Comic for Thursday, January 28, 2016

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mionikoi
Apprentice

Re: Comic for Thursday, January 28, 2016

#46 Post by Mionikoi »

Diabolicon wrote:Not sure if anyone's pointed it out but Maddie is about Flora's age but Bastians age like humans (Hence Flora's reaction to what's his name wanting to paint Maddie.)
Maddie is 13 almost 14. Just something to note.
Dadrobit wrote: That's fairly disputable. She ~says~ she's young, but we really don't know how old she actually is. Even the character page doesn't admit her true age.
Very true. Then again there is only one person that really knows. That would be the Eastern Basitin King. But I think she's still rather young. No more than 16. Why would she live with the king if she wasn't a minor? Why wouldn't she be married off by now? And then there is that drawing she did. I'm pretty sure shes at least a teenager if not close to being the age she said.
I LOVE WAFFLES! : D

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#47 Post by Dadrobit »

Mionikoi wrote:Very true. Then again there is only one person that really knows. That would be the Eastern Basitin King. But I think she's still rather young. No more than 16. Why would she live with the king if she wasn't a minor?

I'm not saying she's 21 or anything, but even if she is old enough to have her own place, that castle is a pretty big place for the king to live alone in. So why not have her daughter there and keep her marginally more safe than if she were to be sent to the female sector?
Mionikoi wrote:Why wouldn't she be married off by now?

Because their standards of royalty and marriage and ours are vastly different? And she's likely either a very young adult or still a minor.
Mionikoi wrote:And then there is that drawing she did.
A clever ruse.
Mionikoi wrote:I'm pretty sure shes at least a teenager if not close to being the age she said.
If I were a bettin' man, I'd say upper teens.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#48 Post by SpottedKitty »

FrogSteaks wrote:Apparently taverns are the first buildings to go when a town gets raided. :roll:
A roleplay group I was in a few years back had a tradition of starting adventures in a tavern.

Which would promptly burn down, explode, fall down, etc. Lots and lots of etc. Actually getting out of the place in one piece was in there somewhere, usually not at the beginning... :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Warrl
Grand Templar

#49 Post by Warrl »

Maddie is an infiltrator. If you aren't in her chain of command AS an infiltrator (or if she isn't talking to YOU at the moment), don't trust what she says about herself.

Consider:
* She's in the military - as an officer.
* She's regarded as one of their best spies. This regard does not come without experience to back it up.
* She's of high enough standing to fill in for the Intelligence General at Keith's trial, since the old one is dead and the new one isn't settled on yet. (But of low enough standing that the contenders for that spot don't see her as a threat.)

(Note: I conclude that she isn't in fact the Intelligence General because she ran off to join Keith's group - a commanding general should not do that unless specifically ordered to do so personally and NOT send an underling in his/her place, and would have to appoint an underling to act as temporary commanding general in the interim. Also, she's a lieutenant - which, in that division and being a spy rather than an analyst, means she has little to no experience of being in command of subordinates.)

There is no inheritance of rank in basitin society. Being a child of a high-ranking person - even the king - may have its benefits in terms of education/training and opportunity to be seen, but it doesn't get you rank if you can't deliver the performance.

Frankly, assuming basitin age exactly like humans, I'd be surprised if she's under 18.

Of course, that does leave the interesting genetics question of how the largest basitin we've seen is the mother of one of the smallest adult basitin we've seen. But then, we haven't seen the father.

Phaing
Master

#50 Post by Phaing »

Bellhead wrote:
Welsh halfwit wrote:Maeve's tail is enormous!
Well, she's not the first. Linked 'cause huge.
Yes it is, TY for that.

Lovely... that's not in Deviant, is it?
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#51 Post by SirJahar »

Warrl wrote: Frankly, assuming basitin age exactly like humans, I'd be surprised if she's under 18.

Of course, that does leave the interesting genetics question of how the largest basitin we've seen is the mother of one of the smallest adult basitin we've seen. But then, we haven't seen the father.
We also know the the Basitian military recruits from an early age, as young as 5 years if not earlier. We also don't have a lot of information on the separation of enlisted and officers, if there is any, nor how many ranks they use.
It also seems the familiarity of the terms used to name the ranks we have seen have caused several assumptions to be made in regrades to the structure of the hierarchy.
What's my point? I wouldn't be surprised if "Lieutenant" was the average rank of early to mid teens in the Basitian army. A "Junior Officer", emphases on Junior. Plus, Intelligence tends to be (by head count) a smaller part of any army than Combat Troups, so there's less competition for promotion.

Mionikoi
Apprentice

#52 Post by Mionikoi »

Warrl wrote:Maddie is an infiltrator. If you aren't in her chain of command AS an infiltrator (or if she isn't talking to YOU at the moment), don't trust what she says about herself.

