TwoKinds: Chaos Era

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

Re: TwoKinds: Chaos Era

#46 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:
The Rookie wrote:...Malcolm said smiling, pleased with the pairs reaction. "It's a nice change from the usual wolf who comes in asking for flea powder or a cure all for a simple stomach ache."
Phaing smiles as she thinks Malcom is making a joke, and her smile goes brittle when she sees that he isn't.
Whoa...
She came halfway around the world to meet these semi-mythical Keidran (and for another more dire reason) only ti find out that they are .... rather more down-to-earth than she had believed.
The Rookie wrote:Malcolm tapped twice on the tomb in Phaing's hands "Now this book covers a lot of the basics. This means, cuts, bruises and light burns. Basic first aid with magic really." he went on. "I know it's only a short book, maybe a little over 300 pages, but it's got a fair bit of knowledge packed in there."
"Oh.... wow, like a full-blown healer?" She had not been thinking along those lines, but it makes sense. "Never pictured myself as one of those. This is going to take some time, isn't it?" She glances out the window, wondering how long she can deal with living in a place like this. Its not so bad, she decides quickly, and then turns to Oelei. He's not so bad either, certainly better to her than a man caught in this situation could normally be expected to be.
"How long are we talking? Days, weeks, months?"
The Rookie wrote:"I tell you what. If we're including this gold coin here, I'd say I'd only need another 50 silver from each of you to balance the books. Would this be possible?"
She is about to nod, but glances at Oelei out of the corner of her eye, and hesitates.
"Hey now, lets not forget that there is a Translation Spell in the offing here. It will take just as long for me to show two of you as it would take for one of you, right? It lasts the better part of a day, the daylight part, depending on how good your manna is. The duration halves every time you try to add a language to it, but it can be done. I'll show you how, once I have learned more than the 3-dozen words of Northern Mannish that I already know. So..." sly grin. "Let's get to haggling."

Stryder221 wrote: "Wow... I mean, just... You really know how to keep customers coming back, don't you? Grateful would be an understatement. And the reading? I said I'd help, and that's what I'm gonna do."
Even if it was just a basic tome, Lei still had one of the biggest grins on his face. Not only will he get his hands on a spell tome at little to no cost to him, but he gets to learn a translation spell as well!...!
Phaing actually bites her lip when she looks at him, and then nods.
"Heck of a day, ain't it? Haven't had so much happen so fast since I left Fangore, and this time it's good stuff, mainly. Um..." She holds out her hand to him. "Partners?"
She leans in and whispers; "I ain't gonna hold you to that until after I tell you whats true about myself, okay?"

And if Malcom gives then a curious looks, she just shrugs. "Yeah, well, so we weren't as close as I was letting it look like when I walked in. I come from a place that I'm starting to think was.... unessesesrily mean, or something like that."

Then she winks at Oelei. "But I think we could make a pretty good team. Shall we find out?"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#47 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:"How long are we talking? Days, weeks, months?"
"Depends on just how much you want to know. It might take a week or two to learn all of the basics, but maybe about three days to learn the bare bones of one or two spells in particular." Malcolm explained. "I'm sorry if you've planned to move on before then and I've just gotten your hopes up for nothing. I'll certainly return your payment if that is unfortunately the case." he said with a tinge of disappointment.
Phaing wrote:""Let's get to haggling."
"Unfortunately, I don't really have any use for a translation spell. I can read and write in both human common and low keidran, which is more than enough to get by in these parts. The only other language I don't know is basitin, but let's face it, they're so rare in these parts I doubt you'd ever see two of them in the same room together." Malcolm paused a moment, suddenly reminded that he'd left Tobias in the back now for roughly 15-20 minutes at this point. More than enough time for his self inflicted wound to have healed; in theory.

"Besides, I can't keep the old place going with out being able to afford my supplies. Not just a few minutes before you arrived I spent a large amount of this week's profits buying some ingredients off one of the local foragers." Malcolm gave an apologetic shrug "I'm sorry, but you haven't got much else to offer me here."
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#48 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote:"How long are we talking? Days, weeks, months?"
" Malcolm gave an apologetic shrug "I'm sorry, but you haven't got much else to offer me here."

