Twokinds search [engine(s)]

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: Introducing Twokinds search

#16 Post by amenon »

Two week trip report! No crashes, no outages, page turnaround times in spec, caches operating correctly. Basically, it's been running so anticlimactically well that I've been using my allotted debugging time to work on other stuff.

Is there an Avast user around who could tell me if there's still an issue with that, and/or provide more information?

And here's a more font-compatible silly bit to make up for the previous one: ♪♫
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Kaz
Master

#17 Post by Kaz »

You should add page 542 to the music note search results.

amenon
Grand Templar

#18 Post by amenon »

Kaz wrote:You should add page 542 to the music note search results.
Since it isn't in a speech bubble, you'll find it over in art: ♪ ♫

That's the general rule. There's a few exceptions to it, for dialogue that isn't in a bubble.

amenon
Grand Templar

#19 Post by amenon »

Just an update that I'm seeing some DNS issues with search.over.tk. While it's on the fritz, 2ks.livetolearn.org continues to work.

Part of the excitement of free-as-in-beer dns, I'm afraid. I'll see about other names if the situation persists.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#20 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

hahahahahaha :P
gotta love unicode

Kaz
Master

#21 Post by Kaz »

Use Cloudflare.

Free, and it's good. I use it for my own site.

amenon
Grand Templar

#22 Post by amenon »

Kaz wrote:Use Cloudflare.

Free, and it's good. I use it for my own site.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's not applicable in this instance since I don't control the DNS delegations.

Incidentally, I find the idea of using an international CDN to shave off literally hundreds of kilobytes of traffic a week incredibly amusing. It would make a pretty great success story. I can just see the pull quotes.

Edited to add: I Updated the OP a bit.

amenon
Grand Templar

#23 Post by amenon »

First, a program note. Zen (Natani) [znat] is now a tag, standing for Zen-as-Natani, and implying both Zen and Natani. This is the latest in a series of taxonomical puzzles that can cause the results to look a bit off. For instance, you might be looking for art of Zen and actually find Natani. Or dialogue by Natani, and actually find a line spoken by Zen. Or you could be looking for stuff about Maren, and find Zen posing as her... not to even mention just about everything involving Ephemural.

Since what's correct depends on what you're looking for, I've generally opted for a strategy that allows for the most versatility. So 'zen' will find everything Zen, including posing as Maren and hijacking Natani, and if you're specifically looking for art of Zen and these are not helpful, you could go with 'zen-zmar-znat'. And, of course, if you're specifically looking for Zen borrowing Natani's body, you can find just that with 'znat'. (Note: This was the first time)

Secondly, some utilization stats. The running average is a bit over 100 queries a week (for a total of somewhere between 650-700 queries served so far), with about a 40/60 split between art and text. I'm very happy that people are finding use for it! Ideally I'd like for everyone who would want to know about this to find out, so if you can reach likely people that aren't part of the forum or IRC communities, please consider spreading the word.

And lastly, an anecdote from development: I was tagging my way through and the parser came back with 'Something wrong at <page 24> line 18, skipping'. I go look and the line starts with tags for '[Database Error] thinking thoughts'.

It turned out to be improper quoting, but my first thought was still how did it know?

Happy holidays, everyone!

amenon
Grand Templar

#24 Post by amenon »

SperoWolf wrote: Whoever made this needs to be paid, shut up and take my money :keith: :heart:
I don't take donations, but Tom does. That's where I'd forward it anyway, so might as well skip a step and some fees :P

Let's see, search news... not a lot that's new, except that the preferred address has changed: 2ks.wogcodex.com is now the most canonical, to placate the Avast lady. Thanks again, avwolf!

In almost search news, there's a sister project of sorts: ALL the Comic Threads, an index of discussion threads through the ages by page number and publishing date.

HatGirl
Traveler

#25 Post by HatGirl »

This is awesome! Thank you, kind Sir. Gonna be really helpful to us, translators, too :)
Twokinds in czech / Twokinds česky: http://twokinds-cz.blog.cz/

amenon
Grand Templar

#26 Post by amenon »

I'm happy to report that the search taxonomy still occasionally gets sillier:

In other news, now that we have a new cameo and everything (and since I've learned in my travels that the evil penguin is, in fact, Penpen from Yosh!), I'm going to break cameos out into their own section. To that end... what cameos are there? I seem to know somehow that the pair in the first panel of page 28 (2004-01-02) are cameos, but where from? Anyone know? Anything else you can think of?

Chris
Templar

#27 Post by Chris »

amenon wrote:I seem to know somehow that the pair in the first panel of page 28 (2004-01-02) are cameos, but where from?
They're from RPG World (Hero, the blond-haired one, and Diane, the black-haired one). Unfortunately I don't think the webcomic is online anymore, though you could probably find some archives of it floating around.

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: Twokinds search [engine(s)]

#28 Post by amenon »

Chris wrote: They're from RPG World (Hero, the blond-haired one, and Diane, the black-haired one). Unfortunately I don't think the webcomic is online anymore, though you could probably find some archives of it floating around.
Thanks! Caught 'em. Looking at it, I have the interesting experience of not quite being sure if I've read this before.

July 29th repost:
So apparently the old dns addresses haven't been working for a while. I'll take the lack of complaints to mean that everyone knows to use http://2ks.wogcodex.com :P
They're back now, though.

Also updated the OP a bit and changed the thread title (Old one was: 'Introducing Twokind search')

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#29 Post by Schrodinger »

I don't know if this is limited to just my terminal, but when I search the codex for words it no longer previews the dialog the word appears in. Is this a purposeful change or an error somewhere down the line?

What was it the spider said to the fly...

amenon
Grand Templar

#30 Post by amenon »

Schrodinger wrote:I don't know if this is limited to just my terminal, but when I search the codex for words it no longer previews the dialog the word appears in. Is this a purposeful change or an error somewhere down the line?

It only sends the lines if there are less than 15 results. It's possible that limit should be set higher, but having some cutoff was... fairly necessary :P (Imagine a search for 'a'!)

Aside to avwolf: I guess it is 'the codex' now, huh? :grin: