everything useful {if you have a specific want, now is the time} and Raimius does not think the chains are going to be as useful as they are heavy.

The Coach's final resting place will be a deep, narrow ravine that is frosted with snow and ice... Raimius and Rita have no interest in getting close enough to see what is at the bottom of it. With a shove, the coach rolls down a gentle slope, then picks up speed as it does sailing over the edge. You hear a resounding crash as the thing splinters on impact with the rocky bottom, and then a roar echoes from down below.
Whatever is down there, it is huge, and it is really upset.
"A Bear?" Raimius whispers.
"Who cares!" Rita cries out. "Lets just get out of here!"

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#986 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:((I lost my map, does anyone have the link to it?))
(( Here you go. https://orig08.deviantart.net/6a1b/f/20 ... 4wjhd0.jpg ))
Phaing wrote:The Coach is emptied of everything useful {if you have a specific want, now is the time} and Raimius does not think the chains are going to be as useful as they are heavy.
{Don't mind if I do.} Sylvi doesn't hesitate to scavenge from the piles of interesting goods left laying about; carelessly throwing pieces of junk and non practical riches left right and centre across the remains of the camp as she does.

Having very little need of human boots or pants, Sylvi forgoes most items of clothing with two exceptions. The first being several belt; perfect for making improvised harnesses, bandoliers or tourniquets should the need arise. She wraps two around her waist for ease of access, while two more are rolled up into tight balls for storage.
The second item of clothing Syvli finds herself drawn to one of the many warmer jackets that Ana had spent the night hording to herself. It's not quite as warm as her current one, but it is a lot more water resistant thanks to it's outer layers of leather. Should come in handy if it rains, need some fresh clothes, or need an emergency tarp.

Additionally, she grabs one of the emptied travel packs, using it to more easily carry some of the food stuffs they'd stolen on their way out; along with the case of 'White Witch's kiss'. As a weapon or medical aid, she refuses to leave it behind.

Content with what she'd found, she happily leaves the remains for the others to do with as they please.

Phaing wrote:The Coach's final resting place will be a deep, narrow ravine that is frosted with snow and ice... Raimius and Rita have no interest in getting close enough to see what is at the bottom of it. With a shove, the coach rolls down a gentle slope, then picks up speed as it does sailing over the edge. You hear a resounding crash as the thing splinters on impact with the rocky bottom, and then a roar echoes from down below.
((Now, sorry to break the pacing here; but can Sylvi tell what kind of creature it is from the roar? Bears, ferals, large cats, wolves and alike she'd be able to recognise and respond accordingly. However, if it's something a bit more... Supernatural, say a dragon or troll of some sort, then I feel she'd agree with high tailing it out of there S:P))

Sylvi is quick to clamp a hand tight around Rita's mouth to prevent her from shouting any further, hushing her sternly. "Do you want it to find us?!" she whispers in an aggravated tone; needing a moment to cool before readdressing the young girl in a slightly more 'polite' tone of voice. "There's a good chance it can out run us, so I'd suggest we leave very very quietly, alright?" looking for a sign of understanding, a nod or some such before she slowly removes her hand.

Phaing
Master

#987 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pm ((Now, sorry to break the pacing here; but can Sylvi tell what kind of creature it is from the roar? Bears, ferals, large cats, wolves and alike she'd be able to recognise and respond accordingly. However, if it's something a bit more... Supernatural, say a dragon or troll of some sort, then I feel she'd agree with high tailing it out of there S:P))
Oh, right!
Thanks for the reminder.
It is a Bear, a big one, and the crash just jolted it out of its hibernation.

Feel free to post again if this changes anything.

-George Bernard Shaw

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#988 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

(I can't think of anything for the coach, so I'll just go to the bear)
Phaing wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:25 pmand then a roar echoes from down below.
The Rookie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pmSylvi is quick to clamp a hand tight around Rita's mouth to prevent her from shouting any further, hushing her sternly. "Do you want it to find us?!" she whispers in an aggravated tone; needing a moment to cool before readdressing the young girl in a slightly more 'polite' tone of voice. "There's a good chance it can out run us, so I'd suggest we leave very very quietly, alright?" looking for a sign of understanding, a nod or some such before she slowly removes her hand.
When she heard the roar, Anaraia jumped a little bit and let out a small yip. She was not expecting that at all. She quickly took out her dagger, held it at the ready, and stared in the direction of the ravine and slowly backed up trying not to make any noise.
She spoke in a hushed voice. "Yes, quiet, I can do that, no need to bring that thing here. I've never fought a bear, and personally I'd like to keep it that way."