Phaing is a bit crestfallen herself. This guy wasn't acting, he really was putting himself out for them. Its a pity he has no use for her spell, only cash will do the trick here and he's not really asking for so much, all things considered. She goes to her pack and opens part of it in a tricky way, and then counts out the 50 silver.
"Don't worry about getting any of it back to us, let's call it half of both my and Lei's fee. You will be good for the rest when the time comes, right Wizard? Yeah, we need to talk anyways."
She nods at Malcom. "And you have business to take care of, right? How about we meet you here in the mornin' and work out a schedule? Me & my partner have stuff to do also. Thanks.... for all of it."

And some of the coin is familiar, but she threw in an extra one as a tip. Bronze, not gold, but it may be worth something.
(yeah, still trying to get rid of the money from over there)

"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#49 Post by Stryder221 »

[OOC: I guess I'm getting really bad about procrastination... Sorry for the delay, and this unforgivably short post.]

"Partners." Oalei had quickly agreed, Taking his newest companion's hand and shaking it. "Looks like we'll find out soon. Either way, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship, spell or no spell."
Judging by the look of trust he was giving her, it appeared that the scholar wholeheartedly believed that nothing Phaing could say later was going to make him break his word.

It was then that he turned his attention back to the quite generous healer.
"Thank you. Most businessmen I've traded with haven't bothered to show the generosity you have today, even if you are making a little profit off of it."
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

Phaing
Master

#50 Post by Phaing »

(ooc- was thinking the shopkeeper had something to say, this will come after he takes his leave of us to go to the back room)
Stryder221 wrote:...
"Partners." Oalei had quickly agreed, Taking his newest companion's hand and shaking it. "Looks like we'll find out soon. Either way, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship, spell or no spell."
Judging by the look of trust he was giving her, it appeared that the scholar wholeheartedly believed that nothing Phaing could say later was going to make him break his word...
Phaing smiles brightly at him, and nods. "Glad to hear it! There is still some time left today, want to get started now?"

Before we leave, she pauses at the plants growing in the front window, and sniffs them again. She also closes her eyes and lets one of the ferns brush her cheek, smiling. "Everything is so different, seems like I'm not the only one that comes from far away."

Outside, she is a little more business-like. "You do have the other 50, right? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that's close to what the lower half of this population makes in a month. My mother could make that much in a week, but I would rather not resort to that just yet." She looks at him and bites her lip.
"I just hope I'm as good for you in this bargain as you are for me. I'd be lost as ever and prob'ly getting into a fight by now, if it wasn't for you."

"Zwebi udo ahktikmakt?"
And when he gives her a blank look, she tries once more before sighing and giving him the spell book, firmly.
"Yours, be. Not my speak. You be teaching me you-speak as she is goodly spoke, yes?"

-George Bernard Shaw

Kieth

#51 Post by Kieth »

PLEASE READ

Sorry i've been gone all this time you guys. I've kind of been in the hospital and drugged up for a few weeks. Only thing i had on me was my phone. Apologizes if i've hindered the RP in any way.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#52 Post by Stryder221 »

"Of course I have the other 50 silver. Had, actually."
It was true, and a small jingly pouch back in the healer's shop was proof of it. On the front counter, to be specific. To think, he'd almost forgotten.
Oalei had saved up quite a bit of silver and gold pieces for the last year or so. It was a respectable dent in his current funds, true, but he felt he could somehow earn it back and then some.

However, hearing his companion speak in such a... unique human tongue, was enough to let him know he had his work cut out for him.
Oh dear...

"Yes, I'll teach you. Human speak. Common."
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

Phaing
Master

#53 Post by Phaing »

Phaing has a look that can only be called skeptical (if we are going to be nice about it) when he puts the rest of the money down on the counter. To her way of thinking, he is putting a lot of faith in something that may or may not come to pass.
Stryder221 wrote:"Yes, I'll teach you. Human speak. Common."
She repeats that silently and then starts right in as you are both still walking down the street. "You teach me Human speak." And then she points at herself. "Common?"
Phaing seems to think it is a title, like 'Student'.

