Star Citizen

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Star Citizen

#1 Post by Insomniac »

Lads and lassies, ladies and gentlemen, and others, I present to you, what has the potential to be the ultimate space sim...Star Citizen. I am as psyched about this game as Angry Joe is...though I won't be able to play it, not unless I get some hulked out monster of a gaming PC some time between now and the estimated release of 2014. This game...Just...All of my want.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

Re: Star Citizen

#2 Post by Insomniac »

Sorry to post again even though this thread has gotten no comments in so long, but...I have to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcelfmiRMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Un1pEr5tA

My body is ready...12/14/14
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Lyendell

#3 Post by Lyendell »

Hoo boy, looks like that is going to take a monster PC to run.
May try to get in on that alpha/beta if I can manage to get a new computer.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#4 Post by Insomniac »

Oh hey, a comment! Well, a newbie's better than nothing, dude. Welcome to the madhouse by the way.

This game...This game is looking like what I've dreamed of for years. A space sim with the freedom of EVE Online and the controls and graphics of a sim, plus a singleplayer mode, and no subscription fee. What more could one ask for?

OCULUS RIFT. Oh yeah, this game with the Oculus Rift.

laseki
Citizen

#5 Post by laseki »

Woo, got my old account back.
I can't even imagine what this game would be like on the rift, kinda wish I would have backed the thing.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#6 Post by Myperson54 »

Insomniac wrote:Oh hey, a comment! Well, a newbie's better than nothing, dude. Welcome to the madhouse by the way.

This game...This game is looking like what I've dreamed of for years. A space sim with the freedom of EVE Online and the controls and graphics of a sim, plus a singleplayer mode, and no subscription fee. What more could one ask for?

OCULUS RIFT. Oh yeah, this game with the Oculus Rift.
Man, I just saw the first episode of Sword Art Online, and now all I can think of is this, with OR and the free physics system of Divergence Online. Hell yeah.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by avwolf »

I'm really fascinated by what RSI is doing with their multiplayer, if I am understanding their comments right. It's more like they're making it almost...optional. If I have followed their comments correctly, you won't necessarily interact with a lot of other players unless you want to. Though I'm not sure I really have a solid understanding (and it's been many months since I read those posts).

Also, the in-world fiction so far has been awesome. If the writing in the game holds up to the standard, it's going to be super cool.
Lyendell wrote:Hoo boy, looks like that is going to take a monster PC to run.
Yeah, the Crytek 3 engine looks gorgeous, but I can't imagine it's going to be, ah, resource-light. Of course, my favorite of Chris Robert's Wing Commander games, Privateer, wasn't exactly light-weight for its era either. The boot disk I had to run it would let pretty much anything run, it was the tightest tuned boot system I had.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by EvilNinjadude »

avwolf wrote:Yeah, the Crytek 3 engine looks gorgeous, but I can't imagine it's going to be, ah, resource-light.
I'd rather it be resource-heavy and run well on good systems than it using 25% and running like crap on every machine.
With my PC, imma get showered in feels either way.

Anyway, my first post here. I find this game intensely intriguing. Gonna watch it closely -- but not too closely. They take their community interaction seriously, so looking at everything would soak up free time like watching a new TV series.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#9 Post by Envy661 »

Perhaps I should mention I have the Digital Bounty Hunter pledge, and am going to be upgrading to Arbiter, and then Freelancer.

Yeah, this game is 90% what I would like to do in a space genre MMO.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#10 Post by Envy661 »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... 0-Released

Arena Commander v1.0 is out, and so is every single single-seat ship currently.

I'm going to be perfectly honest here. I haven't played this newest update of Arena Commander yet, but CIG needs to do a lot to impress me at this point. With the unintuitive and just plain uncomfortable combat controls, as well as the fact that Elite: Dangerous has done nearly all that Star Citizen has promised (and this from a game that's development started around the same time as SC), I've lost a lot of faith, as well as steam on the hype train that is Star Citizen. Could the new Arena Commander change that? Maybe. Will it? That remains doubtful.

I will say though. I have officially picked up Elite Dangerous, preordered for it's launch which was on the 16th. It is a very addicting and HUGE game that runs extremely smooth. You can play solo, group with friends in a private multiplayer lobby, or play online. All experiences are linked, so your ships and credits remain the same no matter which mode you're in. As stated before, it does everything Star Citizen promises except player movement outside your ship, but Frontier Development has already stated that it's one of their next goals in this huge universe. I highly recommend everyone check it out for the time-being. Especially since it's out now, and Star Citizen is still planned for a 2017 release (Last I checked).

http://elitedangerous.com

I will say Elite Dangerous lives fully up to the hype in a way Star Citizen never did for me. Not to mention the combat mechanics are the smoothest out of any space flight sim I have ever played. I truly love this game.

I'll continue to follow Star Citizen and hope it gets better. I invested a ton of money in it, and since I doubt I can get a refund (nor would I want one, at least until I know for sure exactly what direction the game is going to take), I've got no reason not to do so. I love the concept of Star Citizen. It would be a shame if it was all for naught just because the combat is utter [censored].
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#11 Post by ButterBall »

Is either Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous single-player only? Because if so, then I may check it out.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#12 Post by Envy661 »

ButterBall wrote:Is either Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous single-player only? Because if so, then I may check it out.
Elite Dangerous dropped their always offline singleplayer because they stated that the entire experience they created wouldn't be what the actual game was supposed to be in that event. So what they have now in Elite Dangerous is an online Singleplayer experience. What this does is, trades, missions, and everything else other players do, that change the economy and alter the game carry over, but you never have to worry about running into player characters. The Private group option is essentially the exact same thing, but allows you to play with friends.

A lot of people complained about them removing the always offline singleplayer option. Many people dropped preorders and requested refunds, which were given to most of them. Personally, after hearing how long they spent on making this ultimate decision, I don't blame them for doing it. They tried to get it to work, but they couldn't, because players affected the entire economy in the game, and taking that away would leave only you to influence it, do all the discoveries, etc.

Star Citizen on the other hand, while it has a singleplayer experience (Squadron 42), the persistent universe is an always online server where you group with other players in instances to play. Private servers are available for you and your friends, but they haven't given much other information on that at this time. However, Star Citizen has a slider in the main game that allows you to adjust how much PvP you want to do. If you want to do none, there's an option for that.

Of course, this is all speculation at this point (It's what CIG said was going to be in Star Citizen), because CIG is really struggling to make good on their promises so far, unlike Elite: Dangerous.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#13 Post by ButterBall »

Oh. Probably won't check it out then. At least not for a long while. I hate games that require online singleplayer. I don't and have never had a good and stable Internet connection to make those kinds of games run smoothly.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#14 Post by Envy661 »

ButterBall wrote:Oh. Probably won't check it out then. At least not for a long while. I hate games that require online singleplayer. I don't and have never had a good and stable Internet connection to make those kinds of games run smoothly.
Unfortunately, with the massive flop X Rebirth was, if you like Space Combat Simulators, Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen are your only options for a new title.

I heard somewhere that Elite Dangerous' calculations for the online singleplayer only require about 128kbps, but I'd have to doublecheck that. Or, since it's your internet, you could look for the info on that. I know it requires very low bandwidth, but better safe than sorry.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#15 Post by ButterBall »

If nothing else I can keep doing what I've been doing: playing through the old titles I never got to as a kid. They may not be modern, but they're new to me.