Twokinds search [engine(s)]

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

amenon
Grand Templar

Twokinds search [engine(s)]

#1 Post by amenon »

The current address is http://2ks.wogcodex.com

So I hear you like looking stuff up in the comic! That's why I made this search engine. Or actually, it's two search engines. (Or maybe two kinds of a search engine?)

Anyway, the first one is for finding things based on what's in the picture. Like, say, places where Keith and Natani appear together, because who doesn't like that?
(Click for big)

The other one is for finding things based on what's in those dialogue bubble thingamajics. For example, if you want to have that whole old argument about mono/polytheism, you could look for when 'god' or 'gods' has come up.
(Click for big)

The above examples use the archive browser, which I find pretty convenient, but it does pretty much require FullHD+ resolution. The default is just the results without the archive pane, and the links behave like normal links. Use whichever makes sense!

There's actually quite a bit of useless and amusing funcationality there, so you may also want to look at the tag list and the help section. Anyway, the whole thing is online at http://2ks.wogcodex.com (Domain provided by our most gracious avwolf.)

I can guarantee that there are errors in the data, but not very many. If something doesn't seem to make sense, do let me know. Errata and bug reports to this thread, by PM, or to amenon on the NightStar IRC Network (AKA the place where the official chat is).

The address is, again, http://2ks.wogcodex.com

If the main address doesn't work for some reason, you can also try these two older, now-alternative names: (Courtesy of afraid.org; these make Avast unhappy)
http://search.over.tk
http://2ks.livetolearn.org (These are now both dead forever.)

Some Q and A:

Q: I'm not going to read the help section! What should I really know?
Text: The search is exact and literal. You may want to look for stuff like basitin|basitins, because neither will match the other. The scope is single 'lines' of dialogue (usually a bubble), so you probably want to look for a very small amount of words.
Art: The most useful thing has to be looking for a character or multiple characters, perhaps in a specific setting. So for instance I might search for raine red and have a bunch of results to narrow down, or search for raine red inn and find exactly what I'm looking for. Beyond that, you should just know that you can look up all kinds of weird stuff if you've a mind to; r:keidran/hug/r:human isn't even a very outlandish example. Refer to the tags for all the things you can search for, and the help for usage details.

Q: I want to know what people were saying at the time! How about linking to the discussion threads for the comics?
A: I considered doing this, but at least so far have decided not to because reasons. Instead, you can find a cross-reference of comic pages to discussion threads here: ALL the Comic Threads (Also works as a reference for old fillers and other stuff that isn't in the archive anymore!)

Q: What about old alt texts?
A: I've got a little something for that. Works with the actual archive, so also works with the search archive browser -- because it is the actual archive. Handy, huh?

Q: So what's the deal with the Archive Browser? (AB)
A: It's a convenience feature so you can more easily check through results without losing context. More technically, it's an iframe target for the links that go to the archive on keenspot. Intended for FullHD or higher resolutions and not recommended under, on account of all the pixels. And don't worry, it's benign, sanctioned, and does not benefit me in any way. Except good karma if you like it!

Q: You don't have the newest page!
A: I hope you can remember that one! The aim is to match whatever is in the archives, and the newest page isn't in there. I can also occasionally get a bit more behind, but I figure people aren't really looking for stuff that just happened, anyway.

Q: Where's the exact line between art search and text search?
A: If it's in a speech bubble (or dialogue, there's a few bits that aren't bubbled) it should be findable in text search. If it's outside a bubble and not dialogue, it's in art. This exact distinction mostly only matters for deeply silly things. (Hooray for unicode!)

Q: That's a pretty rad domain name.
A: Shoutouts to avwolf for spotting me a subdomain on wogcodex.com! I'm incredibly amused that the only thing on there is literally the canon.

Q: So, err, what's the actual name of this thing?
A: Twokinds search. I guess technically the software would be named search. If you want to be technical about it. But this thing here is called Twokinds search, or 2ks/tks for short.

Q: TAKE MY MONEY?
A1: NO. Please donate to Tom instead.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

Re: Introducing Twokinds search

#2 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

This sounds useful.

Thanks, amenon.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

MantaWaffles

#3 Post by MantaWaffles »

My Avast auto-blocks it based on many votes. Methinks I shall forgo the search.

amenon
Grand Templar

#4 Post by amenon »

MantaWaffles wrote:My Avast auto-blocks it based on many votes. Methinks I shall forgo the search.
The over.tk domain must have been used for some nasties at some point, or else avast is really distrustful. Let's see if there's anything to be done about this.

Edit: Could you let me know which component/feature of Avast has an issue with it? I'm not very familiar with the product.
Edit 2: Now also available at 2ks.livetolearn.org, could you confirm if Avast likes that one?

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#5 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Ahhh this is brilliant!!! :D
I have been wanting a text searcher for twokinds for ages!

mycatiscrazy
Merchant

#6 Post by mycatiscrazy »

Awesome! Thanks amenon!
"When in doubt, C4" - Jamie Hyneman

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Dadrobit »

Tested. Works like a charm, this is much appreciated and will be used thoroughly. :)

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#8 Post by Schrodinger »

Now this'll be useful.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#9 Post by Him »

Oh gods... I needed this -thank you.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#10 Post by CrRAR »

Ha, this is pretty great. The second I saw "Introducing Twokinds search" I thought, "Yeah, that would be awesome to have a searchable PDF or something." You obviously went all out with an index and web-hosted solution. This will make "archive diving" a thing of the past!

Did you do this for a school assignment or did you just take it on as a personal project?
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

amenon
Grand Templar

#11 Post by amenon »

CrRAR wrote:Ha, this is pretty great. The second I saw "Introducing Twokinds search" I thought, "Yeah, that would be awesome to have a searchable PDF or something." You obviously went all out with an index and web-hosted solution. This will make "archive diving" a thing of the past!

Did you do this for a school assignment or did you just take it on as a personal project?
Alas, I'm a bit past school assignments. This is purely a contribution to show my appreciation.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It makes up for the regrettable lack of stuff to fix.

And as a ten post bonus, have one of the silly things nobody is very likely to stumble upon: (silly)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#12 Post by Bellhead »

amenon wrote:And as a ten post bonus, have one of the silly things nobody is very likely to stumble upon: (silly)
Not loading for some reason...

Anyway, after reading this thread, I have a few things to say:

Thank you, first of all. This is much needed by many, and will be much appreciated and utilized.

Request a sticky. That will make it easier to find later when posts die down.

Things like this make people like me who know the comic by heart obsolete. Today is a bad-ish day for me, but a fantastic day for everyone else, so I really can't complain. Oh well, time keeps marching on, I guess.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

amenon
Grand Templar

#13 Post by amenon »

Bellhead wrote:Not loading for some reason...
Curious! What browser are you using?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#14 Post by Bellhead »

Firefox, oddly enough.

And by "doesn't load", I meant the (silly) link. Search works well for me.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

amenon
Grand Templar

#15 Post by amenon »

Bellhead wrote:Firefox, oddly enough.
Curiouser and curiouser. Can you elaborate on the symptoms? Though, if it's that you're seeing the unicode replacement character, the joke is that
Spoiler!
I transcribed the bit on the page that has a knife-through-heart. Though I had to paraphrase a bit.