ALL the Comic Threads (and some historical curiosities)

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

amenon
Grand Templar

ALL the Comic Threads (and some historical curiosities)

#1 Post by amenon »

A comprehensive(?) index of comic discussion threads and the thing being discussed, by comic number and date. Should make it a bit easier to find out what people were saying about a specific comic at the time, or to look into stuff that isn't in the official archive anymore.

Figuring out where the discussion threads are was originally part of the design spec for search, but I never ended up implementing it there. Decided to collate the data anyway and put it here, because I know I could'a used it a few times. Hope I'm not the only one!

Sorry about the space-wasty formatting, but it doesn't look like our flavor of bbcode has tables and I couldn't think of a better way. Just CTRL-F for whatever page number or date you're looking for.

I only did manual verification where things looked weird, so something might be pointed incorrectly. Do let me know!

Edit 2015-05-31: Now augmented with fillers and other materials!

Historical content was sourced from: Jumplinks: Those things that are not in the official archive have page number NaN and are color-coded:
------------
Something by Tom
Something by a guest artist
Something that was never even on the front page, but somehow ended up in this index

Page # - Comic date - Thread
-----------------------------------
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: ALL the Comic Threads

#2 Post by amenon »

How 'bout that 60k character limit, huh.

Those things that are not in the official archive have page number NaN and are color-coded:
------------
Something by Tom
Something that was never even on the front page, but somehow ended up in this index

amenon
Grand Templar

#3 Post by amenon »

Those things that are not in the official archive have page number NaN and are color-coded:
------------
Something by Tom

----------------------------------- Out of space and combo-broken! 900+ can be found here.

Thallium
Templar

#4 Post by Thallium »

Incredibly nice job there. I sense a sticky in your future...
Image Image

What I cannot create, I do not understand.
The imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#5 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

This does deserve a sticky, in my opinion.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

ReBob
Council Member

#6 Post by ReBob »

Go figure, I needed something like this for help in making some personal OCD lists. I know how I'm spending my next few days weeks.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#7 Post by TinyVoices »

amenon wrote:How 'bout that 60k character limit, huh.
By God. I have never seen a post hit the 60k limit.

And I approve of this, even if there are no inherent discussable things about discussion threads.

amenon
Grand Templar

#8 Post by amenon »

ReBob wrote:Go figure, I needed something like this for help in making some personal OCD lists. I know how I'm spending my next few days weeks.
What are you looking for?
TinyVoices wrote:By God. I have never seen a post hit the 60k limit.
Well, my other recent work would have also done it if it was inlined :P Entertaining Possibilities [NSFW] is ~100k characters as the eye sees, without formatting.
TinyVoices wrote:And I approve of this, even if there are no inherent discussable things about discussion threads.
Oh, but there is!

How about a riveting look at dupes through the ages?

[Dupes]
Or how about cheeky people posting the thread before the comic even exists?

[FastChapter%]
No? Well, here's a real thing. This is a list of threads discussing stuff that once graced the front page, but is in the archives no more. I pointed some of the easy ones to where they can be found today, and the newer end of it still has working images inline... but if someone wants a bit of a puzzle, you can try and figure out where the rest are.

I'll probably inline these in the list above at some point, to slot them into their chronological context.

[Lost to the ages]
And if someone thinks those are too easy, I could always dredge up the voting incentive threads - where linking the image is against the rules.

ReBob
Council Member

#9 Post by ReBob »

amenon wrote:
ReBob wrote:Go figure, I needed something like this for help in making some personal OCD lists. I know how I'm spending my next few days weeks.
A variety of things. Nothing really important. How do you find the time for organizing a list like this though?
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Thallium
Templar

#10 Post by Thallium »

ReBob wrote:
amenon wrote:
A variety of things. Nothing really important. How do you find the time for organizing a list like this though?
Programming my friend. This man is good at programming.
Image Image

What I cannot create, I do not understand.
The imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man.

amenon
Grand Templar

#11 Post by amenon »

Thallium wrote:Programming my friend. This man is good at programming.
Man, woman, very bad markov chain generator... I'm cagey about the specifics :P

People are free to assume a sex or gender for me, and I'm fine with eithet set of pronouns. But since this is the first time it's come up, I'm taking this opportunity to go on record as not being on record 8)
ReBob wrote:How do you find the time for organizing a list like this though?
As Thallium said, programming, though there's a good bit of manual drudgery involved in this. I grabbed all the comic forum indexes from both boards, and very conveniently it turned out everything I wanted was on one line -- making for easy grepping. To take an example...