After a couple of rounds like that you should reach the Inn. "What word for...?" She has her hand at the door, as if she is holding something and turning it at the keyhole.

Once inside, she goes the the Innkeeper and holds out her hand. "Key?"
She arranged for a room earlier.
Phaing leads Lei up the stairs and into the room. It must be a very common sort, but she makes an appreciative noise and smiles at the size of the bed, which is also nothing special. She starts to unload her gear into the wardrobe and looks at you, apparently in a fine mood. "Good, yes?" And she starts gesturing at various things, wanting to learn how to name them.

-George Bernard Shaw

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#54 Post by Stryder221 »

"No, no. Human speak is common. You are Phaing. Not common. Common is same as others. You want to speak like others. Understand?"
Oalei's plan was simple. Trying to teach a language from almost scratch would be a trial that he would have a bit of difficulty pulling off, no matter how willing he was to try.

He was a scholar, not a language teacher.

The girl would probably learn quicker by putting her limited skill to use, allowing it to expand naturally in conversation. Learn by doing, after all. Just talking to her would probably work.
Teaching the written word would probably be harder, surely an insurmountable task until her speech became competent by most standards.

"Key. For the lock."
The scholar confirmed, nodding at her gesture to the door, which he soon opened for her.

He silently followed Phaing along up into the room, chuckling at the small girl's apparent enthusiasm. "Good, but can do more."
With that thought in mind, he continued to list off the things Phaing was pointing at, from the window to the ceiling to the wardrobe, each time he would name them, pronouncing the words slowly so as to be more easily understood and repeated.

And all the while, Lei had been wearing a warm, patient smile.

Phaing
Master

#55 Post by Phaing »

Stryder221 wrote:"Good, but can do more."
"More?" She looks around, and finds a small door that she had missed at first glance. It is unobtrusive until she opens it. There is a closet-sized commode in there, one open to a chute that carries the waste away to a collection point somewhere down below. It is "modern" and more convenient than a bowl under the bed... but even with a air vent in the outer wall, the smell means that the door should stay closed as often as possible.
Of course, she wants to know what this is called, too.
Stryder221 wrote:And all the while, Lei had been wearing a warm, patient smile.
That is very helpful, encouraging her to keep at it for another hour or two.
Phaing is attentive and very much about the here & now. She takes nothing for granted and is appreciative of everything she gets. Following your lead with conversation she is able to roughly double her limited understanding of the language. But eventually has to stop the lesson, shadows are growing longer outside. So, on impulse, she kisses Lei on the lips and then stands back to cast a spell.
"Okay, thanks so much, but I think that's enough for now. We may have about an hour or so before Supper time, why don't you get to studying that book?" She looks out the window, and points. "That part of the alley is where I will be for a while, I need to do something physical today. See you when they put the chow on!?"

About ten minutes later she is out there, wearing some newly acquired Buckskins that look rough and too big for her, and starts with her exercises. She isn't using the Scimitar, but something much stranger-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ZzQpYigRQ

(minus the chanting, that's a very accurate view of what she would look like using it... even the part where she bips herself in the head and keeps right on going.)
There is a certain element of desperation in her fighting style, as if she is fending off multiple opponents in her mind... and means to win or die trying.
At dinner she seems pleased with herself and has a good appetite. She is also covered with sweat and smells a lot like the alley.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#56 Post by The Rookie »

Malcom waved the pair off as they left his store. Now returning his focus back to the pair in the back room he seemed to have neglected over the last quarter hour.

He entered the room to find Tobias and Quentin in the midst of their own conversation. "Sorry about that, Tobias. That took a little longer than I had planned" Malcolm said apologetically, taking a seat next to the basitin. "It's good to see that Quentin kept you company though." he said looking up to the wolf and giving him a smile. "Did you guys get up to much while I was out?"

"Yeah, just a little small talk with Quentin here and... promising to let him draw a picture of me." Tobias said a little rushed at the end. Malcolm was a little confused by Quentin's request, taking a moment to look up at the wolf, before giving a shrug "Fair enough I suppose."

