Rant/Vent/sad thread

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 6274
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: https://goo.gl/7ARWF4
Favorite Character: Kat

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20056 Post by TinyVoices »

While on mobile, the https link to the forum (check the bulletin board) sends up warning signs and the like, but I am able to access the site. I'm unsure what the difference is going to be, exactly. Why does my browser think that the site is not safe and untrustworthy? Why is this a "good" thing to have the forum do? Why are we unable to go with something that does not behave this way?

User avatar
amenon
Grand Templar
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20057 Post by amenon »

TinyVoices wrote:While on mobile, the https link to the forum (check the bulletin board) sends up warning signs and the like, but I am able to access the site. I'm unsure what the difference is going to be, exactly. Why does my browser think that the site is not safe and untrustworthy? Why is this a "good" thing to have the forum do? Why are we unable to go with something that does not behave this way?
At a guess, you don't have the necessary root CA installed. I can probably tell for sure if you give more info than 'warning signs and the like' :P

Or if you think I'm the trustworhty sort, you could poke at [redacted] with your phone and see if it helps.

As for the why, it will prevent passive eavesdropping on the connections. That can actually be a very real problem on someone else's wifi, and it's still a problem in general. Probably not a very real one though.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)
     
My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

User avatar
aj
Consistently Inconsistent
Posts: 1725
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20058 Post by aj »

TinyVoices wrote:While on mobile, the https link to the forum (check the bulletin board) sends up warning signs and the like, but I am able to access the site. I'm unsure what the difference is going to be, exactly. Why does my browser think that the site is not safe and untrustworthy? Why is this a "good" thing to have the forum do? Why are we unable to go with something that does not behave this way?
Try again now? This is why I wanted people to test it.

As to moving to a secured connection: From your point of view, there should be no real difference. Instead, anyone else (like your ISP) won't be able to tamper with your connection. For example, AT&T injected ads into unencrypted traffic, and Verizon silently added an advertising ID that you couldn't stop. And they did it to everyone who went through certain points in their network. Your ISP might be doing something similar...

Or if you check your PMs in a Starbucks/anywhere with open WiFi, anyone with a sniffer could be reading your messages, or stealing your password. This one is unlikely, but it's so trivial to do that it's installing 2 programs and checking a checkbox, and you're capturing traffic. Also, the DEFCON Wall of Sheep exists.

Moving to HTTPS stops all this. The price of a SSL cert is now cheap enough that even as a uni student I can justify paying the cost out of my own pocket (Tom had nothing to do with this)
===
Also, anyone else seeing this - please test your browser, and post your issues in the proper thread. Not here. I only know about TinyVoice's issue because amenon linked to his post.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

User avatar
DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20059 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

I saw a post on my Facebook that actually managed to make my blood boil. This was shared by one of my friends, who also happen to share stuff similar to complaining about the confederate flag being banned. This one was a picture of Obama with the book "The Post-American World" and a long paragraph on how it's disgraceful that he's reading it and it has no place in the US.

I read the first chapter. It's not Anti-America. The basis of the book is that the rest world is catching up to America, and in several cases, surpassing the US, and as a nation, should embrace this, and work with it.

Seeing this person, who shares anti-censoring/banning posts share something that criticizes a perfectly good book, just because it has an anti-american name, makes me want to go to Pluto and never return. Even Pluto may be too close for what I feel.

User avatar
midnightblink
Council Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 am
Location: Troutdale Oregon

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20060 Post by midnightblink »

I got my swim bag stolen at today's tournament, jokes on them though, all it had in it was an ugly towel and a pair of boxers. I did have to dry myself with paper towels though, so I'll call this gg
Image
Primum Non Nocere

User avatar
TheFrozenSlime
Templar
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:37 am
Location: In front of my computer/ nose in a book

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20061 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

You guys know how Markiplier recently teamed up with Cyndago? Here's why Mark couldn't make videos for a while.

Devastating. Absolutely devastating. He was just in this video. RIP.

The title of their last video is such dark forshadowing.
Image
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Procrastinator Extraordinaire and Connoisseur of Fine Distractions,
Self-Proclaimed

Ham
Banned
Banned
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:09 am

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20062 Post by Ham »

TheFrozenSlime wrote:You guys know how Markiplier recently teamed up with Cyndago? Here's why Mark couldn't make videos for a while.
I hardly know what to say... It's incredibly saddening, I hope Mark and Co. are holding up alright...

