Fall Writing Competition 2016

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

Fall Writing Competition 2016

#1 Post by JediGuy »

You thought I forgot about ya, didn't I?
I swear I didn't I love you all
It's that time of year again! Yes the 6th annual
FALL WRITING COMPETITION

Please read this whole post, even if you've participated in the contest before! Things are a-changing!

Let's kick it off with grading changes - the previous system has been a little vague on how we grade, and I'd like to try and clear it up as much as possible. Ergo, the four areas of grading are thus:

I) Writing Skill - How well you can write, simple enough. Things like proper use of grammar, punctuation, using complete sentences and the like. This is the 'crunchy granola' of the grading scale.

II) Creativity - How creative you are with your writing. Whether this means taking an existing idea and giving it a new twist, coming up with something new, or taking us in unexpected directions. Everyone's read about the knight who fought the dragon and saved the girl; entice us.

III) World-Building - How invested we are in the story and world that we're in. This is a combination of the previous grading points of involvement and description. In essence, does the world, setting, or even the room that your story takes place in feel natural, alive - or are there just two voices talking in a blank white box?

IV) Investment - The last of the two 'new' additions to our grading roster, investment is just as it sounds. You can have a rich world with interesting characters, but if there's no hook, no reason for someone to get past the first page, something needs to be changed. What is it you're providing to keep us reading to the end, and leave us wanting more?

So after all that, the grading system is the same. Each criteria will be graded on a scale of 1-10, giving a total score of X/40 possible points. The highest total score is the winner!

And what do they win? Well...
Tom wrote:Yeah sure, I'm still up for the sketch reward.
~Tom
You heard it here first, folks.

Grand prize is, obviously, a lovely sketch commission from our glorious leader. First runner-up will receive a live audio version of their story, read and performed by yours truly with as much flare and bravado as I can muster.

In place of a third-place winner, we're going to be doing something special - we're going to let YOU, the forum, decide a third winner! Aside from the Grand-Prize and First Runner-Up winners, there will also be a Community Vote winner, decided after all entries have been submitted. Everyone only gets one vote - and before you ask, yes, the community vote winner can also be one of the aforementioned two winners. It doesn't award anything but some esteem.

Now, for a few last pieces of information:

** The writing competition will last from Tuesday, November 1st - Wednesday, November 30th at 10PM Eastern US Time. A decision on grading and prizes will be made by Sunday, December 18th at the latest.
** Pieces should be submitted in their own thread, in the following format: [FWC 16] Title of Story
** Users may submit multiple pieces should they so choose, up to a maximum of two (2). However, for the purposes of prizes, only one prize may be awarded per contestant.
** Works with adult themes (swearing, excessive violence, gore, sexual events) should be marked with an 'NSFW' tag in their thread title.
** While there is no hard-set limit on submission length, please keep in mind that the judges are just human. Please keep the submission within 'short story' range.
** Poetry is allowed.
** Submissions are allowed to be editing as often as the author wishes to prior to closing. At closing, each submission will be copied as-is and considered its final format.
** Users are encouraged to comment on other contestants' submissions.
** Any contest-related discussion, questions, and comments should be kept in this thread.
** Submissions may exist in the setting of a pre-established work, but keep in mind that the reader may be new to your world.

Finally, on the subject of judging: I am looking for 2 volunteers to join me in judging the competition this year. Yes, I am stepping back into the ring - this is my baby and I'll see it delivered. We will also do our best to hold ourselves to a respectable, reasonable timetable.

If you have any questions, please voice them here. Good luck everyone, and lets have some fun!
2016 Entries wrote: Inner Demons by Jarlath
Change by red.wolf
Fighter by Welsh Halfwif
The Return of Harvest Moon by Welsh Halfwit
2020 by HugMePlz
The Modern Moreau by anonfox123
Friend by unsteadypheonix
Ascension by MyPerson54
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: Fall Writing Competition 2016

#2 Post by Myperson54 »

This is my fourth year on the forums and I've not once made a serious effort to participate in this competition. (I don't count that terrible entry I put in a few years back) I think it's time to change my self-deprecating habits and write my butt off. Prepare yourselves!

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Hayate
The Hidden User

#3 Post by Hayate »

Do I have to have it on here as I'm writing it? Or could I just upload it just before the deadline?
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Warrl
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Warrl »

Hayate wrote:Do I have to have it on here as I'm writing it? Or could I just upload it just before the deadline?
Its status as of the deadline is what matters.

That said, if you post it here at least a few days before the deadline, it's possible someone will point out some problems that would be easy to fix - and you'll have time to do so.

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#5 Post by JediGuy »

Warrl wrote:
Hayate wrote:Do I have to have it on here as I'm writing it? Or could I just upload it just before the deadline?

That said, if you post it here at least a few days before the deadline, it's possible someone will point out some problems that would be easy to fix - and you'll have time to do so.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#6 Post by Myperson54 »

JediGuy wrote:
Warrl wrote:

So basically, treat it like a school project. Submit early and revise.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#7 Post by Hayate »

Warrl wrote:

I was just wondering, because if I do write something and don't like it I would rather just not have anyone read it in the first place.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#8 Post by Myperson54 »

Hayate wrote:
Warrl wrote:

I was just wondering, because if I do write something and don't like it I would rather just not have anyone read it in the first place.
Good writing doesn't come from nothing! Relish the opportunity to have your work open to criticism, and from there, improvement!

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by Ketzal »

Woo! Was looking forward to this event. I've already got a great story in mind :D

Having said that though, I'm also open to volunteering if you don't end up having enough judges for whatever reason.

unsteddyPhoenix
Grand Templar

#10 Post by unsteddyPhoenix »

Oh yeah, this thing! I'm interested. :kathrin:

Dont have the confidence/skill to judge though. Hope you get some people 'cause this is great motivation.
Tom wrote:The entire Basitin race is actually just a group of extremist LARPers.
ImageImage

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#11 Post by JediGuy »

Let the games begin! Good luck, everyone.

Vallis

#12 Post by Vallis »

I lost first place by a single point last year. This year, I won't have first place stolen from me. >:)
I don't wanna be the hamburger that gets cooked.

Shar
Citizen

#13 Post by Shar »

This looks like fun :)

I shall submit a short story if time and concentration allow!

Welsh halfwit
Citizen

#14 Post by Welsh halfwit »

Vallis wrote:I lost first place by a single point last year. This year, I won't have first place stolen from me. >:)
And you think you were hard done by? :mrgrin:

I'm back for more fun.
Corp Davidstow. Don't mess with the mouse.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#15 Post by Myperson54 »

Good to see you 'round these parts again, Halfwit. I see your name so often reading Housepets! I was beginning to think you loved them more than us. :grin:

Haven't made as much progress on my story as I'd hoped, but for the first time in a very long while, I have a clear vision of the beginning, middle, and end. Here's to hoping I can get it done in time!