Phaing
Master

#989 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pmContent with what she'd found, she happily leaves the remains for the others to do with as they please.
So noted, and anything not taken is stuffed back into the Coach, and shut tightly before it is pushed away. We don't want any litter left behind that is visible to anyone that isn't going down into the ravine.
The Rookie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pmSylvi is quick to clamp a hand tight around Rita's mouth to prevent her from shouting any further, hushing her sternly. "Do you want it to find us?!" she whispers in an aggravated tone; needing a moment to cool before readdressing the young girl in a slightly more 'polite' tone of voice. "There's a good chance it can out run us, so I'd suggest we leave very very quietly, alright?" looking for a sign of understanding, a nod or some such before she slowly removes her hand.
Rita nods. "Sorry!" comes out as a whisper, barely audible over the roars.
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:02 amWhen she heard the roar, Anaraia jumped a little bit and let out a small yip. She was not expecting that at all. She quickly took out her dagger, held it at the ready, and stared in the direction of the ravine and slowly backed up trying not to make any noise.
She spoke in a hushed voice. "Yes, quiet, I can do that, no need to bring that thing here. I've never fought a bear, and personally I'd like to keep it that way."
"Then lead your horses away from here. Don't run!" Raimius has a quiet intensity to him now, a sort of mechanical economy of motion that indicates the opposite of panic. Once he thinks you are far enough away that the Bear won't hear heavy hoofbeats, he says; "Mount up!"

One problem is that you don't have saddles.
Blankets tied over the horses is the best you can do, and there is also all the cargo you have strapped to their rumps. Your mobility has changed, since leaving the Coach. You are slower, no getting around that, but you gain the advantage of being able to leave roads and even trails behind. Walking ahead of the horse and leading it, you can negotiate dense forest or jumbled terrain.
And walking the horses will be a welcome change after you have spent enough time riding without a saddle.

You have covered a few miles when you hear the sound of small trees being splintered behind you, and the bellow of the Bear again, far behind you.

Raimius turns from side to side, looking for a way to throw the Bear off the trail. "Sylvi? Our goal is Lake Fawn, still a few days away. I have no idea if anything but more forest is between us and the Lake... what should we do?"

Rita and Annaria are riding together, and Rita huffs a little impatiently while the adults are talking. "They won't let me to anything important." She does not show any grumpiness or frustration to Sylvi or Raimius, they have enough to worry about, but venting a little with Annaria seems safe enough. "What about you? I know this isn't your kind of forest, but you are a Fox, the cleverest of all Keidran, right? I bet you can get used to it faster than they think. Maybe we can go scouting ahead and find a short-cut to the lake?"

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#990 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Rita nods. "Sorry!" comes out as a whisper, barely audible over the roars.
”Uh-ah!” Sylvi catches Rita as she speaks; pressing her finger to her lips while miming a hushing sound.
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:02 amWhen she heard the roar, Anaraia jumped a little bit and let out a small yip. She was not expecting that at all. She quickly took out her dagger, held it at the ready, and stared in the direction of the ravine and slowly backed up trying not to make any noise.
Sylvi looks to the vixen’s daggers and just shakes her head disapprovingly. In order to use those blades, Ana would have to be within arm's reach of the creature, which in this case, would mean it'd be able to tare her asunder.
Phaing wrote:"Then lead your horses away from here. Don't run!" Raimius has a quiet intensity to him now, a sort of mechanical economy of motion that indicates the opposite of panic. Once he thinks you are far enough away that the Bear won't hear heavy hoofbeats, he says; "Mount up!"
Sylvi grabs Rita around the waist and lifts her atop her steed. “Girls, both of you out front.” she orders in a fluster while fussing over both Rita and her mount.

“<Anaraia, Raimius and I are going to lag behind in case the beast tries to follow us out. You keep going no matter what you hear, alright? Don’t stop, don’t hide and don’t come back looking for us, alright?>” Sylvi is trying her best not to sound terrified, but there’s a tremble in her Kiedran she hoped Rita won’t be able to distinguish from her normal speech.
Her eyes pass over to the daggers and she visibly winces “<They won’t do anything, alright, hon? You can’t get too close to these things; at least not without spear or pike of some sort...>”

With Rita all set, Sylvi mounts her horse and leads it alongside Raimius as the two girls take the lead.
Phaing wrote:You have covered a few miles when you hear the sound of small trees being splintered behind you, and the bellow of the Bear again, far behind you.
Raimius turns from side to side, looking for a way to throw the Bear off the trail. "Sylvi? Our goal is Lake Fawn, still a few days away. I have no idea if anything but more forest is between us and the Lake... what should we do?"
“We can’t out run it forever, and it’d find us if we tried to hide... We need some kind of...” Sylvi pauses as she looks down to her mount. “Distraction...”

Without hesitation, Sylvi dismounts her horse and begins frantically untying anything and everything of use from its back. “I’d hate to do this girl, but it might be the only way.” she mumbles while patting her mare along the length of her neck. “Predators aren’t like hunters, they’re not after a challenge; they just want an easy meal.” she explains as she draws her spear from one of the packs. “Injured and isolated prey is less likely to put up a fight.” she pauses as she lines up the tip of her spear to the mare’s hip. “So let’s give it something easier to chase.”

With that, Sylvi plunges her spear head deep into the animal’s leg; its agonising bellow ringing out for all to hear as it bolts off into the wilderness, leaving a crimson red train behind it for all to follow.