"I guess it's time to see if that potion will give you the results you were expecting." Tobias added, wanting to avoid continuing that portion of the conversation.

The basitin lifted his bandaged hand which had a little bit of blood splotched soaked in, but there wasn't any pain he could feel from his hand. That was a good sign as he carefully unwrapped the bandaged layer by layer until his hand was free. The cut was gone, replaced by a fresh inch long scar in the palm of his hand.

"Heh, looks like a successful test, Malcolm."

Once the bastin exposed his hand Malcolm began to study the site in great detail. "Interesting, the tissue seems to have completely regenerated. There's no signs of any permanent scar tissue, although the hair follicles at the site may have sustained some damage." Malcolm paused a moment as he looked back to Tobias "May I?" Malcolm asked, holding his hands out as if to cradle Tobias's hand.

He began to manipulate the hand slightly, slightly rotating to better inspect the area. "Let's see. Colouration looks good. There's no signs of bruising, or uneven healing." Malcolm paused a moment "Now I'm going to gently apply pressure to the area with my thumbs. I just need you to tell me if you feel any pain, or any other sensations, such as burning, numbness or anything else unusual, ok?"

"Alright, that sounds simple enough." Tobias said as Malcolm began applying pressure to his hand. It was a quick enough test, no matter how much pressure was applied to his hand, the basitin didn't feel any pain or discomfort nor any unusual sensations. Everything felt just like it was supposed to, his hand was fully healed.

"Well I felt nothing out the ordinary, so my hand is good as new now. I guess you can let go of my hand now, right Malcolm?"
Tobias asked jokingly.

"Hmm? Oh, yes, of course." Malcolm said, his hands retreating quickly to his side. "Sorry about that."

"Anyway, it looks like the test went perfectly. Well at least the healing aspect of it." Malcolm said, slightly worryingly. "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine, however if you suddenly start urinating purple, or experiencing abnormal hair growth, you may want to come back and have me look you over again."

"O-oh, I guess I'll keep an eye out for any... abnormal side effects." Tobias said, unsure if Malcolm was trying to be funny or serious. The basitin hoped he was just trying to be funny, given his previous attempt humor was still fresh on in his mind. Malcolm is an "interesting" person to put it one way.

Malcolm's lack of a follow up to his comment seemed to imply that these were very real concerns. "Make sure that you do, some of the ingredients have been known to have some... Strange effects when ingested by kiedran. I'm not as familiar with your anatomy, but I'm pretty sure you lack the glands that cause the reactions. Pretty sure."

"That's a bit more reassuring. All I have to do is just keep you informed of anything unusual and I should be fine." The basitin said with smile. "So I guess that's it, you have your successful experiment completed and I've regained a memory thanks to your tea. Where does that leave us now? "

"Now?" Malcolm said cheerfully, turning to open a cupboard storing a vintage bottle of Lowland's magically enhanced scotch. While the scotch itself was smooth and potent, the special spell enchanted on the bottle at the time of it's sealing, allowed the brew to remain permanently chilled. "Now we celebrate!"

Tobias took the glass offered to him, giving a nod to Malcolm before he took a sip of the scotch. It was definitely one of the better human alcohols he had a chance to drink but it still couldn't hold a flame to Basitin ale. Though it was rare to find on the mainland there had been a couple of times the basitin had found the ale stocked in some high priced taverns and inns, at more than a steep price too.

"What I wouldn't give to have some of that Basitin ale right about now." Tobias muttered in his native language before turning his attention to the wolf keidran. "Now then, I guess it's time for you to get that drawing you wanted. So what did you need me to do for you, hold a particular pose or just act natural?"

"I think I had a bottle stored in my cellar. That stuff is good." Quentin muttered, slightly directed to Tobias, albeit still in Kiedrian, but only slightly directed towards Tobias. He then took the glass offered to him, and downed the whole thing in a gulp. "But it is nice to have something lighter in a while. That stuff gets me drunk nearly everytime." He grinned.
"Anyway, just sit normally. That way the drawing would be better."

