Looking for a program (that may not exist)

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

alex3192
Templar GrandMaster

Looking for a program (that may not exist)

#1 Post by alex3192 »

So, I've got a pair of headphones with an in-built mic, and I was wondering if any of you knew a program, app or something that will selectively lower audio depending on detected mic input.

Namely, voice. I'm just looking for something that will let me play music, and automatically lower the volume whenever someone talks to me.

If it can pipe the microphone input through the headphones whenever the ambient sound passes a certain level (and turn down any other programs/apps running in the backround) that would be amazing.

As it stands, I haven't been able to find anything near what I want on the 'net, though that's probably because this is one of the few times when I don't know what to call the thing I'm looking for. :roll:

Platform doesn't matter too much, I've got a windows 2in1 and an android phone, but I can work something out.

Thanks in advance. Or not. It all really depends on if anyone's willing to take time out of their day to help look for something that may not exist. :P
Massage body:
Enter your massage here, it may contain no less than 60000 kneads.

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: Looking for a program (that may not exist)

#2 Post by amenon »

Kind of a key thing: What are you using to talk to people with? :P As I recall, some of this is built into windows, and I'd expect to find settings in any of the typical voice comm suspects -- mumble, teamspeak, et cetera.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3 Post by Bellhead »

So you want something that will lower the music volume when voice is coming through, have a minimum mic input level below which signal will not be transmitted, and be able to hear the playback through the headphones?

Hmm.. Cutting low-level sounds such as ambient noise, if I recall, is usually muting or noise reduction. Probably noise reduction.

As for lowering other sounds when the mic is used, I've seen it before, but I don't know what it's called. Something similar was used in GTA V if I recall; if somebody was using their mic, you couldn't hear the car's stereo. Probably something like microphone signal playback priority, or something. I'll just throw some big words together... But yeah.

So you want to be able to proiritize mic signal, after applying a noise reduction filter. I don't do much of that, so all I can suggest is CoolEditPro 2.0, but that's more for editing after the fact, and it's closing on 15 years old.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

alex3192
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by alex3192 »

I'm not really talking about somethinglike noise filtering or microphone priority. I'm an avid user of Teamspeak and Skype, so that much I'm already aware of.

No, I want something I could potentially put on my phone or tablet that will turn down the music when the guy next to me asks me something. XD

I know I've heard of something like this as a joke, where a guy in the army is tired of tense convoys so he installs a system that pauses the music from this ipod whenever someone keys up the comms net.

Basically, I want something like that. If it detects any real world ambient noise, say, someone asking you a question, it'll turn down the music and/or play audio directly from the mic so you can hear the talking over your music.

So, something that either/or dampens outputted music (android) or gives microphone priority and uses voice activated detection to control minimum detection level (windows)

Thanks for the responses, though. :)
Massage body:
Enter your massage here, it may contain no less than 60000 kneads.