Consider:
* She's in the military - as an officer.
* She's regarded as one of their best spies. This regard does not come without experience to back it up.
* She's of high enough standing to fill in for the Intelligence General at Keith's trial, since the old one is dead and the new one isn't settled on yet. (But of low enough standing that the contenders for that spot don't see her as a threat.)......
Or it could simply be her natural ability to be sneaky, disappear quickly, and cause large amounts of chaos. Maddie Addie you know? Perhaps (and maybe Tom added this to make her something close to a comic relief?) being a child and causing havoc go hand in hand? : D

Phaing
Master

#53 Post by Phaing »

xboxgamer969 wrote:
Ace5762 wrote:
xboxgamer969 wrote:
Ace5762 wrote:Flora's gonna be a cool mom.
Tiger Mom is best mom ;p
Oh my god, I never realized Flora is going to be a literal tiger mom. She's going to force their baby to take extracurricular study and learn the cello.
It was supposed to be an undertale reference but oh well I tried lol, anyways I can't wait to see if the baby will be human or Keidran or a mix of both? kinda like Raine

Undertale?
Well, I have no doubt that Flora will be awesome as a mom, I just hope Trace is still alive to see it.
And, just one? I thought little Tigers came in twos or threes.

They will be good-looking, smart, and energetic if their parents are any clue.
And... they may also have a difficult time finding a place for themselves in this world, outside of Orchard valley.

Unless....
What if it wasn't just Trace and Flora this miracle became possible for?
Has anyone wondered about that?
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#54 Post by SirJahar »

Phaing wrote: Unless....
Several people, repeatedly. And based upon what we've seen in the comic, most assume Flora is having just the one... for now.
Their is in fact an on-going idea that a good number of the inter-racial couples in Orchard Valley have found themselves with little ones on the way, having assumed, rightly so, that such was supposed to be impossible. Though now I'm wondering about the human village up north in Snow Wolf territory, too, since apparently, from what I've seen in the last few threads, there's some Human-Wolf couples up there.

Mionikoi
Apprentice

#55 Post by Mionikoi »

Phaing wrote:
Unless....
MEE!!! I've wondered about that. I also wondered if there was a possibility of seeing more Keidrans who can change into humans and so forth. : 3 I also wonder if Raine's dad might have a longer life span BECUSE he can change into a human..... The 'what ifs'! The 'what ifs'! They are endless!!!
SirJahar wrote:....Though now I'm wondering about the human village up north in Snow Wolf territory, too, since apparently, from what I've seen in the last few threads, there's some Human-Wolf couples up there.
Where? : D

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#56 Post by SirJahar »

http://img14.deviantart.net/acfe/i/2012 ... 4wjhd0.jpg
The blue "town" icon in the upper-left quarter.

Phaing
Master

#57 Post by Phaing »

SirJahar wrote:
Phaing wrote: Unless....
Several people, repeatedly. And based upon what we've seen in the comic, most assume Flora is having just the one... for now.
Their is in fact an on-going idea that a good number of the inter-racial couples in Orchard Valley have found themselves with little ones on the way, having assumed, rightly so, that such was supposed to be impossible. Though now I'm wondering about the human village up north in Snow Wolf territory, too, since apparently, from what I've seen in the last few threads, there's some Human-Wolf couples up there.
You mean Ditteridge?
I didn't know there were many couples there of that sort, but its a good place for that sort of thing. A Human village in Snow-wolf territory that is so well balanced that if syou went and told them they had to go to war with each other, they would kill You instead :D

Good call, I will have to keep that in mind.

-George Bernard Shaw

musicgeek
Apprentice

#58 Post by musicgeek »

Mionikoi wrote:
Phaing wrote:
Unless....
MEE!!! I've wondered about that. I also wondered if there was a possibility of seeing more Keidrans who can change into humans and so forth. : 3 I also wonder if Raine's dad might have a longer life span BECUSE he can change into a human..... The 'what ifs'! The 'what ifs'! They are endless!!!
The most plausible theory I have for Euchre's aging is that he's artificially extended his life with the help of magic and potions, and that without these, he may have died before now. On shape shifting, I believe Raine is unique in the fact that she inherited the ability to (albeit not very well controlled) shift between her two forms from her father, and that this isn't a universal trait for all human/keidran hybrids. I could very well be wrong, but this makes sense to me at least. As usual there are probably massive gaping holes in my reasoning :P
oh god what do i put here

Mionikoi
Apprentice

#59 Post by Mionikoi »

musicgeek wrote:
The most plausible theory I have for Euchre's aging is that he's artificially extended his life with the help of magic and potions, and that without these, he may have died before now. On shape shifting, I believe Raine is unique in the fact that she inherited the ability to (albeit not very well controlled) shift between her two forms from her father, and that this isn't a universal trait for all human/keidran hybrids. I could very well be wrong, but this makes sense to me at least. As usual there are probably massive gaping holes in my reasoning :P
I don't think so. I was just thinking of the possibility of other keidran learning how to do what Euchre's has.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#60 Post by SirJahar »

I'd have to ask one of the Vet's to confirm, but I think I've seen that Tom said that Euchre's extended lifespan is not tied (at least not directly) to his shape shifting, and will not be explained until it HAS to be, because it will have bearing on the plot.