"Alright, that's an easy enough." Tobias said, slightly confused by what the wolf meant, it was almost as if he was commenting on his muttering. The basitin busied himself by straightening and smoothing his clothes out in preparation for Quentin to begin drawing, which took no more than a few moments.

Quentin then sat down on a chair in the backroom and opened his sketchbook.
A drawing slipped out of it, then silently fluttered on the floor. If one could recognize it, it was a drawing of one of the busiest street on the Main Isles. Quentin didn't seem to notice it, instead busying himself into searching for one of the graphite sticks that he had always stored in his pack.

The falling drawing caught the Basitin's eye and he reached over to pick it up. It was a picture of a busy street that he didn't recognize packed with people going about their day. "Hey this looks pretty good Quentin, I can't wait to see how well your drawing of me turns out. Where's this place at anyway? I don't recognize it from any of the towns or cities I've come across around here." He said as he examined the picture closely which looked familiar somehow.

"Oh... Sorry. It from somewhere pretty far away... I don't really remember it myself. It should be somewhere in the East..." Technically he was not lying to Tobias, but he still mentally berated himself for the split second decision that he made. Fortunately the test seemed to go exactly as planned, and Tobias seems to really have forgotten the place, or is either very good at pretending. Anyway, he shouldn't be an agent or whatsoever, coming to assassinate him. He was actually quite lucky that he got an exile anyway. Crimes of his magnitude should have been execution. It was both a mixture of fortunate events and several connections, some arranged by his brother, that allowed him to keep his neck intact.
Anyway, Quentin picked up the paper and slipped it back into his notebook, then proceeded to take out a piece of graphite and a cloth, then started sketching the fellow Basitin.
It wasn't long before Quentin finished, and he showed Tobias his sketch.
"How do you think? Is it good enough?"

"Yeah this looks just like me, even got the scar on my cheek too." Tobias said as he looked over Quentin's sketch, his hand brushing over the scar in question. In his own inartistic opinion, the drawing looked pretty good and he was rather impressed with the wolf's drawing skill. The basitin definitely had no drawing skills beyond simple stick figures and scribbles. "You've done a great job Quentin, you're pretty quick and skilled at this."
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#57 Post by Stryder221 »

The sight of what is for lack of a better word a latrine had caused Lei to raise an eyebrow, briefly taking off his glasses to see if they weren't somehow tricking him.
"Huh. Fancy... A Garderobe, here? I thought only the castles used those..."
Of course, he was quick to go through a couple of alternate names, such as Privy and, of course, Latrine, but didn't bother to provide a description to a subject like this.

However, now that Phaing seemed to be getting a better grasp on the language, he tried using some casual conversation to help her along, asking common questions and making small talk. How the day was, for example. It wasn't perfect, but at least he was sure she was still learning from it.

He was expecting lots of good things from her in the future.
What he wasn't expecting was for the small girl to outright kiss him, leaving him at a complete loss for words.
And if the scholar had to be honest, he was thankful she had left when she did, sparing him from having to explain why his face had briefly gone as red as his hair.

Sighing, he then sat himself down on the bed, cracking open his newest acquisition and rapidly going through the pages.
And then the racket outside had started. Now, it wasn't much, and certainly not enough to completely distract him, but Lei's curiosity was piqued.

Taking a quick peek outside only caused him to raise an eyebrow. Quick, flashy, and certainly impressive to watch, but...
It's just for practice, surely... She'd take a more simplistic, practical style with real enemies. Still, being hit with all the momentum that thing could give...? May as well be getting hit by a flail.

Shrugging, and making a mental note of the sight, Lei went right back to reading, and had soon become mostly oblivious to the time.