User avatar
Vintage
Certified Fool
Posts: 1212
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 3:32 pm
Location: Planet Zambodia
Favorite Character: Natani

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20063 Post by Vintage »

TheFrozenSlime wrote:You guys know how Markiplier recently teamed up with Cyndago? Here's why Mark couldn't make videos for a while.

Devastating. Absolutely devastating. He was just in this video. RIP.

The title of their last video is such dark forshadowing.
I just read the post right off of Facebook. I'm absolutely speechless.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

gertok9
Master
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:34 pm
Location: The Battleground of the Gods

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20064 Post by gertok9 »

TheFrozenSlime wrote: The title of their last video is such dark forshadowing
I noticed that too. In fact, they changed the name of the video this morning...
Unofficial editor/proofreader of Twokinds
How triggered are you right now?
Image
Image

User avatar
TheFrozenSlime
Templar
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:37 am
Location: In front of my computer/ nose in a book

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20065 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

gertok9 wrote:
TheFrozenSlime wrote: The title of their last video is such dark forshadowing
I noticed that too. In fact, they changed the name of the video this morning...
In case anyone didn't see it, the title was changed from "Watch Cyndago Dye" to "We Dye Our Hair"

I makes it extra sad because they were doing this to prevent that kind of stuff.
Image
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Procrastinator Extraordinaire and Connoisseur of Fine Distractions,
Self-Proclaimed

User avatar
FrogSteaks
Grand Templar
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20066 Post by FrogSteaks »

Mark posted a rather heartfelt post to the Cyndago guys over on his Facebook page. It's kind of lengthy so I'll link it, but I highly recommend reading it if you haven't already.

And to Daniel, I may not have seen too many of your videos, but from what I did see you looked like you were enjoying yourself, and you definitely made me laugh. Thank you, my friend. I know I speak for everyone here when I say I will deeply miss you.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky
Image
Image

User avatar
Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: New England, US
Favorite Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20067 Post by Bellhead »

I have to read a bunch of excerpts from several books for Gender Race and Crime, most of which are low-quality two-color scans from their original sources. And on top of barely being able to read that without falling asleep in my chair, I have to revise
(get this)
an essay about my own opinion of the negative social impact of tablet computers (NOT the negatives of tablets themselves) in the third person with at least two highly credible primary sources that back up my opinion. The fact that there's not a person on this Earth who thinks the way I do about this stuff, coupled with the fact that I'm an engineering student in a writing class, basically means that "opinion" means not fact-based, "third person" means fact-based, and "credible source" is basically anything that's NOT a book, newspaper or website, but which must be easilly accessable, and which must share my ideas on a subject where nobody thinks the way I do.

The last time I had this much trouble with a literature class, I wrote about the Fandom, and got lucky as hell that nobody recognized it. The time before that, I wrote about the Michigan Madman, a motorcycle daredevil on the drag strip, overshadowed by Evil Kineval in the 60's and 70's, and nobody recognized him. That kept working, as long as I could PICK the damn topic I choose tho write about, because I was CERTAIN about the subject matter. This is no longer a world I'm glad to be a part of, nor is it one I respect, and if I say that in a college essay, I'll either get a zero, or I'll get sent to a shrink.

TL;DR: Ugh.

EDIT:
Post 1987, watched Mark's playthrough of FNaF 4, found a really good Game Theorists video on it dated Sep. 19, couldn't find it again.
Gearhead in the digital world, who will probably grow up to be a very grumpy old man.

User avatar
DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20068 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

My university's internet decided that it doesn't want to be able to buffer a video at 144p

EDIT/UPDATE: They sent out an email stating the details of the internet maintenance, The only problem is that the internet is too slow for me to even open it.

EDIT/Update #2: It's back. Read the email, said to limit music/video streaming to a minimum and do not do speed tests. I probably tried 5 tests, 15 videos, and Spotify... oops

User avatar
TheFrozenSlime
Templar
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:37 am
Location: In front of my computer/ nose in a book

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20069 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

Image
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Procrastinator Extraordinaire and Connoisseur of Fine Distractions,
Self-Proclaimed

User avatar
TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 6274
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: https://goo.gl/7ARWF4
Favorite Character: Kat

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#20070 Post by TinyVoices »

I've never felt such an odd mix of both empathy, and apathy. On the one hand, I realize the grievance of death and the effect that this matter can have on oneself, but on the other hand I did not pay enough mind to Mark's videos to even know who Cyndago was, much less Daniel, until this reveal.

Hell (and I suppose this is to a lesser note) I didn't even know why they dyed their hair until after some serious digging. This stuff doesn't seem to be headlines.

Post Reply