Idea for a roleplay

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

MainEventMan

Idea for a roleplay

#1 Post by MainEventMan »

Hey! I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong. I would like to plan an RP, but it's not gonna be anything serious, like with stats, and combat systems and stuff like that...it's mostly going to be a narrative story driven RP. I just want to RP Twokinds with someone. We can plan the story here. If you're interested, let me know, and post about your character. ^_^

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

Re: Idea for a roleplay

#2 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

Well, hello Maineventman and welcome to twokinds. Now I don't want to completely derail your thread, but you might want to introduce yourself to the newbie boards if your have not yet.

Anyways, you mentioned a game without combat systems and stats, but rather narrative and story driven; well, may I add that you have came to the right place as we lack any means of dice rolling within the forum itself. As for your twokind rp, I wont say you shouldn't make one, in fact you maybe surprised by the amount of people who may be willing to join, but I would like to suggest as kindly as possible that you may want [censored] a little more to your RP than simply "Here's twokind rp, go." Where is your setting located? What are your rules? What do you consider power-gaming and what do you consider metaplaying? Can or will anyone b playing the main characters? Will they even be present?

I wont stop you from making a Twokinds RP, in fact I encourage it, but you may want to set up some parameters and a character sheet to approve or disapprove certain characters.

Anyways, good luck with your RP and Have fun.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

Alright, it's late so I might not mention everything, but here's the lowdown:

EDIT: Dammit Geo, I got here first!

Don't worry if your game has a combat system - most games with combat are on-the-fly, since combat systems are best suited to an actual tabletop game.

For some reason, Twokinds RPs don't tend to do amazingly well here. I think this is in part due to the existence of a continuing story already set in Mekkan, although this sounds like it would be unrelated to the main plot. There's also the issue of world building in someone else's world, although some writers can handle that.

As for the structure: I highly recommend poking around at other OOCs to see how they work, and maybe some interest checks as well. Generally, people will post characters after they've been given a setting and a premise, and some guidelines to follow. On a related note, the story of an RP should probably be done by you and not the players, otherwise the game's purpose is defeated.

Finally, one last recommendation is to join a game here before you try to run one. We have some unspoken rules as well and written ones (which you should read if you haven't already) and it helps to know how we work before trying to host a game. Trust me, I know from experience.

Anyhow, maybe someone else will have a comment. Probably y7 will, so he might pick up any loose ends I forgot to have.

Also: I know I sound really discouraging, but I'm seriously glad to have another roleplayer with a good written voice. We always need more. So I don't mean to tear you down, just to caution.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

MainEventMan

#4 Post by MainEventMan »

Thank you both for your criticisms.

I didn't exactly post the story I had in mind because...it was kind of open ended, and I felt no one would like it. ^_^;

I assumed it would be in Templar Territory, in the forests, just outside the borders of the Tiger Keidran territory. Primarilly it would be a forest location. My character is a Templar who defected from the order, traveling the land and freeing Keidran slaves, trying to insight a rebellion...and I assumed I would just cooperatively work on a story with whoever wanted to join. And You're right...I should have posted a character sheet in the first forum...heh.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#5 Post by Myperson54 »

MainEventMan wrote:Thank you both for your criticisms.

I didn't exactly post the story I had in mind because...it was kind of open ended, and I felt no one would like it. ^_^;

I assumed it would be in Templar Territory, in the forests, just outside the borders of the Tiger Keidran territory. Primarilly it would be a forest location. My character is a Templar who defected from the order, traveling the land and freeing Keidran slaves, trying to insight a rebellion...and I assumed I would just cooperatively work on a story with whoever wanted to join. And You're right...I should have posted a character sheet in the first forum...heh.
Open-ended stuff isn't inherently terrible, but it really requires you as a GM to redirect players silently to a united goal. It's best to plot out how you want things to go down, and make the players work together to achieve those goals
That said, you don't have to plot out every detail. Just make points about the basic order of major events if you want, and let player interaction fill in the gaps. It's their interaction which brings your story to life after all. In that sense, you don't need a ton of help with plotting out a full story right now; you just need a series of objectives and one or more ways to introduce them to players.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

MainEventMan

#6 Post by MainEventMan »

Thanks very much....alright. I'll post an outline as to how I want the story to go down, and I guess we'll fill in the gaps as we go. ^_^

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#7 Post by y7h65 »

You don't necessarily have to post a plot outline. You just want to give the players something to start with, an idea of where it'll be going, and an expectation of what will the main focus of the RP. E.G., is it a combat heavy RP? A more character interaction based one? Maybe even a swashbuckling high adventure RP? You want the players to know what to expect going in, so they don't make characters that are wildly out of place with what you want to happen.

Also, character sheets are usually hosted in the RP's Out Of Character (OOC) thread itself. Ignore the character sheet thread, nobody actually uses that for an RP.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

MainEventMan

#8 Post by MainEventMan »

y7h65 wrote:You don't necessarily have to post a plot outline. You just want to give the players something to start with, an idea of where it'll be going, and an expectation of what will the main focus of the RP. E.G., is it a combat heavy RP? A more character interaction based one? Maybe even a swashbuckling high adventure RP? You want the players to know what to expect going in, so they don't make characters that are wildly out of place with what you want to happen.

Also, character sheets are usually hosted in the RP's Out Of Character (OOC) thread itself. Ignore the character sheet thread, nobody actually uses that for an RP.

I was planning on having it be more character interaction based, with some high adventure here and there. The story is going to be about A templar human (played by myself), gathering up others to join his freedom fighting group against the Templars, freeing Keidran slaves and what not. I can make some edits to it, but that's basically what I was planning on doing. Players can either already be apart of the group, or be someone the group encounters along the way.

Thanks so much for all the help guys, really. I wasn't expecting this. XD :heart:

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#9 Post by y7h65 »

Well, if you really want to run it, I would recommend gathering your ideas and then looking at one of the other OOCs to get an idea as to how to structure your ideas into an OOC thread. Don't get discouraged or try to match what you see if you can't. A lot of the OOCs in the sub-forum here nowadays are made by people who may quite literally have been RPing and making OOC threads for years. But just looking will give you some idea as to how to start arranging your info into a nice clear form which will help attract players.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

MainEventMan

#10 Post by MainEventMan »

I may just do that. Thank you very much.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#11 Post by y7h65 »

MainEventMan wrote:I may just do that. Thank you very much.
You're welcome. If you need any help or further information, don't hesitate to ask some of the other people that are frequenters of this subforum. I'm many of them, myself included, will be willing to answer your questions. Do keep in mind to pay attention to their last visited date though. Some of the people that used to post here no longer are on the forums and will probably not respond.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.