Phaing
Master

#58 Post by Phaing »

Stryder221 wrote:The sight of what is for lack of a better word a latrine had caused Lei to raise an eyebrow, briefly taking off his glasses to see if they weren't somehow tricking him.
"Huh. Fancy... A Garderobe, here? I thought only the castles used those..."
Phaing is as puzzled by his reaction as he his by the thing itself. She likes the simplicity of the thing, and mimicks hauling a bucket of water in and dumping it overhand onto the thing. "Done cleaning!"
Stryder221 wrote:Shrugging, and making a mental note of the sight, Lei went right back to reading, and had soon become mostly oblivious to the time.
She comes bounding into the room and claps her hands to get Lei's attention away from the book. "Come on! If you want to eat you need to get down there, now. I sure don't want to miss it, you done for the day or what?"

Downstairs she will want to sit with her back to the wall, and she starts to pick at her clothes before the food even arrives. "I'm gonna have to take another bath before bed, these people are going to think I'm nuts."
It is easy to tell when she is using that spell, and not just because her worlds flow more easily. There is slang, and her use of words is much more casual.
"Was that fella right about that book? A month's work just to get started? A month will be a long time staying in this place. What can we do to make some coin here?"

-George Bernard Shaw

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#59 Post by Stryder221 »

Lei had let out a sigh when his newest companion had bounded into the room, trying to wrench his attention away from his precious... book.
Mumbling something, he had then stood, nose remaining in the book, and had wandered down to take a seat and wait for dinner. While reading.

"Dang, can't tear yourself away from that thing, can you? I guess you won't even want to get a decent night's sleep if you can avoid it. Um, Hello? Lei... okay, I give, what IS it that is so fascinating about that book already?"

Only upon being asked a question related to the tome did he draw even a little attention away from it.

"Hm? Oh, well, it seems that a lot of this is centered around the anatomy of the humanoid body, and that probably contributes to it. I imagine it would take so long to learn mostly because healing is possibly one of the most complex schools of magic available. At least, that's my thinking. Either way, it's very specific about what you do and don't do to close even a light wound, because there would be... consequences, for flubbing it. The least gruesome of which being just accidentally poisoning a patient or causing a bit of pain. True, he said three days for maybe one spell, but with any luck I might be able to deal with small cuts in only one. Let's just say I know a bit more about the body than I really should."

Phaing sits back, a little amazed. "You got that far through it already?You must be awfully smart, or that book is much more direct than what I thought mage-tomes were supposed to be. This really is your field of specialization, isn't it? I don't really have one, I reckon. Jackie of all trades, expert at none, that's me!"
A dark look crosses her eyes, and she glances around. "None that I care to use again, that is."

Her companion only proceeded to rub at the back of his head, a little embarrassed about the praise and unsure what to say about her last sentence.
After a moment, Lei decided to leave the second issue alone.

"Well... I just had good teachers, I suppose. Questionable, sure, but effective nonetheless... Either way, I'm a quick reader."

Before he could return his full attention to his book, he couldn't help but be distracted by an odd smell. He lowered the book, and soon noticed a bowl of some kind of vegetable soup on the table in front of him, presumably along with one for Phaing.

Phaing
Master

#60 Post by Phaing »

Stryder221 wrote: "Well... I just had good teachers, I suppose. Questionable, sure, but effective nonetheless... Either way, I'm a quick reader."
"YOU are a good teacher, I kinda wish I had not used that spell again, I keep wanting to practice more, but I will be asleep by the time this wears off again." She gives him a nod. "Not kidding about that, you are good, and you kept me in one place longer than I'm normally able, you kept me thinking."
Stryder221 wrote:Before he could return his full attention to his book, he couldn't help but be distracted by an odd smell. He lowered the book, and soon noticed a bowl of some kind of vegetable soup on the table in front of him, presumably along with one for Phaing.
Indeed, she has already had a few mouthfulls. Phaing reaches over, gently takes the book and closes it as she sets it down on the table.
"Lei, you know what kind of clients this place gets, remember what happened earlier today? You are the only guy in this place that even seems like he's able to read... let's not stand out too much, aye?"
She smiles and goes back to eating.
"Beisdes, you need to give yourself a break. Relax, enjoy the food, take a gander at some of the local fauna."
She means the customers, some of whom are rather interesting....

(hopefully, the guy running this will be along soon to tell us about them, or something else maybe)

-George Bernard Shaw