Code: Select all

<a title="Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:06 am" href="./viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15639" class="topictitle">Twokinds Translations</a>
Since the OP post time is in the title text (which I didn't even know previously!), that's everything I need; time, link, topic title. A bit of scripting to separate the variables and massage the time into a useful format, and I had a list of all the topics that I could match up against the comic publishing dates.

That was when the drudgery aspect came in, flagging the relevant topics and joining it to the list of comics. Done in a spreadsheet, because, really, you can't do a lot better than that for generic data manipulation. An automatic solution would probably work really well if I had the exact publishing time for the comics, but with just the date there's too much room for error. And there's certainly some anomalies; one of the comics had the comic itself, the thread, and the thread title all be on different dates :P

But a large part of the point was actually to have a mindless activity; I prefer to have something to do other than stare at a wall when I'm thinking, and I've had the great fortune of having had a lot to think about lately.

Two more points of discussion!

The Dawn of Time:
I have peered into the dawn of time, and determined that before the now-Archive forum, there was an original (call it ur-archive) forum that went up in flames. It seems unlikely that anything from there is recoverable, and my attempts with archive.org have not even been able to ascertain where it was. Maybe someone can do better?

The Great Mystery of #187:
Rather conspicuously, after #148 (where the Archive Forum kicks in), there is a single thread missing: #187. The date was May 4th, 2005... and there was probably something up with the forums, because the only thing between May 2nd and May 9th is a few deleted threads. Do you remember why you weren't posting in a comic discussion thread ten years ago? :P

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#12 Post by Bellhead »

amenon wrote:The Dawn of Time:
I have peered into the dawn of time, and determined that before the now-Archive forum, there was an original (call it ur-archive) forum that went up in flames. It seems unlikely that anything from there is recoverable, and my attempts with archive.org have not even been able to ascertain where it was. Maybe someone can do better?
Uhh.. Possibly. Gimme a sec...

Ah here we go. Check in here. The link was in Tom's DeviantART, in a submission titled "Sahra-Ki". Great story behind that picture, too...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

amenon
Grand Templar

#13 Post by amenon »

Bellhead wrote:Uhh.. Possibly. Gimme a sec...

Ah here we go. Check in here. The link was in Tom's DeviantART, in a submission titled "Sahra-Ki". Great story behind that picture, too...
Thank you! We can now see as far back as a mere 29 pages after the big bang, though it takes a while for the picture to become less spotty.

I may have missed some threads, and the filler list has not yet been augmented with this new technology. Further review forthcoming at some point.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#14 Post by Myperson54 »

Man, you are frighteningly efficient with these lists. What do you use for all your projects? Perl, Lisp, Python?

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

amenon
Grand Templar

#15 Post by amenon »

Myperson54 wrote:Man, you are frighteningly efficient with these lists. What do you use for all your projects? Perl, Lisp, Python?
I did the scripting for this bit in perl. To a great detriment, since I don't actually know perl, as I remembered when I was trying to figure out how to access the nested hash array that the Proboards JSON decoded to. (The HTML there doesn't have everything conveniently greppable like phpBB does, but they do have a list of the topics on the page contained in some Javascript object or function call. I should have probably used javascript to get at that, to be honest.)

Search is written in Go, and Entertaining Possibilities is a mix of US and British English :P

By the by, someone with a more archivist bent might want to consider creating a mirror of those old forums. They've kept ticking for ten years, but who knows when they'll disappear in a puff of logic?